Why do my cans sound so good connected directly to the laptop?
Feb 14, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #31 of 33
I am using a Toshiba M45-S325 with Soundmax soundcard.
I own SR-225 and PX100, and I echo that these two headphones sound good out of my laptop.
Better yet, my laptop allows me to boot into a media playing mode without entering Windows, and when I run this on batteries, the sound is pristine. In this mode it sounds pretty close to my Sony SACD/DVD player that costs $1000 in 2001, and definitely better than M-audio Transit.
This again convinces me that DAC chips are getting better and better and in a few years most half-decent DACs will sound similarly good.

Feb 14, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #32 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
...This again convinces me that DAC chips are getting better and better and in a few years most half-decent DACs will sound similarly good.

May well be. In my experiences, though, the headphone amp in a rig is more important than the source. This definitely applies to running headphones straight off your laptop, as you're subject to the internal DAC and whatever amp or other audio circuitry the soundcard happens to have built-in.

Feb 14, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #33 of 33
Ive just started getting into concert DVDs on my d600 (sigmatel chip) sounds great into px100 ... a very laptop friendly set of cans by the way this thread reads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back