Why do my 125s sound better the325is
Jul 10, 2005 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

milesbeyondjazz

500+ Head-Fier
I bought and antique sound lab tube amp a week or so ago,and my Grado 325is sounded way to bright and tended to distort at higher volumes.So I bought some Senn Hd 600s and they are a perfect match for my amp.Great sound.So I figured Grados just did'nt match up well with my amp.Then I plugged in my older 125s and was amazed at how good they sounded.No ear splitting highs,just real smooth.I figured if the amp would'nt match up well with one Grado it would'nt really sound good with any Grado.The 125s are older and have more hours on them.I have about 60 hours on the 325s.Should I just sell the 325i's and keep the 125s?.Or will the 325s improve with age?
confused.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 10
I was wondering how you were liking the 325i's. It is a very articulate can, so problems in your system are being exposed IMO.

The distortion is from the amp and IME brightness is from a source, and if your Sony CDP has that signature Sony sound, most likely that is it.

Let me rephrase, matching problems in your system are exposed. 60 hrs is more than enough. My ears became accustomed to the 325i in the first 10. Dump the cans and save the system. Otherwise, spend more money upgrading, sidegrading, tweaking components in the hope that you will like the 325i, bah!

Jul 10, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 10
I liked my sr 125's more than my sr 225's. I've never heard the sr 325's so I can't comment on them directly. I've discovered two truths about headphones from the situation with my Grado sr 125's and 225's. One is that sometimes less expensive headphones do sound better. And, the other one is that headphone performance is system dependent. In one system the 225's sounded better, in the other, the 225's sounded better. Ultimately, the Grado 225's were displaced by AKG K501's....but that's another story.

Jul 10, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #4 of 10
It might really be a product of your source and you just don't know it. If that's the case, the more revealing can will sound worse.

If anything, the SR-125 should seem more on the brighter side because they don't have as much low-end as the SR-325i (they're both pretty bright, though). I've never been a particularly big fan of tube amps with Grados, but YMMV.

Just keep the HD600/SR125 if you like them and sell your 325i.

-Matt

Jul 11, 2005 at 12:15 AM Post #5 of 10
be patient with them, i'll bet they'll grow on you. i find a lot of my headphone purchases disappointing at first. but now i really like the 325i's.

also, what kind of music are you listening to that you find too bright on the 325i's? i dont think extra screechy guitar solos and 325i's mix very well, unless you back off the volume a little bit. however, if you're listening to well recorded acoustic guitar or something, the 325i's are pretty incredible.

did you try putting flat pads on them? i prefer the bowls, but some people really like the flats. try the sennheiser 414 pads. for $6, why not.

Jul 11, 2005 at 12:25 AM Post #6 of 10
IMO the 325i is a totally different beast than the other prestige series cans. The highs on the 325i are unbearable to me. I prefer the 225 to the 325i. So in this sense, I also prefer the 125 to the 325i as well, because the highs aren't as ear-aching on the 125.

If you like the 125 more, then by all means sell the 325i (if you don't like the 325i). That money would come useful for other upgrades
lambda.gif

Jul 11, 2005 at 12:29 AM Post #7 of 10
Hi,

As the rest has said, it might be your source. To attenuate the brightness, you may want to try a "warmer" sounding interconnect. Also, you may want to try using the 325i with the Grado headphone extension. For myself, it brings a better balance to the sound (more bass bounce which somewhat brings the treble under balance) for a marginal loss in absolute transparency. Of course, factor in running in of the extension cable.

Cheers!

Jul 11, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #9 of 10
Sennheiser HD414 pads. No comfies, ratshacks, unless you can't order stuff online. They're cheap and soft, you can get a few pairs for less than a 20. One to mod, another for stock. And maybe one for "oops!". Only downside is that they're yellow. Bright yellow.

If you're hardcore, upgrade all your stuff and get some flats and keep the bowls.

Jul 11, 2005 at 12:50 PM Post #10 of 10
Thanks for all of the advice.I'll more than likely keep the325is.I have plans somewhere down the road for putting together a second stereo in my den,useing vintage equipment.Maybe they will match up better with and old Marantz or Sansui intergrated amp?Or maybe with a little more burn in the 325s will settle in a little more.But I love the Senn 600s.One very smooth sounding phone.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back