Why do many Grado RS-1/2 owners are disappointed?
Feb 24, 2004 at 8:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

NEO

500+ Head-Fier
Why do many RS-1/2 owners are disappointed with them? I have read many guys said that they are not so happy with their purchase. This information is from my thread about "Expensive buy in audio that disappointed you". I have seen this saying in some other threads also. Just wonder what's wrong with the RS series since most SR series are ranged from very good to great. Is this because the RS series do not meet the expectation considering their hefty price tag?

NEO

Feb 24, 2004 at 9:09 AM Post #2 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by NEO
Why do many RS-1/2 owners are disappointed with them?

I was disappointed by the sound of my RS-1. It wasn't a good sound. I had a hard time listening to the RS-1 for more than 10-15 mins.

It's also very hard to find a suitable amp for these cans. The prevailing opinion is that the Grado RA-1 is a very good match, and I think that is true. However, numerous head-fi members have observed that the RA-1 amp sounds even better with the top-of-the-line Sennheisers, and I second that.

At first glance this tells you something about the qualities of the RA-1 as an amplifier, but if you think again it also tells you something about the RS-1's qualities as a headphone...

Feb 24, 2004 at 9:40 AM Post #3 of 27
I was also unhappy with the sound, and the build quality of the RS-1's when I had them.

Feb 24, 2004 at 9:52 AM Post #4 of 27
I guess it's a hit or miss thing. I was so happy with RS-1s I gave away my hd-600s. I usually run them out of a meta42 but I find they run pretty well out of an mg head otl-h too. (surprising ain't it?)

And for now I'm trying to get that OTL32 on the for sale forum right now to upgrade that.

Feb 24, 2004 at 10:19 AM Post #5 of 27
Few, if any other, headphones seem to create such a strong love - hate relationship as Grado RS-1. I love it when it works, if I didn't have other headphones to switch to when it doesn't work, I would hate it too.
RS-1 is fast, punchy and with some kind of flow that gives an exciting presentation of some recordings, especially rock but not only rock. Then it gives a fast and dynamic presentation where I find that for example HD650s are a little slower and sometimes tend to lag behind rythmically.
RS-1 doesn't even work for all rock but works for example for Rolling Stones. I haven't yet found the criteria when it works and not. I have wondered it it could have something to do whith the speakers they have used for mixing and mastering the albums. Nik said that it has a "rock equalisation" and I think this is a very good description (actually Nik's statement was on PS-1 but I think it is even more valid for RS-1). This equalisation, or the frequency response, can result in a treble quality that can be more or less disturbing, sometimes extremely.
It seem that PS-1 can be a solution, although expensive. But is it as good as RS-1, when RS-1 is good?

Feb 24, 2004 at 12:33 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Anders
RS-1 doesn't even work for all rock but works for example for Rolling Stones.

Did you have the opportunity to compare the RS1 with the SR225 and/or SR325 for Rolling Stones? If so, was the RS1 a clear winner?

Feb 24, 2004 at 1:26 PM Post #7 of 27
greenhorn, RS-1 is a clear winner. It has more bass, is more detailed and has better overall control than SR-225, that I owned previously. For example Sticky Fingers (remastered) sounds very, very good with RS-1. I think SR-225 has esentially the same punch and drive but is too weak in bass. It is less detailed and this is a minus on good recordings but can actually be positive on recordings with less quality as it is more permissive.
I haven't heard SR-325 but it seems to have clearly more bass than SR-225. Impressions from reading is that SR-325 could be the harshest in the line from SR-225 and up. I think that SR-225 is very nice rock headphone for the price.
The greatest strength of the Grado line is on PRAT but they have some colorations in the frequency domain, e.g. a treble that can be too harsh sometimes but in other cases give extra excitement.

Feb 24, 2004 at 2:09 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Anders
The greatest strength of the Grado line is on PRAT but they have some colorations in the frequency domain, e.g. a treble that can be too harsh sometimes but in other cases give extra excitement.

Hey Anders, I agree with the above statement, but it is the coloration that leads me to take the RS-1's off my head after a short period of time. I find the sound to be artificial due to a thick, syrupy midbass and an ultra bright treble. The overall tonal balance just doesn't do it for me. It's a shame, because these headphones do have a lot of good qualities but I just can't get past the bad ones.

Feb 24, 2004 at 2:35 PM Post #9 of 27
"The greatest strength of the Grado line is on PRAT"

Interesting since I think they mate extremely well with my NAIM CD5.

I just got another pair of RS-1's last night. I was listening to the music and my legs started moving. Happy feet!

The Grado line is definitely emotional. There doesn't seem to be an in between, it’s either Love or Hate. You have people here who bash them relentlessly. Almost like a jilted lover.

Mitch

Feb 24, 2004 at 6:31 PM Post #10 of 27
I love the sound of the RS-1, I just cant stand its fit...its so uncomfortable! I tried all the pads, but its just unbearable to wear for long periods of time.

Apr 9, 2004 at 7:37 PM Post #11 of 27
I think that's a very generalized and prejudicial statement. I purchased the lauded Sennheiser HD 650 and couldn't appreciate them beyond 1 week.

For my ears they were immensely uncomfortable and big. And their sound while audiophile correct failed to allow me to hear the heart & soul of the music. I guess they lacked personality.

However, the Grado RS 2 satisfies my soul immensely even straight out of an iPod. They are a lot more comfortable than the Senn's, which felt like a vice grip.

There are no absolutes in this hobby/passion of ours and every opinion is seasoned with someone elses personal preferences.

The road to happiness is audition, audition and audition! Let your ears be the judge.

Apr 9, 2004 at 8:37 PM Post #12 of 27
Personally, I think pads have a huge part in all of this. I was a huge grado basher until I heard them with flat pads. Up until that point, they were just painfully bright. Flats really are the way to go.

Apr 9, 2004 at 10:02 PM Post #13 of 27
When you pay attention to one particular thing you tend to see it everywhere.... although I don't have statistical data I am pretty sure just as many people buy sennheiser / stax / sony etc and are not satisfied with their purchase, also people tend to see what they want to see when they feel disapointment themselves IME.

Apr 14, 2004 at 4:19 PM Post #14 of 27
as mentioned before you either like them or you just plain hate them
I would disagree that the build quality is not good.these phones definitely have one of the best headbands i have found.
also the cable is of a high quality.
the plug is quality material and the sound, what do i say, Sheer Joy.
It depends on what you use your headphones for...
I want my headphones to get rid of tension,, buolt up frustration from workk which these do for me.
After listening to these , I can go back and do it all over again.

So yeah try them, If you do not like them return them
You could always go to headroom who have a 30 day return policy which in my opinion is fantastic.
Sadly they do not ship to Australia because of the STUPID GRADO POLICY of jacking prices up in other countries.
Thankfully for me Alessandro fills the gap.

Apr 14, 2004 at 4:39 PM Post #15 of 27

Users who are viewing this thread

Back