Why do iPhones phones suck for audio processing and playback?
Sep 21, 2017 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

SPL Tech

New Head-Fier
I have a set of Bose Soundsport headphones I use while running and I am willing to spend the extra time needed to set an EQ to make them sound really good. However, what I've noticed is the iPhone (in my case the 6s) just outright sucks for audio processing--specifically, the applications available that play mp3s on the phone. I am completely unable to find any EQ app (paid or unpaid) that can allow me to increase some of the bands (mostly bass and treble) without clipping and distorting the signal. Even adding +3dB at 64 Hz. causes distortion on some songs. At first I thought the headphones just weren't as good as I thought until I tried using them on my computer. With Windows Media Player I am able to add more than +10dB @ 64 Hz. without causing distortion and clipping the signal.

So, the question is why? Computers and phones dont have actual preamplifiers like a mixer or graphic equalizer used for professional audio would, it's all software. As such, why does no one have a solid app in the app store that can amplify different bands appropriately without clipping the signal and sounding like complete crap? Even apps that claim to be "studio grade" and intended for "processional use" (yea, like pros would use a phone for processing audio....) still completely suck, even compared to WMP which is an outdated, consumer level playback program.

Sep 22, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #2 of 10
One of the first rules of EQ (at least for those who are serious about it) is that you should reduce the gain in your player by at least the amount of your largest boost/cut in order to avoid clipping/distortion, and then use an external amp to control the volume.

Sep 22, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #3 of 10
Don't EQ above the 0db line, instead reduce everything by 2 or 3db and EQ up towards 0db. This way you aren't boosting frequencies past their normal limits. Your music may not get as loud, but you will eliminate your distortion problems. Loudness isn't much of an issue with more sensitive headphones.

Sep 22, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #4 of 10
Don't EQ above the 0db line, instead reduce everything by 2 or 3db and EQ up towards 0db. This way you aren't boosting frequencies past their normal limits. Your music may not get as loud, but you will eliminate your distortion problems. Loudness isn't much of an issue with more sensitive headphones.
That wont achieve what I want. Cutting and boosting are two completely different things that produce different sound. Setting the EQ to - 10dB across the board and turning the volume up to compensate sounds completely different than setting the EQ to 0 dB and turning the volume down. Setting all the positions to a negative on the EQ does not equally reduce the volume of the whole frequency range, it creates peaks and valleys to the adjusted frequency. Try it in Windows Media Player on your computer.

Sep 22, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #5 of 10
That wont achieve what I want. Cutting and boosting are two completely different things that produce different sound. Setting the EQ to - 10dB across the board and turning the volume up to compensate sounds completely different than setting the EQ to 0 dB and turning the volume down. Setting all the positions to a negative on the EQ does not equally reduce the volume of the whole frequency range, it creates peaks and valleys to the adjusted frequency. Try it in Windows Media Player on your computer.

What he suggested is akin to what the most experienced users of EQ do: instead of boosting the frequencies you want to boost, you instead reduce the other frequencies, thus achieving the same balance, but without the issues inherent to boosting the frequencies in the digital domain. Unfortunately, this method requires greater skill and effort.

It's also a good idea to use a quality parametric equalizer.

If you reduce all frequencies by an equal amount in a parametric equalizer, it would be the same as turning the volume down, as that's literally what it's doing. The reason you're experiencing something different is that you are using a lower quality equalizer that only lets you control a few frequencies.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #6 of 10
I have a set of Bose Soundsport headphones I use while running and I am willing to spend the extra time needed to set an EQ to make them sound really good.

EQ doesn't exactly work like make up though, where you can take somebody totally ugly, do contouring, and voila - somebody with the total opposite of clear skin looks like they have perfect skin, at least for pictures (make up like that looks really, really, really weird in person - kind of like what medieval Japanese make up looks like), and along with hairstyling, you can reshape a not cute, not round, shapeless face into a hot face with concave cheeks.

Personally you might as well spend the extra time and maybe less money on something else, especially if you've already tried Neutron Music Player which has variable center frequency, gain, plus curve type and Q factor.

However, what I've noticed is the iPhone (in my case the 6s) just outright sucks for audio processing--specifically, the applications available that play mp3s on the phone. I am completely unable to find any EQ app (paid or unpaid) that can allow me to increase some of the bands (mostly bass and treble) without clipping and distorting the signal. Even adding +3dB at 64 Hz. causes distortion on some songs. At first I thought the headphones just weren't as good as I thought until I tried using them on my computer. With Windows Media Player I am able to add more than +10dB @ 64 Hz. without causing distortion and clipping the signal.

So, the question is why? Computers and phones dont have actual preamplifiers like a mixer or graphic equalizer used for professional audio would, it's all software. As such, why does no one have a solid app in the app store that can amplify different bands appropriately without clipping the signal and sounding like complete crap? Even apps that claim to be "studio grade" and intended for "processional use" (yea, like pros would use a phone for processing audio....) still completely suck, even compared to WMP which is an outdated, consumer level playback program.

That's not primarily a function of the iPhone or whatever other source you happen to be using. The first thing that might be affecting that are everything downstream from the source, particularly the amplifier and the speaker/headphone, which could both be at their limits already. Sure, Bose would use a high efficiency driver, but that's to use a low power consumption, low output amplifier that doesn't have gigantic capacitors so as not to clip the signal while still having good damping factor. That or there really is a lot of distortion on the drivers or they're at their excursion limit.

Given that Bose is a DSP-dependent brand what I'd guess is it's a mix of both, plus the possibility that its BT-DAC-amplifier circuit already applies its own EQ profile to make those headphones sound good (rather than designing a really good driver to begin with). You're basically EQ-ing a driver that already has a boost on that frequency, and you're clipping the signal. Add crappy Loudness War recording "standards," and you're even closer to clipping. That's like ordering a pizza from a chain that by default piles on too much toppings, then you order more toppings, and you end up with a soggy pizza with way too toasted meat at the top layer.

Cutting and boosting are two different things, you're just not focusing on the critical difference that he's tallking about. Boosting takes you closer to clipping, even on the most powerful amplifier and the best driver with longest excursion, so instead of boosting the frequency you want to bring out, you're supposed to trim the frequencies around it. For one, do you even have a baseline for what you're doing? You need to be looking at a response graph to really even know what you're doing with EQ, mostly because most people using EQ use it to flatten the response. And in your case if you can't hear 60hz-ish that well, what if the problem isn't simply that it starts trailing off around that point, but that it has a massive spike above that (or below)?

This is like modifying a recipe - you don't simply add more of one thing, you cut the other stuff if they're overwhelming. Same reason why you don't add a lot of salt especially if you're already using something with a good deal of sodium, like soy sauce, taste as you go, then tweak the salt and pepper near the end.

Sep 24, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #8 of 10
So the question that still remains, why is the phone not capable of boosting frequencies to the same level as the computer? It's not a matter of the headphones. The headphones are not the limiting factor, it's the software apps on the phone. On my phone, I can play a song, boost the bass say +3dB and experience extreme saturation and clipping. I can then take the headphones and play the exact same song on my computer with +10 dB of bass boost at the same frequency and the signal does not distort at all. As such, it's not the headphones that are the limiting factor. In effect, a phone and a computer is more or less the same thing. They contain the same components: processor, storage device, memory, operating system, ect. So why can a laptop add 10+ dB of boost with zero distortion but my phone distorts when adding only 1-2dB?

Sep 24, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #9 of 10
So the question that still remains, why is the phone not capable of boosting frequencies to the same level as the computer? It's not a matter of the headphones. The headphones are not the limiting factor, it's the software apps on the phone. On my phone, I can play a song, boost the bass say +3dB and experience extreme saturation and clipping. I can then take the headphones and play the exact same song on my computer with +10 dB of bass boost at the same frequency and the signal does not distort at all. As such, it's not the headphones that are the limiting factor. In effect, a phone and a computer is more or less the same thing. They contain the same components: processor, storage device, memory, operating system, ect. So why can a laptop add 10+ dB of boost with zero distortion but my phone distorts when adding only 1-2dB?

My first guess is that the cause is the software you're using on the phone. I'd suggest trying higher quality equalizer apps. You can look up "iPhone parametric equalizer" (without the quotes) on Google to find a selection of options.

Sep 24, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #10 of 10

I've used an iPad as a music server and briefly also an iPhone 6 (primarily to test DAC compatibility), but with my EQ profiles on some app I forget now (stopped receiving updates and all that) where I boost 20hz to 50hz (more at the lower end) to catch up to 1000hz and I'm not getting any distortion. Something like +5dB at 20hz and +3dB at 45hz.

The real and most likely difference now is the software. Do they sound identical before you apply any EQ boost to either? The Bose might be detecting the iPhone and it has its own EQ profile when used with it (kind of like how LG's B&O audio has a Grado-fying EQ profile). Or your version of the iPhone has that EQ built in to boost anything used with it, or it's the Bose app doing the bass boost but only with the iPhone.

Alternately, it could be the quality of the EQ app you're using. Did you try NeutronMusicPlayer? Player interface kind of sucks but try this profile:

Band 1
Center Freq : 70hz
Type : Low Shelf
Q : 1.4
Gain : +3dB / +6dB / +9dB

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back