why do i need a sound card?
Jun 10, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #16 of 47
Quote:
What makes the AD700 need an amp and the A700's not?  The AD even has a lower impedance.  My A700's get absolutely no benefit from an amp.

This doesn't seem relevant, but, some people find both of them improve with amplification.  It might be more noticable in the bass of the AD version, just because of the open setup.  (If I recall, the AD is the open one, right?)

Also, my post earlier totally got deleted.  I thought it was classy.

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #17 of 47
He Gonna want a sound card for the AD700s, They do not sound good coming off onboard. I should know, I had to use the AD700 temporay on  onboard audio back when I was waiting for my prelude. I had to use some old USb Sblive device for the time being. Since the onboard audio made them not sound the way they should be.

Jun 13, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #20 of 47
The AD700 dont need to be ran thru a amp, they will run from a sound card. They just do not sound that well running off onboard but will sound better off a sound card. I had the AD 700 perosnally they do just fine running off a card like a Xonar DS without a amp. Aslong its a sound card the AD700 will sound much better. Then they would  running off onboard.

Buying a amp for the Ad700 would be a waste of money when all he needs is sound card/usb sound device, The AD700 isnt a Ultrasone HFI-780 or any other headphone that req a headphone amp to sound there best.Which why a cheap sound card like the one I mention as well as a X-Fi music/Gamer or whatever will be enough. Now Unless he planing on going from the AD700 to headphones that will req a amp, Then a DAC amp or a sound card with a amp will be more idea for him. Tho theres nothing wrong with having any one for the future. So he doesn,t do it then when he needs to and have it now.

As for the digital, There are people which perfer analog and then those who perfer Digital. He might not like the sound of digital Tho he might not like the sound of analog,he will not find out unless he tries for his self. If he does a get a digital amp and dont like the sound of digital, he might hunt you down and thwack you with a sledge hammer :wink:

I not calling amps a waste of money because I wouldnt have a sound card with a amp if I thought that, I just saying for the AD700 case Since it easly drive able off a sound card or usb sound device without a amp.

Jun 14, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #21 of 47
This is my very first post on this forum. I didn't want to make a new thread because I would be talking about the same stuff.

I just ordered the Sennheiser PC350s and was about to order the Asus Xonar DX along with it. I became hesitant because I didn't know how much of a difference the sound card would make. I have realtek onboard sound. Is onboard sound really that much different than a soundcard? I've looked at reviews for the Asus Xonar DX and it seems to be received pretty well. Feedback would be much appreciated.

Jun 14, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #22 of 47
Yes it does, onboard audio uses cheap and low quailty components,Also sound cards output better sound quailty because of the same reasons besides the components the sound card has which the onboard audio doesnt. You might wanna get like a cheap forte since it has a headphone amp. or a Xonar ST for its headphone amp for your PC350's. Since I pretty sure there high Ohm headphones.Since the DX doesnt have one on there. a Bravura has a headphone amp on it as well.  You might find a used forte some where if your lucky for cheap.

Jun 14, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #23 of 47

Quote:
This is my very first post on this forum. I didn't want to make a new thread because I would be talking about the same stuff.

I just ordered the Sennheiser PC350s and was about to order the Asus Xonar DX along with it. I became hesitant because I didn't know how much of a difference the sound card would make. I have realtek onboard sound. Is onboard sound really that much different than a soundcard? I've looked at reviews for the Asus Xonar DX and it seems to be received pretty well. Feedback would be much appreciated.

The PC350s have been known to need an amp.  I'd suggest looking into a cheap external unit, rather than the Xonar DX.  Such as the uDAC, Audinst HUD-MX1, Musiland 02 USD, among many many others.

Jun 14, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #24 of 47
This is my problem. I'm trying to save up my money because I'm about to build a new pc. I'm also going to be using my speakers for the majority of the time, so would I benefit more from a soundcard or from the uDAC. I'm not willing to spend more than $100 for one either. I have very little desktop remaining as it is, so I would like to get a soundcard also. D:

What would be the BEST soundcard avaible for $100 or less? I can get the Asus Xonar DX for $50. Are there any other soundcards out there that outperform this card in the music/movie/game category that make it significantly different?

Jun 14, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #25 of 47
Quote:
This is my problem. I'm trying to save up my money because I'm about to build a new pc. I'm also going to be using my speakers for the majority of the time, so would I benefit more from a soundcard or from the uDAC. I'm not willing to spend more than $100 for one either. I have very little desktop remaining as it is, so I would like to get a soundcard also. D:

What would be the BEST soundcard avaible for $100 or less? I can get the Asus Xonar DX for $50. Are there any other soundcards out there that outperform this card in the music/movie/game category that make it significantly different?

Have you seen how small the uDAC is?  You could even strap it inside the case, or tape it to the top of the case, if size is THAT important.  Honestly, when you buy a sound card, you pay for all the extras you'll probably never use.  Like surround sound, EMI shielding, DD/DTS codec licensing, and etc.

Also, if you're building a desktop, and are in the states or Canada, shoot me a PM with a budget and function (business, gaming, 3d gfx, etc.), and I bet you I can find you something for cheaper than you're expecting.

Jun 14, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #26 of 47
Yes, but you can use both.  Have a soundcard feeding an external DAC/amp.  This way you can get all the features you might be looking for from the soundcard while still having the sound quality and amplification from the DAC/Amp.

Jun 14, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #27 of 47

Quote:
You don't need to buy a soundcard. Get an external DAC and feed that digitally from your Mac. An amp with a DAC built in will give you the best SQ.

you will need a soundcard if your a gamer. as Rob says, best of both worlds .... soundcard/ and  DAC  ....

if hes only wanting it for music, yes.

Jun 14, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #28 of 47
Quote:
you will need a soundcard if your a gamer. as Rob says, best of both worlds .... soundcard/ and  DAC  ....

if hes only wanting it for music, yes.

Uhhh...  You don't NEED a sound card to game.  And there aren't any good gaming sound cards for laptops.  Both Creative 'solutions' are terribad.

I'd recommend just going with an external device, and feeding it with the MB's onboard optical out.

Jun 14, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #29 of 47
The thing is not every one like the sound of digital, if he has a sound card he can switch back and fore and use what sounds good to him. Then he might want the gaming features of that sound card. That the onboard audio doesnt have or do wrong.

He can still use digital on a cheap sound card like the DS. Tho he can still plug a ext Amp into the sound card as well. 
Then The same thing can be said about not needing a Ext DAC for gaming. But we people use our sound cards and DAC's for gaming besides our music.

Like Rob mentions, he can do it that way. Just a xonar DS and then a ext headphone amp, Tho I personlly would rather use a sound card with a amp bullt on it like I doing now but thats me.

Jun 14, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #30 of 47
Quote:
The thing is not every one like the sound of digital, if he has a sound card he can switch back and fore and use what sounds good to him. Then he might want the gaming features of that sound card. That the onboard audio doesnt have or do wrong.

He can still use digital on a cheap sound card like the DS. Tho he can still plug a ext Amp into the sound card as well. 
Then The same thing can be said about not needing a Ext DAC for gaming. But we people use our sound cards and DAC's for gaming besides our music.

Like Rob mentions, he can do it that way. Just a xonar DS and then a ext headphone amp, Tho I personlly would rather use a sound card with a amp bullt on it like I doing now but thats me.

The bolded makes no sense.  All audio from a computer is digital in some form.

Stop talking.

If you read the FIRST SENTENCE on the FIRST PAGE you'd notice that it's a laptop.  You can't put a card in it.

Also, have you even tried anything you're recommending?  Have you tried the Xonar DS with an external amp, or any other sound cards with onboard amps, and been able to compare?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back