Why do I like Sony's MDR-710
Aug 28, 2009 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

alan2here

New Head-Fier
I own a pair of Sony's MDR-710 and I love them although I found mainly negative reviews, the complements stop at the looks.

Clearly having supposedly poor (or at least moderate) leaky audio is a bad thing.

The fold up mechanic are a per person thing, nobody likes getting poked in the eye the first time and then having them ping over your head, but once you are used to how they operate some people may like the spring like arctecture while others will not, the sound issues however are different. We all have a verry similar design of ears and we all want a true representation of the waveform on the recording media.

To me they sound great, all the scale of freqency seems to be represented well from the smallest Ska sybols or highest SID metal blips through seemingly without gaps to the bass of brandon lee's eyes 69. The bass particularly sounds natural compaired to other small headphones I have tried which seem to drop the lower parts of the bass sound altogether.

Also sounds are not blunted to much as I have experanced with larger headphones, smooth is nice where smooth exists but often the music has inner note surface texture (sometimes called microstructure) and it seems to be well preservered on all parts of the freqancy scale. I don't know if this conflicts with the concept of warm being required for ear friendly music or if warm is always good and not related to this.

It logically follows that where there is strong detail the overall picture will be lost to some extent, take a highly processed HDR image http://abduzeedo.com/2008-most-beautiful-hdr-images desquishing differnt types surface materals after some extent becomes easier than distinguishing the distances of objects, lighting etc... although this in thease phones is not the case. Even in the fastest tracks every note is clearly audible from it's neighbours and the depth between the instruments seems represented well.

Another thing I noticed was the low volumes that were required from devices such as my PC where I typically use 1% of full volume and the way that quiet is audible while loud is not to loud which again seemed a positive, a combination of this and the last point makes voices verry clear, bad for imperfect artists as slip ups are noticeable.

This could all be due to what iv'e used in the past and/or differences in preference. I'd quite like some help in finding out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back