Why do I keep killing earbuds?
Apr 9, 2010 at 6:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

hcar

New Head-Fier
In the past year I have killed 2 apple,2 skullcandys, 3 dollar store, and 1 pair of marshmellows earbuds. My family gets mad at me becuase I kill a pair every couple weeks and theirs last for like 2 years.

Why do they keep dying? At first they'll only sometimes work(but if I twist the jack it works again), and then they flat die in one ear. If I buy a new pair and put the old pair in a drawer if I use them again there completly dead.

When I jog I leave one ear down and tuck it into my jacket, I sleep while listening to them, and I also always have them in my purse when I'm out.
I also almost always have my music on 100% volume.

Should I get some more expensive earbuds, or do you recommend something else?
I'm poor-ish so I cant buy like some $300.:/

[sorry if this is in the wrong section, but i'm a n00b]

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #2 of 10
100% volume? You should never have it above 50. Period. Especially with IEMs.

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by hcar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the past year I have killed 2 apple,2 skullcandys, 3 dollar store, and 1 pair of marshmellows earbuds. My family gets mad at me becuase I kill a pair every couple weeks and theirs last for like 2 years.

Why do they keep dying? At first they'll only sometimes work(but if I twist the jack it works again), and then they flat die in one ear. If I buy a new pair and put the old pair in a drawer if I use them again there completly dead.

When I jog I leave one ear down and tuck it into my jacket, I sleep while listening to them, and I also always have them in my purse when I'm out.

theres your answer

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

In the past year I have killed 2 apple,2 skullcandys, 3 dollar store, and 1 pair of marshmellows earbuds.

In addition to the sleep things and high volume, therein lies your issue. Simply put, it's very hard to find iems under 30, especially offline, that are going to last you a good amount of time for someone that intends to use them as actively and frequently as it seems you do.. I'd say 90% of IEM deaths have to do with the cable, and nothing fails better at that than cheap IEMs. This certianly seems to be your case, given what you said about what happens when you move the cable. Skullcandy does have lifetime warranty though, so you could always just get those replaced. But you could do so much better for not too much more.

Check out joker's IEM thread, it's a great starting point: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/m...4-02-a-478568/

Since you have durability worries, I'd recommend the ViSang R03, which seems to be a great starter earphone for not too expensiv (like 65) with what seems to be a very high quality cable for its price. If you could stretch up to 109, the Panasonic HJE900s are great little IEMs that are ridculously durable, with detachable cable. I seriously accidentally dropped these onto concrete, and then someone RAN over them, and they didn't even get a scratch. Detachable cables are awesome too. Oh, and they sound great.

Personally, I don't think you should change your habits too much for your IEMs, though you should get a nice protective case(which many bring anyways). Get something that will last you more. I exercise, play baseball with, run around late to class, and sleep with my HJE900s with no signs of trouble whatsoever. Even better, I can just replace the cables if something goes wrong with them :p.

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #5 of 10
eh I'd think most of the problems lies in the jack not the cable but thats another story..

That link posted above me is a good start and a helpful guide since there are lots of choices. Also you really shouldn't be listening at such high volumes. You may regret it later on when your hearing is not as good.

Apr 9, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #6 of 10
Seriously, 100% volume? I usually sit at about 10-40%, and that can leave my ears ringing!!!!

Of course different headphones are different, but that is hearing damaging levels, no doubt. Take it from someone already having issues with their ears, you don't want that.

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #7 of 10
Wow I wouldn't be surprised if half your hearing was lost by now. It is very irresponsible to listen at 100% volume. Get some proper IEMs. Normal earphones leak a lot of sound, thus you are going to want to turn the volume up. IEMs stay in your ear canal and you won't have to use such a high volume. Of all the brands you listed, not one is even good, they all deserve to be killed
evil_smiley.gif
. Get some decent IEMs. RE0 are GREAT for the price.

Also: When I jog I leave one ear down and tuck it into my jacket. How can your ear stretch that far? OUCH!

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

THERE is your problem.

Also:
Quote:

That can't be very good for the earphones, or your ears.

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan961 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
100% volume? You should never have it above 50. Period. Especially with IEMs.

x2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by feiraron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
theres your answer

x2.

normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back