Why do I hear a high pitched wine?
Mar 31, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're welcome, glad to see it was a free fix
smily_headphones1.gif
I swear Line in should be set to off by default by windows. I'm sure sound cards could detect if a plug was in the socket and enable automatically, and diable when nothing is plugged in. That's solve it most of the time.

Ahh, you beat me to it. I didn't read your response completely. Cool.

Apparently this is mainly a problem with on-board sound? I don't really care since I never use my computer as a source, unless I'm playing music over my desktop speakers. Even so, I was getting a whine from my speakers when using my TV tuner card and muting some of the unused inputs eliminated it.

Mar 31, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're welcome, glad to see it was a free fix
smily_headphones1.gif
I swear Line in should be set to off by default by windows. I'm sure sound cards could detect if a plug was in the socket and enable automatically, and diable when nothing is plugged in. That's solve it most of the time.

That makes complete sense, but since when has sense ever driven the PC marketplace?
wink.gif

Tell ya what though. I got my first PC in 1987 (640K RAM, 20 MB HD, monochrome graphics.) I'm no PC guru, but I really thought I had the simple stuff under control. Can't thank you enough for teaching an old dog a new trick!

Mar 31, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #18 of 19
line in for me gives a bottom hiss to everything.

But I do agree if your on on-board get off it fast. A AV710 soundcard with the Entech 203.2 DAC is the cheapest and probably the best bang for the buck setup. It costs about $70 for the whole setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back