Why do armature iems have larger harmonic distortion than dynamic headphones?
Oct 18, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #16 of 20
From that 2nd set of pics it looks like the diaphragm doesn't move in and out but rather sort of bends as the drive rod swings back and forth (assuming it's attached to the rest of the driver by its perimeter). Would that be correct?

Oct 19, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #17 of 20
Thank you all for the valuable discussion. I did some search but still could not find any definite conclusion on this issue. Hope more people can join in this thread. And another question is, what are the audible consequences of this distortion?

Oct 19, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those pictures don't look anything like an actual balanced armature driver. Perhaps this will help:

balancedarmaturedriver.jpg

balanced-armature-detail-21.jpg

I'd have to say this is just plain incorrect. Armatures don't sound any worse than full-size headphones, they just don't have some of the same qualities, like impact and bass presence.

Great pictures I am a bit suprised that the Diaphragm is not placed in the "tube" but is being reflected against a wall, almost like a bassreflex speaker..

Oct 19, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With a conventional headphone driver, the voice coil & former goes around the entire outer perimeter of the diaphragm. An armature design has a little stick (much smaller than a toothpick) in the middle of the diaphragm, it does not provide an optimum mechanical interface.

Yeah thats what I was going to say. There is an illustration of this in Duggeh's H2 review thread.

Oct 19, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great pictures I am a bit suprised that the Diaphragm is not placed in the "tube" but is being reflected against a wall, almost like a bassreflex speaker..

Or a transmission-line system, nah, more like a horn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back