Why do all crossfeed processors suck?
Nov 14, 2004 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

NuTT98

Head-Fier
The problem is, every one I have tried simply delays to the opposite channel, when in reality, the delayed signal should be head-filtered to even come close to natural crosstalk.

So with that said, does anyone know of a GOOD software crossfeed? VST/DirectX, doesn't matter what format.

Nov 14, 2004 at 7:31 PM Post #2 of 27
Why not using the Corda Cross-1???

Nov 14, 2004 at 7:54 PM Post #4 of 27
It works just fine. If I were you I would adopt a less "belligerent" tone around here.

The crossfeed circuits (Headroom, Meier) work just fine. They are not meant to offer surround sound - they shift the image from unfocussed recordings and make them easier to listen to.

For software - search google for a software called DIESEL something...it produces binaural sound of your choice using wav files. You can position the stereo monitors anywhere in 3D space relative to the head (all GUI) and the effect is translated to the headphones...sounds pretty nice.

I toyed with it, liked it and then just forgot about it and went back to stereo which is more coherent for me.

Nov 14, 2004 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 27
Amazing how one can sense 'tone' through text
smily_headphones1.gif

I found DieselPower at www.am3d.com, but this appears to only be a raw engine without any method of introducing it to an existing VST/DirectX/Winamp host.

Nov 14, 2004 at 8:24 PM Post #6 of 27
just run unit dirac impulse through it and open the resulting wav in foobar's Convolver and you got it..

Nov 14, 2004 at 8:27 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by NuTT98
Because that's just another simple unprocessed crossfeed. In otherwords, it's a faker and it isn't even trying.

When you say head-filtered, i'm not quite sure what you mean.

The delay in the signal is physically the distance from the left speaker to your right ear minus the distance from left speaker to left ear, so it "goes around the head". Processing isn't required to so a simple but good crossfeed. if it isn't good enough you won't find a crossfeed you'll like - to much crossfeed collapses the soundstage and it will sound canny if there's to much. I think you're looking for what GSferrari suggested
smily_headphones1.gif

If you still want a software crossfeed, try the one that is built-in in foobar. It's good enough, but you can't configure it.

Nov 14, 2004 at 8:28 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Amazing how one can sense 'tone' through text
smily_headphones1.gif

I found DieselPower at www.am3d.com, but this appears to only be a raw engine without any method of introducing it to an existing VST/DirectX/Winamp host.

You're looking for a plugin. Let me tell you that none of the software plugins that I tried with Foobar seemed to work very well
frown.gif

As for tone through text - just check your choice of words. Meier and others are respected members of the forums and I dont think they would appreciate your posts very much. It is now obvious that you didnt intend to come off the way you did - but my response should tell you what others can potentially think when they see your post
wink.gif

All is good...if you do find a plugin that works nicely please post here
cool.gif

Nov 14, 2004 at 8:40 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

When you say head-filtered, i'm not quite sure what you mean.

The delay in the signal is physically the distance from the left speaker to your right ear minus the distance from left speaker to left ear, so it "goes around the head".

It's not that simple, the sound has very specific filtering when it rolls around your head to the other ear.

Try this, it's very simple. Listen to a speaker, or any sound whatsoever, and block the ear that is facing this sound. The other ear somehow can still recognize that's sound correct location. On the other hand if you try any known crossfeed filter, play a fully panned sound to one side, mute this channel and only listen to the delay. The delay is clearly coming from the direction of the sound source, when it should be immitated to give the illusion it's coming from the opposite side.

Nov 14, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #10 of 27
HRTF's are VERY specific to head shape and size. I am not aware of any program that allows you to customize the HRTF's to suit your head.

Binaural recordings will offer surround sound to you without any extra processing. Stereo recordings are quite hard to convert into binaural with any degree of success...

good luck
wink.gif

Nov 14, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #11 of 27
That's the problem right there, binaural already has quite natural crosstalk by default. It really shouldn't be hard at all to emulate a dummyhead realtime via a plugin, I find it almost unbelievable that noone has done this. Or at least to my knowledge.

It doesn't necessarily have to be ideally suited to your own head, averaged processing should still work very well.

Nov 14, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #12 of 27
I don't know what you are looking for exactly, buddy, but the crossfeed is just that, a delay in the signal to be introduced in the other channel, on minor, or major degree, bepending on the size of room, or physicla separation of instruments you are looking for or want to hear, and that is what physically happen in real life.

The crossfeed that you could find in any headphone amp, do exactly this, delay one signal and introduce it in the other channel, in some cases correcting some impedance issues between the source and amp, there is absolutelly no other way of creating this effect, after the recording is already done, even with the binaural recordings what happen is exactly the same, but just that the effect is "naturally" introduced before the recording is made, instead of creating the effect after the recording is made...

Good luck looking for this effect you are trying to find, but after getting it, don't forget to let us know what it is, and we will try it, and we will let you know how similar it is from the ones we are using (if not the same)

The crossfeed is based is physics laws, and as such it was developed and created by some of our members after a long research, and investigation....

Nov 14, 2004 at 9:47 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

It doesn't necessarily have to be ideally suited to your own head, averaged processing should still work very well.

Averaged processing does not work well at all.

Nov 14, 2004 at 9:50 PM Post #14 of 27
I know crossfeed is 'just that', but if you look at what I said before, I'm trying to find a binaural processor that does more than simply crossfeed/delay the signal. It should also HRTF filter the initial sound and crossfeed appropriately.

Nov 14, 2004 at 10:12 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

I know crossfeed is 'just that', but if you look at what I said before, I'm trying to find a binaural processor that does more than simply crossfeed/delay the signal. It should also HRTF filter the initial sound and crossfeed appropriately.

Well I have heard some binaural recordings, and I own "one of those" artificial crossfeed devices, and honestly IMO there is much difference between them...I agree with you that theoretically it must be some differences, but practically they work very similar, and the final result is very good, amazingly good...If you have not tried one, they are very simple to make in case you do not want to invest in such artificial devices, anyway any other software related to simulate the effect will be artificial as well, and the more you try to simulate and the more you introduce processors and filters, the more you will degrade or at least alter the signal at the end...even in the digital domain.
To get a binaural recording out of an stereo one, is very difficult, as I stated before in the binaural ones the delays are introduced before the recording is made and is a natural process, once it is recorded stereo you do not have this natural process, and all you can do is "simulate it", but it will never be as a binaural one, and to exactly simulate it there is no much you can do than delaying the signal a little bit...I don't know of any other method honestly....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back