Why didn't Superlux 668 sound that good?
Aug 12, 2013 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Felixote

New Head-Fier
I went over to a store to buy the Superlux 668, and i tried them and compared them to my Sony MDR-XD200 before buying them and trying 3 songs they didn't shock me as the great headphones everybody in head-fi is saying, I compared them with:

Intoxicados- Se fue al cielo (Superlux won, but not by much)
Deep Purple- Child in Time (I didn't here the hole song, just the beginning and the middle bit where it goes crazy, here they were even)
Genesis- Tonight Tonight Tonight (Here the Sony won)

After being a little disappointed, because i thought they were going to destroy my Sony, I gave them back and didn't buy them because the difference in sound quality was so little. 

I used a Ipod Classic to compare them.

I want to know why this happend, also i must add only the Genesis and Deep Purple song were in 320kbps, the other one was in 192kbps.

Thank You

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #2 of 4
Check out this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/477014/are-sony-mdr-xd200-for-me

According to your own tests the Superlux won.  It sounded better on the first track, same as the XD200 on the second, and you did not finish the testing to conclude anything on the third track.  So according to your own test they sounded better.

The price points are comparable so expecting giant improvement over your XD200 is a tad ambitious.  How long have you had your XD200?  Not allowing your brain to adjust to the new sound and listening to more tracks did not do the Superlux justice and most likely lead to a hasty conclusion.

Did you read somewhere that the Superlux would "destroy your Sony" headphones?  I am just trying to see where you developed this concept.

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #3 of 4
If you check out Superlux 668 reviews in head-fi, they all say that they are one of the best bugdet headphones, and that they are very balanced, but that they are uncomfortable, thing that i did notice. In the other hand if you read Sony XD200 reviews they seem like crappy headphones that aren't worth buying, I actualy got them for Christmas. What you are saying, is that because of the price the sound quality shoudln't be very difrent and that i should have stayed longer listeing more songs?. I coudn't do that because the place was filling up with people and i wanted the get out of there quick.

Thank you for your ansewer and hope you understand better what i meant.

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
If you check out Superlux 668 reviews in Head-fi, they all say that they are one of the best budget headphones, and that they are very balanced, but that they are uncomfortable, thing that i did notice. In the other hand if you read Sony XD200 reviews they seem like crappy headphones that aren't worth buying, I actually got them for Christmas. What you are saying, is that because of the price the sound quality shouldn't be very different and that i should have stayed longer listening more songs?. I couldn't do that because the place was filling up with people and i wanted the get out of there quick.

Thank you for your answer and hope you understand better what i meant.

The Superlux HD668b might have needed some break in time to sound their best.

Also the iPod might just be good at driving the MDR-XD200 and I can assume the MDR-XD200s are well broken in.

If the HD668B is not your thing, there are lots of other headphones out there.
The JVC HA-S500s are under $60, good choice if your looking for headphone for being on the move.
And I do like the sound quality of my JVC HA-S500-Z (Gunmetal Gray).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back