Why did you sell your HD 595?
Oct 2, 2004 at 8:44 AM Post #2 of 97
I sold mine because at the time, I really liked the Grado sound (and still do) and my HD 580's didn't impress me much. I thought the HD 595 would be a huge step in the Grado direction while still being a Senn phone, but it wasn't quite the hybrid that I expected. I sold them shortly afterwards. However, after selling the HD 595 I bought a Chaintech AV-710 which made me fall in love with the HD 580, so I kinda still wish I had a HD 595 around so that I could see if it improved in a similar manner.

The way I feel at this point in time is this: I'm seeing used HD 580's for as low as $110 and used HD 595's are $180-$220. On the equipment that I tried, I do not think the 595 is worth $70-$110 more than the HD 580. However, I never got to try the 595 with my AV-710 so that opinion might change if I can ever listen to the 595 on it. I don't know if I would even call the 595 an "upgrade" as it is really just a different sound signature which some will prefer and some will not. For now, I don't (but that could change). Since some people have described the 595 as having a similar sound signature as the much more expensive HD 650, I have to wonder if I would have liked the 650 with the source that I tried the 595 on...it is possible that I wouldn't have.

To me, $110 for HD-580 is a bargain. Anything less than that would be a steal. Now that I've heard HD-580 through a better source, they easily sound like $150-$200 headphones IMO (which they are if you pay retail, heh).

Oct 2, 2004 at 9:20 AM Post #3 of 97
I think everyone knows why I sold the HD-595...so no comment...otherwise i'll have pp312 on my case again
tongue.gif

Oct 2, 2004 at 9:30 AM Post #4 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
I think everyone knows why I sold the HD-595...so no comment...otherwise i'll have pp312 on my case again
tongue.gif

ROFL!

I remember that thread! Actually I think there were 2!

BTW, Jan Meier confessed to the opinion that HD 595 is overhyped and not such a great buy next to the $70-less HD 555, so you're not alone.
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2004 at 9:34 AM Post #5 of 97
I'm not sure about the 555s being a better buy than the 595s; on the equipment I listened to there was a huge difference between the 515s and 555s, a pretty big difference between the 555 and 595 (mostly in the upper mids and highs, and some bass authority), and a final touch of difference between the 595s and 600s (more refinement on 600s, better soundstage).

I was using one of those new max amps and the merdian 588 playing audiophile classical and jazz stuff - ave maria for violin and organ as well as mixed jazz vocals and percussion. The cymbals and soundstage of drum solos on the stereophile disc was the biggest teller of quality, with the HD600s being the most crisp sounding, the 650s having the best soundstage and greatest detail and accuracy (less "crisp" and far more tonality and definition), and the level of tinniness and lack of expansion in the highs becoming evident as you move from the 650s down to 600s down to 595 to 555 to 515.

Cheers,
Geek

Oct 2, 2004 at 9:49 AM Post #6 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geek
I'm not sure about the 555s being a better buy than the 595s; on the equipment I listened to there was a huge difference between the 515s and 555s, a pretty big difference between the 555 and 595 (mostly in the upper mids and highs, and some bass authority), and a final touch of difference between the 595s and 600s (more refinement on 600s, better soundstage).

Well, as I said, it's just an opinion. They are bound to vary. Of course, to some ears the 595 will be a very worthwhile upgrade from 555.

Quote:

I was using one of those new max amps and the merdian 588 playing audiophile classical and jazz stuff - ave maria for violin and organ as well as mixed jazz vocals and percussion. The cymbals and soundstage of drum solos on the stereophile disc was the biggest teller of quality, with the HD600s being the most crisp sounding, the 650s having the best soundstage and greatest detail and accuracy (less "crisp" and far more tonality and definition)

So, would you say the HD 650 was the more musical phone? I thought HD 580 was musical (compared to what I've owned/heard) but if 650 is more musical AND more accurate/detailed, it sounds like my dream headphone!

Quote:

the level of tinniness and lack of expansion in the highs becoming evident as you move from the 650s down to 600s down to 595 to 555 to 515.

Well, to be fair, you can't really go strictly by model numbers and that is the complaint/fault I have with the Sennheiser naming scheme. I think it's better to keep them in their "proven" groups of similar sound (580/600 & 515/555/595) rather than automatically saying that a higher model # will sound better or a lower model # will sound worse, because there are many people that would prefer a HD 580 to a HD 595. That's just my opinion, but I would think others will agree...

Also, in your opinion, how similar (if at all) were HD 595 and HD 650? I read in another thread that 595 had a bit of 650 sound in it. Did you find that to be the case or was it a completely different animal?

Oct 2, 2004 at 10:11 AM Post #7 of 97
Quote:

I think everyone knows why I sold the HD-595...so no comment.

Don't back-out now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Give me the short answer.

The 595's are the first headphones I have had that make me want to listen to the music and not care about anything else. I really can't say anything too bad about them. Maybe the highs are a little rolled off but I don't mind that. They are comfortable to wear, look great, don't stick up too high, don't make me look like an alien headphone geek, and sound great. The difference between the 555 and 595 is small for the average listener but bigger for the more experienced listener. They basically sound the same but the 595 do everything a little better, and the difference becomes more noticeable as the source and amp improves. I wouldn't say they are neutral.

Oct 2, 2004 at 12:32 PM Post #9 of 97
HI: I had my 595 for a good while and think they sounded great. After a while I just got tired of them. The only thing I can complain about is not as much bass as I would want and a little rolled off highs But could very easily have kept them for a much longer time. Now that I have the beyer 770-80 I don't know if any headphone will ever win me over because the 770-80 has this awesome bass and high end with a very good mid range but with lots of energy that I never heard before in a headphone. I think the 595 is a very good headphone. Now to me it would sound like a very polite can and very nice to listen to.

Oct 2, 2004 at 2:27 PM Post #10 of 97
Quote:

tongue.gif

Didn't you buy them again or is it my memory that fails?

Georg Langrath

Oct 2, 2004 at 7:01 PM Post #12 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Langrath
Didn't you buy them again or is it my memory that fails?

Georg Langrath

No sir - I staunchly believe that money can be spent in better ways
wink.gif

the 595 is a lifeless headphone. No character to make it worth keeping. Thin and delicate reproduction. Poor bass. distorts easily when pushed (Eq - hardware or software). Questionable build quality.

Basically an all round bad package.

Let the flame fest begin - im outta here
rolleyes.gif

Oct 2, 2004 at 7:58 PM Post #13 of 97
I don't have much experiece with my limited funds and all but you know no matter how far up the line you go there are trade offs.

Personally I'm thinking I'm done with senn sound, the highs are too rolled off for it to be an all around phone IMO. And the 555/595 are their brightest phones.

Call me crazy but it sounds like when GS is saying "thin" he's comparing them to the veiled 580/600s. If I understand correctly.

Oct 2, 2004 at 9:06 PM Post #14 of 97
I had the 595's for a short while, and although they sounded great, i just got a little bored with them after listening to them for a while. Detail and soundstage was there, but overall, i felt that the sound was too boring. Then i got the A900's, which fixed everything that the 595's didnt give me.

Oct 2, 2004 at 9:44 PM Post #15 of 97
Although I love my HD595s it's nice to hear some people talking about their flaws. For a while it seemed like everyone and their brother could find no fault in these phones so it's nice to hear that opinions of them are starting to come back down to earth. To be sure, though, I love mine and won't be selling them anytime soon.

By the way Mega I have your old pair!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back