Why did you join headfi?
Dec 4, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #106 of 144
Quote:
Soon all audiophile players will have super powerful tiny amps and will be balanced, all for a reasonable price!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Oh wait, were you serious? As soon as someone releases an affordable balanced DAP I'm totally building some awesome DIY portables. Balanced Mini³, anyone? I really want something balanced to try with my RE-ZERO.

Dec 4, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #107 of 144
I am serious. A few years ago people would have not fathomed a balanced portable, and now we have a couple. Mountain bikes are carbon fiber, too. I am kind of disappointed there are no real flying cars or good robots, though. I blame anti-capitalists. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #108 of 144

Quote:
I am serious. A few years ago people would have not fathomed a balanced portable, and now we have a couple. Mountain bikes are carbon fiber, too. I am kind of disappointed there are no real flying cars or good robots, though. I blame anti-capitalists
biggrin.gif

Yeah such a shame my magic carpet only goes 2 mph, very annoying when 'dodging' thru traffic. 
darthsmile.gif

Dec 5, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #109 of 144
All my robot soes is scuury around on the floor and vacuums it. All for $400. You know what kind of headphone I can get for that money?
eek.gif
Head-fi helps me immensely with the answer.

Dec 16, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #114 of 144
I googled for help on choosing some headphones and I saw there were reviews here. Up until that point I was listening to a sony 4g DAP with standard headphones.. 2 1/2 years later and just look at my signature to see what an influence this place has had on me!!

I must say joining this place has increased my listening pleasure hugely and I will always be grateful to the knowledgeable folks and owner and mods for helping realize the dream of having a high end sound with a portable set up!

Dec 16, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #115 of 144
Well, I just officially joined Head-Fi early this morning as the sun is rising after spending all night (again), reading through the forums, clicking on links that took me to all sorts of interesting and esoteric sites, and doing umpteen Google spin-off searches to find out what people were referring to.  I can't remember how I first stumbled on this site (Eric Schmidt, Larry and Sergey had something to do with it, I'm sure), but based on some preliminary reading here, I ordered my Audio Technica ATH-50Ms and a Nuforce uDac-2 HP on October 30th, and I've been hopelessly hooked ever since they arrived.  When I was young (I draw Social "Security" now and am on Medicare), I sold hi-end audio in a really big city that will go nameless.  Mark Levinson, Linn, Quad, Magnepan, Bryston, Martin-Logan, Krell, Threshold, Audio Research and other stuff I can't even remember.  I rebuilt Dahlquist DQ-10s from scratch, and was generally immersed in audio electronics and music all the time.  Then I had to ""downsize" my life, and all my audio equipment had to go away because I live in a cheap, poorly-constructed little apartment with scary neighbors who bang on walls, floors, and worst of all, my door, if I play anything over any kind of speaker at over 55 db SPL.  So I just gave up on my old love of high-fidelity music.  I had a pair of Stax SR-6 electrostatic headphones back in the 70s, but didn't know anything about modern phones and digital music formats.

Then down this rabbit hole I fell.  I can read and research all night because I can listen to gorgeous music in the kind of fidelity (actually better) that I had to forego decades ago.  But the "sorry about your wallet" thing is really  true when you're on a modest fixed income.  A couple of days ago, I decided I enjoyed this so much, that I ordered a pair of Sennheiser 650s and a Maverick D1 Tube Magic DAC/preamp, like the ATH-50s and Nuforce uDAC-2 suddenly weren't good enough for me.  And I already "Rockboxed" a Sansa Clip+ (never heard of either one until a week ago reading LFF's blog), and my modest introduction to IEMs to mate with the Clip+ - a pair of Etyomic MC-5s - should be in todays mail from Amazon.  I Gotta Stop!  Last night I'm up until 4 A.M. looking at prices for vintage Western Electric 396A tubes on eBay, until I read Spanky's post that the Maverick D1's tube isn't used by the DAC or built-in headphone amp, and you can remove it to save power and heat unless you have the D1 connected to a separate amp.  I'm wanting to spend even more major money on things that I don't even understand that well!  But it seems like a friendly place, I can't get in too much trouble given that I can't spend any more money for quite awhile (no, you can't shop for exotic HD-650 replacement cables!), but I thought I'd make at least one post, given how much time I'd spent (there's that dreaded word again) reading all of the posts that I have.  Well, the sun is up and I just finished another gorgeous Chick Corea album, so think I'll call it quits.  Did I answer your original question?

Dec 17, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #116 of 144
3db,

Happy to have another "sicko" on the farm. It was such an alluring boon to find this place while headphone shopping for the ipod.

You have some neighbors with very good gear. Look in the meet forums to see if one is near you.

Word of advice, stay out of the cable threads until your skin gets tough and learn to describe audio in automotive, food, etc. analogies.

Welcome and enjoy!

Dec 17, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #117 of 144

Quote:
Well, I just officially joined Head-Fi early this morning as the sun is rising after spending all night (again), reading through the forums, clicking on links that took me to all sorts of interesting and esoteric sites, and doing umpteen Google spin-off searches to find out what people were referring to.  I can't remember how I first stumbled on this site (Eric Schmidt, Larry and Sergei had something to do with it, I'm sure), but based on some preliminary reading here, I ordered my Audio Technica AT-50Ms and a Nuforce uDac-2 HP on October 30th, and I've been hopelessly hooked ever since they arrived.  When I was young (I draw Social "Security" now and am on Medicare), I sold hi-end audio in a really big city that will go nameless.  Mark Levinson, Linn, Quad, Magnepan, Bryston, Martin-Logan, Krell, Threshold and other stuff I can't even remember.  I rebuilt Dahlquist DQ-10s from scratch, and was generally immersed in audio electronics and music all the time.  Then I had to ""downsize" my life, and all my audio equipment had to go away because I live in a cheap little apartment with scary neighbors who bang on walls, floors, and worst of all, my door, if I play anything over any kind of speaker at over 55 db SPL.  So I just gave up on my old love of high-fidelity music.  I had a pair of Stax SR-6 electrostatic headphones back in the 70s, but didn't know anything about modern phones and digital music formats.

Then down this rabbit hole I fell.  I can read and research all night because I can listen to gorgeous music in the kind of fidelity (actually better) that I had to forego decades ago.  But the "sorry about your wallet" thing is really  true when you're on a modest fixed income.  A couple of days ago, I decided I enjoyed this so much, that I ordered a pair of Sennheiser 650s and a Maverick D1 Tube Magic DAC/preamp, like the AT-50s and Nuforce uDAC-2 suddenly weren't good enough for me.  And I already "Rockboxed" a Sansa Clip+ (never heard of either one until a week ago reading LFF's blog), and my modest introduction to IEMs to mate with the Clip+ - a pair of Etyomic MC-5s - should be in todays mail from Amazonl.  I Gotta Stop!  Last night I'm up until 4 A.M. looking at prices for vintage Western Electric 396 tubes on eBay, until I read Spanky's post that the Maverick D1's tube isn't used by the DAC or built-in headphone amp, and you can remove it to save power and heat unless you have the D1 connected to a separate amp.  I'm wanting to spend even more major money on things that I don't even understand that well!  But it seems like a friendly place, I can't get in too much trouble given that I can't spend any more money for quite awhile (no, you can't shop for exotic HD-650 replacement cables!), but I thought I'd make at least one post, given how much time I'd spent (there's that dreaded word again) reading all of the posts that I have.  Well, the sun is up and I just finished another gorgeous Chick Corea album, so think I'll call it quits.  Did I answer your original question?

This is so well written and enjoyable to read!
Thanks!

Dec 17, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #119 of 144
Thanks for the welcome from you and Happy Camper, pcf.  To follow up on my first post, my Etymoic MC-5s did arrive yesterday, and are amazing to someone who has never experienced a true IEM (just cheap earbuds) before.  When I plug them into the Rockboxed Sansa Clip+ (which looks like one of the "toys" that used to come packaged in Cracker Jack boxes when I was a kid), I just can't get over how good something so incredibly tiny sounds.  But I can't wear them this afternoon, so I can hear the doorbell ring any minute with my new Sennheiser 650s which are on the local UPS truck right now.  It's an early Christmas for this reborn-to-the-digital-age audiophile!  Thanks again for the nice comments.

Dec 17, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #120 of 144
I joined because I wanted a pair of headphones that were better than the ibuds, and its spiralled from JVC Marshmallows (Kramer-mod) to Soundmagic PL-50 to my small foray into vintage with Beyer DT-302 and AKG K140, then Grado SR-60, and the saga continues today...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back