Why can't FedEx be easier?
Dec 4, 2003 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Hajime

1000+ Head-Fier
I want to share a little story with all of you. I went to FedEx to mail off a package today and it took me over an hour. This is what happened:

I went to FedEx right after getting out of school and got there around 4:30. Earlier in the day I had packed two boxes I wanted to ship and I figured I'd ask FedEx to pack both of them in a large FedEx box together and ship them that way. Well, that's not exactly how it works. All of the FedEx boxes you're allowed to ship in were stacked in a rack. You choose which box you want and then place your items in it. That seemed simple enough, except they were out of large boxes. I went through the line and asked the lady at the counter if she would please get me a large FedEx box as there were none left. She was very rude and condescending and it took me a few minutes to convince her that yes, I would be paying for the box and no, I wouldn't steal it (I don't understand how this thought came into her mind in the first place). She then asked me if I wanted a 20 by 20 by 17 box or 20 by 20 by 12 box and I told her the larger would be better. She went into the back room and came back saying they were out, so I asked her to get me the 20 by 20 by 12. She looked at me as if I was an idiot and say, "I thought you wanted the twenty by twenty by seventeen."

Well, she gave me the box and next I had to pack it. FedEx does not pack boxes for you as UPS does. I am incredibly glad that I packed the packages very well in my own boxes before going to FedEx or I would have been in trouble. Well, it turns out they had no packing supplies. They were completely out of packing supplies. I had to go through the line again and speak with the same rude woman and ask for some foam squigglies/penuts/packing material. She told me that they were out of it, and it was only after I told her I would go elsewhere that she offered to sell me some large bags I could use for padding.

Did you know FedEx makes you buy a roll of tape if you want to mail a package? I sure didn't.

Luckily, the fourth or fifth time I went through the line (I don't remember which it was - I had to go through to get something signed, to convince them I had already paid for the box, etc etc) I got a different woman who was very helpful and the last time I got a man who, wonders of wonders, helped me to the point where the package actually got mailed.

All in all, I had to go through the line at least six times (luckily, at it's longest the line consisted of only five people). I was treated as if I was some sort of idiot for expecting service (and I was very polite to them, too; I may be a teenager but I believe in social etiquette). I don't think I will ever ship a large box using FedEx again unless the situation demands it as this did. It's very convenient to be able to drop off a small box at their mail slots, but as soon as you expect service it's very unpleasant. I'll either ship by the US postal service or UPS from now on.

Dec 4, 2003 at 1:54 AM Post #2 of 15
Ah. Perhaps you can complain to her manager? Let them know that the rudeness of this woman has driven you from their service. Personally, I've only used the USPS, and they're generally pleasant and reliable in my experience.

Dec 4, 2003 at 2:44 AM Post #4 of 15
Oh how I hated FedEx....

USPS is a great postal service and I think it is a notch better than UPS too. But with UPS you can open an account, print packing labels, pay online and have someone come pick up your package. If you work or live in a place (like an apartment building) where the UPS truck comes every day it doesn't get much easier.

Maybe FedEx do that too but my experiences at the San Francisco FedEx main office were a lot like Hajime's, so I never bothered finding out.

Dec 4, 2003 at 3:09 AM Post #5 of 15
To add insult to injury, FedEx and UPS both like to smash the hell out of packages. You nearly have to clad them in bulletproof titanium if you expect larger items to arrive in one piece.

I use USPS exclusively now. You can't beat the customer service, reliability, and price. USPS Priority takes no more than 3 days cross-continent, all for the same rates as sending something next door. Everything I ship arrives in great condition.

--Chris

Dec 4, 2003 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 15
I have had very bad experiences with all three of the carriers: USPS - at least the office in my town - took extremely long: Every one of the packages that I had sent using Priority Mail took nearly a month to get to their destinations (if they ever got there), and they've lost more than half of the packages that I had sent. The other two carriers all too often abused the packages that I had sent.

Maybe the problem with snail-slow delivery and lost packages is the problem at the particular USPS offices that I had sent them through - very close to where I live. It seems as though I would have to commute very far just to find an office that wouldn't do all this bull**** with my packages.

Dec 4, 2003 at 3:42 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
Priority is like...Guaranteed 3 day delivery!!, a MONTH!!...that's major BS, regular mail takes less time than that.

I will have a talk with the supervisors of those offices. How could they allow their own employees to hold mail indefinitely?

And Priority mail doesn't guarantee delivery in even three days. The USPS merely promises such delivery. But a month, that's ridiculous!!

Dec 4, 2003 at 3:44 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
Priority is like...Guaranteed 3 day delivery!!, a MONTH!!...that's major BS, regular mail takes less time than that.

You're telling me! I always use USPS Priority and it never takes longer than 3 days, and I have never lost a package or had a problem with it. It's been as fast as 1 day as wel...a month is like...unfathomably ridiculous.

Dec 4, 2003 at 3:50 AM Post #10 of 15
Yeah, the Post Offices closest to where I live employ some of the laziest of package-handling people - they would only want to send letters, and wouldn't (or couldn't) even lift a single moderately heavy package. C'mon, ppl, it doesn't hurt to send the packages off when they were supposed to have left!

Dec 4, 2003 at 3:56 AM Post #11 of 15
Well... the time the USPS decided our address was vacant because the next door neighbor moved out was a blast.
rolleyes.gif
They bounced a letter from the state drivers licence bureau requesting an SR-22 for proof of insurance or else my license would be suspended, but of course I never found out about that until weeks later when after wondering why we wern't even getting junk mail we called and discovered the "SNAFU." Then I get a letter in the mail saying "Your license is suspended" AFTER spending all day buying groceries and stuff...
eek.gif
You can imagine I wasn't very happy, if I would have been pulled over for any reason I would have been up a certain creek without a paddle.

Dec 4, 2003 at 6:21 AM Post #13 of 15
Your are missing just one detail, UPS is a lot cheaper than USPS and FedEx, for large packages, that is why people use them, OTOH USPS do not accept packages from certain weight up, in UPS you can ship a car if you want, and wrap it properly....all services are needed, and thanks God we have all of them....
But I agree with you USPS is extremelly reliable, and nice emplyees, except one Puerto Rican guy, I have here in the corner of my house in the postal office near me, he is evne a supervisor, Jesus, that he is the laziest person I have ever met, so I prefer to take bus and go to another office than to deal with him, the rest of the mailmen are very polite, helpful, and very nice persons, shame on him....
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Dec 4, 2003 at 6:45 AM Post #14 of 15
Try living in a small town far from civilization. The UPS place is only open for a couple hours a day. There is a shipping/copy store here where I can send UPS or FedEx. It seems to cost a fortune to ship FedEx. I try to use USPS.
On another note, I got a package the other day that was sent via Airborne to the local post office and then USPS from there to my house.
confused.gif

And yes, UPS seems to have perfected the art of package mangling.
biggrin.gif

I got a FedEx package on Tuesday morning from Headroom that was shipped out of Bozeman on Monday. I made the order on Sunday. I am very impressed.

Dec 4, 2003 at 7:28 AM Post #15 of 15
FedEX delivers packages to neighbors in my building now it seems. I never had that happen before. It's a bit strange getting neighbor's items and my items from neighbors. But it can beat waiting another day for stuff I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back