why buy cables if your already paying 300$ for the headphones?
May 15, 2003 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 13
depends on the amp and source i guess. i haven't really listened much to the stock cables to tell you the truth though. i bought my 600s used with some clou reds and when i got them i only used the stock ones for a song or 2. there was a definate improvement with the clou reds but i wasn't listening closely enough to describe it any more than it opened up the sound a little further. the stock cable also seems a bit flimsy. i like the clous too because they feel like they could stop a bullet.

what amp and source do you have and what kind of music do you like?

May 15, 2003 at 2:14 AM Post #4 of 13
I was never a huge fan of the HD600, and when I bought one just over a year ago to replace the Alessandro MS Pros I had just sold, it was because the Sennheisers were much cheaper. I held on to it as stock for a short while but it was too uninvolving -- flabby bass, veiled treble, not very dynamic.

When I got the Cardas cable I was really astonished. I didn't think that it would change the sound so much. I guess I should have, considering I paid slightly more for the Cardas than for the HD600s (used). The treble and bass both became clearer and the bass became tighter.

Still, the headphones had too distant a presentation and not enough dynamics. Since solling them after buying the Grado HP-2, I haven't looked back. But if the HD580/600 has a sound you enjoy but would like to improve, you should really look into either the Cardas or Equinox.

May 15, 2003 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 13
Hmm...maybe I've got a tin ear, because the Equinox I just got for my HD600s seems to provide a little improvement in the lower midrange, and that's about it.

I'm not a disbeliever in cables, because I've heard the effects of a cable change through my speaker system. Also I cleaned all the wax out of my ears last weekend (no joke! my hearing is super-acute right now
cool.gif
) so it's not a hearing problem.

Maybe the Cardas is better....

May 15, 2003 at 3:49 AM Post #6 of 13
I am currently very much enjoying the Equinox. It seemed to retain the overall character of the HD600 sound, but gave it more lower midrange warmth and a sweeter treble, and tightned up the bass. I'm especially hearing a lot more detail in the lower midrange/upper bass. Where the stock cable might have just portrayed a washed out, WHOOMP kinda bass, now I can clearly hear the attack of the string of the bass, or hammer on the piano or whatever..

As I've posted before, I did NOT like the Clou cables at all. The treble was overly bright, while it did little to help the midrange creating a gap somewhere in the mids... I dunno, it just sounded funky to my ears.

Ultimately it's up to your ears to decide if it's worth the money or not. I also highly suggest you buy cables used to get the most for your money.

May 15, 2003 at 4:51 AM Post #7 of 13
If one is listening to mp3s off a computer soundcard, big expensive cables are probably not the first place one should put one's cash. Once one has a dedicated system of reasonable quality that will allow a cable swap to make a significant difference, then it's time to cable-roll.

Mark

May 15, 2003 at 5:09 AM Post #8 of 13
Well a $10K CDP will include a crap powercord and crap ICs if they even do. Although they don't expect you to change out the headphone cable I guess but since it's so easy to pull out the headphone cable of the HD600 I guess they must have had aftermarket cables in mind all along.

May 15, 2003 at 5:24 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

but since it's so easy to pull out the headphone cable of the HD600 I guess they must have had aftermarket cables in mind all along.

Considering Sennheiser hasn't come out with its own upgrade cable and considering that most of its headphones have detachable cables, I would have to disagree with you.

May 15, 2003 at 8:15 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by bdjuf
my question is, arent good enough cables included with the HD600 headphones?

Unfortunately, not. I have only ever read one person say they prefer the stock cables. They're that bad. Quote:

how much better will my sound be if I DO buy good cables?

They should be your first upgrade. It doesn't have to be right away -- I basically agree with markle.

May 15, 2003 at 9:10 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
If one is listening to mp3s off a computer soundcard, big expensive cables are probably not the first place one should put one's cash. Once one has a dedicated system of reasonable quality that will allow a cable swap to make a significant difference, then it's time to cable-roll.

You might be surprised. A decent soundcard can be a decent low-range source and cable upgrades will make a noticeable difference -- they have for me. Sure, I prefer using my Meridian CDP which goes for $1000+ used to my $150 Hercules GTXP soundcard but that doesn't mean that better headphones, amp, and cables don't make the sound from the Hercules significantly better.

I do agree, though, that it certainly is worth investing in a good standalone CD source when funds and space allow.

May 15, 2003 at 10:35 AM Post #12 of 13
What DanG said. I listen to music off my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, and when I swapped the stock cables with the Clou Blue, there was a big difference in the sound. The treble was much more "there", although it sounded a little too present at times.
I'll upgrade to either the Cardas or Equinox when I have the money.

May 15, 2003 at 2:10 PM Post #13 of 13
I'll agree with radrd on this one. A more logical reason for the detachable cable is so Sennheiser can include a cheap cable with the headphones and when that cable breaks, they do not have to do any labor in replacing the cable, simply send the owner a new cable, or more likely purchase the same Sennheiser replacement cable instead of dealing with the warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back