Why aren't there (or are there?) decent earbuds or canalphones for under $50?
Jan 4, 2004 at 2:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

MD1032

Headphoneus Supremus
I want some decent portable phones for my MZ-S1 and I really can't find any good phones that are still a manageable size, such as earbuds or canalphones. MX500's are cheap, but mediocre as far as I've heard. E888's are on the expensive side and have to be imported. Other than that, there's nothing I can find. Am I not searching hard enough?

Jan 4, 2004 at 3:38 AM Post #2 of 39
Have you even heard the MX500s??...people on Head-Fi generally dismiss everything unless it has perfect sound quality. I'd suggest you take another look at them or the EX71, which people on the MD t-board seem to like. I can't vouch for either one, but for just enjoying music, I'd say that either one would be good enough.

Jan 4, 2004 at 3:49 AM Post #3 of 39
MX500 sounds pretty dang good for a bud. Best buds I've heard, and they're CHEAP. Bass is light, but with a diaphragm that small, that's about it unless you get into canalphones.

Jan 4, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #4 of 39
I have the mx500, compared to my newly acquired sr-80's they sound very small and inferior in comparison, but for 16$ shipped they are awesome. Before I got the grado's they used to be my primary portable phone because they sounded great. I'm pretty sure you'll be satisfied.

Jan 4, 2004 at 4:19 AM Post #5 of 39
The MX500 are really very good. They even do some things better than the KSC-35, which are their only real competitor in this general price range (though on balance I think more people would prefer the KSC-35). If you get them and want more bass, switching the stock foamies with the Radio Shack foamies makes a big difference (the RS foamies are thicker and give you a better seal). They also respond surprisingly well to good amplification.

Jan 4, 2004 at 11:18 AM Post #8 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by MD1032
Other than that, there's nothing I can find. Am I not searching hard enough?

I don't think it's because you're not searching hard enough -- it's because your standards are too high. It goes without saying that you can't get ER-4P/ER-4S quality for an MX 500 price.

Having said that, the MX 500 is quite a nice earphone, IMO. Give them a try.

($15 at Amazon. How can you go wrong?
etysmile.gif
)

D.

Jan 4, 2004 at 2:06 PM Post #9 of 39
Do a search for MX500 vs E888. You'll find that there's a reason so many people compared them. There is no conclusive answer on wich one is the best.
I never heard the E888s but after reading comparisons here I felt there was no need to upgrade from my MX500 to E888.

Jan 4, 2004 at 2:46 PM Post #10 of 39
The problem is I'm worried the MX500's won't fit me. I've tried a couple different types of earbuds, and neither have fit. I've guessing each had a diameter (the rim of the plastic) of greater than 3/8 of an inch, and they physically would not fit in my left ear, although the right fit fine. It just kept popping out because my ear canal openings are small. Maybe the MX500's are larger, maybe not. The E888's look huge. The EX71SL's look like a nice fit, but I've heard they're muddy. Is there a way to "canalphonize" them (the MX500's)? I've heard of these little plastic covers you can put over them that improve the sound.

Jan 4, 2004 at 6:07 PM Post #12 of 39
I own EX70, MX500 and E888(gold). In my mind there's no competition between these phones. The E888 win hands down! (Although bassheads might like the EX70).

There's a bit of hassle to buy the E888's, but it's worth the extra effort. Bluetin has 'em for $41.6 + p&p. So you should be below the 50 dollar limit.

mad.gif
+ E888 =
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2004 at 7:48 PM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by MD1032
Is there a way to "canalphonize" them (the MX500's)? I've heard of these little plastic covers you can put over them that improve the sound.

Seach the board on "Slicsound". They apparently improve the fit, but whether they improve or worsen the sound is debateable. I'm thinking of ordering a pair for lawnmower duty.

The MX-500 are typical earbud size, if other buds don't fit you these won't either. In that case, I suggest looking at the KSC-35, 50 or 55.

Jan 4, 2004 at 8:04 PM Post #14 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by mr_slacker

There's a bit of hassle to buy the E888's, but it's worth the extra effort. Bluetin has 'em for $41.6 + p&p. So you should be below the 50 dollar limit.

mad.gif
+ E888 =
biggrin.gif

what/who is bluetin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back