Why aren't there any threads like these in full-size?
Feb 6, 2010 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Silenced

100+ Head-Fier
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/m...7-10-a-453836/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...9-09-a-433318/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/m...-v-3-a-450407/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/e...und-up-441400/

I enjoy seeing people's thoughts summed up as opposed to people giving their opinions in isolation from everything else they've tried. What I like about those threads is I can check to see what the reviewer has reviewed and find his/her general taste and then when they review something new I will keep them in mind.

Why aren't there any of those in here?

Feb 6, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #2 of 26
1.) Unlike small ones, full-sizes are.... well, take a lot of spaces and hard to maintain, much less people have various full-sizes.

2.) Those who usually have a good amount of full-size seem...... too lazy
tongue.gif
to post comparisons (i.e many old memebers here including me
tongue.gif
)

And I am absolutely one of them to be blamed for lack of such threads....

Feb 6, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #3 of 26
Perhaps because nobody have taken the time to write any?
Feel free to post one of more such threads though.
wink.gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #4 of 26
Has anyone actually read that entire IEM Mega-review? Is there a reason to agonize that much over all of the different sub- $50 earbuds?

that chart at the end reminds me of this guy: http://www.ulillillia.us/

dear god, that was before I got to the 3rd link !!!

Feb 6, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #5 of 26
Well partially because nobody can afford 25+ DECENT QUALITY full size headphones, and I know I for one don't want to hear 25+ $50 headphones compared...

Feb 6, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #6 of 26
If you read through all the appreciation threads and head over to the meet impressions forum, you'll get what you seek.

The major problem is that I like the k701 more than the hd650 and most people disagree. Obviously there would be similar problems if someone were to do a cross review.

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well partially because nobody can afford 25+ DECENT QUALITY full size headphones, and I know I for one don't want to hear 25+ $50 headphones compared...

Koss UR series are very good phones for the price (yes I have UR29, which seems are discontinued unfortunately)

In such price range, suck hard regardless whether they are full-size or not. Other than Koss headphones (KSC series and UR series), and JVC ones, most of them sound downright terrible even compared to mid-range priced ones (no I am not comparing to uber expensive ones)

Another thing is, from my observation most people who have interested in full-size stick to single (or two) headphones he/she most prefer. From my case, I almost listen to HD800 and K701 90% of the time.

I believe there is a good cheap full-size headphone comparison made by one of revered members, Skylab.

Edit : I found it. A bit outdated and cover only 5 phones, but it is a good review.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/rev...mpared-250041/

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #8 of 26
Nearly every model XXXX headphone has been directly compared against model YYYY. It's easy enough to find all the info you'll need on full sized headphones without those gargantuan comparison threads.

I do like amp and source comparisons though, as it's rarer to be able to compare equipment against each other (props to Skylab for his work on reviewing amps)

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #9 of 26
How many decent ~$50 headphones are there?

SR60i
KSC35/75
PortaPro
RX700
PX100
…?

Nothing near the number of IEMs at least.
And as Redo and Momiji pointed out, just a tiny bit of research will tell you all there is to be said anyways.

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How many decent ~$50 headphones are there?

SR60i
KSC35/75
PortaPro
RX700
PX100
…?

Nothing near the number of IEMs at least.
And as Redo and Momiji pointed out, just a tiny bit of research will tell you all there is to be said anyways.

You missed tons of headphones already, and they are not even full-size at all btw.

There are tons of AKG studio ones (usually Kxx) and Sony's (and surprisingly, much more). And other than a specific ones (i.e Sony V6) many are not even known or talked at all.

For example, AKG K66, despite its look, are quite comfortable and sound surprisingly good, even though they are now discontinued there are many stores which still have them.

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You missed tons of headphones already, and they are not even full-size at all btw.

There are tons of AKG studio ones (usually Kxx) and Sony's (and surprisingly, much more). And other than a specific ones (i.e Sony V6) many are not even known or talked at all.

For example, AKG K66, despite its look, are quite comfortable and sound surprisingly good, even though they are now discontinued there are many stores which still have them.

By pure coincidence I've had extensive experience with the K66, and to these ears they do not sound good at all. Boxed in and thin are how I remember them. But you might be right about there being other offerings out there worth looking into for a budding Headfier.

Maybe it is a bit odd there are so few multiple comparisons, although to me it feels completely natural, but I don't know why.
Maybe I'm just completely disinterested in it. "buy a PortaPro and get on with your life, geesh, can it be so hard?"
redface.gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By pure coincidence I've had extensive experience with the K66, and to these ears they do not sound good at all. Boxed in and thin are how I remember them. But you might be right about there being other offerings out there worth looking into for a budding Headfier.

Maybe it is a bit odd there are so few multiple comparisons, although to me it feels completely natural, but I don't know why.
Maybe I'm just completely disinterested in it. "buy a PortaPro and get on with your life, geesh, can it be so hard?"
redface.gif

Probably you prefer sound with some flavour, ircc K66, as studio monitor headphones, were quite neutral.

To be honest they were a bit better than Audio Technica A700, at least to my ears.

And yes, it seems so many of us here are now do not shock at the price of headphones unless it is going up to three digits to four digits, while most of J6P will shock that headphones can cost more than 30 bucks.

Feb 6, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #14 of 26
I dont think the 4 linked threads are particularly valuable. Sorry. I appreciate that the effort was made to put them together, but they dont really tell you much beyond some very basic things about the headphone. There is no common frame of reference, which is more valuable than a 5 star rating on 40 headphones you are not interested in.

There are plenty of older reviews of full sized headphones that compare a few giants in a more meaningful way with regards to sound quality, frequency response, etc In addition to what was posted above. If you read a good review and you buy 1 of the 3 headphones in it you should be able to get a solid guess of what the other 2 will sound like based on that. You go out and listen to the other 2, and (assuming it was actually a good review) they generally sound very close to how they were described relative to what you have.

Trend of head-fi reviews.
HD800 gets 5 stars across the board.
Q(from interested head-fier): "what does it sound like compared to the darthbeyer"
A: "barfbeyers are 3 star headphones after I've had 4 drinks."
Q: "could you explain that assesment of their SQ"
A: "Id need 4 tall drinks before I can be convinced to try them again. 3 stars is 2 less than 5, but there is a de-rating factor for my being drunk. If you threatened to control my head I would try them sober and give them 1/2 star. I gave the HD800 5 stars, you should like them a lot!"
Q: "Yea, that really didnt help much, is there a comparason you could draw"
A: "aah, I gotcha, frame of reference! R10 are 5 stars across the board except for price where they are 4.5stars."

How do you know what ANYTHING there sounds like? You go out an buy it and get a surprise.

If your interested in trying it, get a few headphones at a similar price point and compare them detail for detail. listen to each one very carefully for a song (or part of a song) and then the others. try them out on a variety of music. Listen for bass, mid-bass, mids, upper mids, and highs. compare the overall "tone" of the headphones. are there any details in a specfic part of the music that you hear standing out (the "knurl" in a distorted bass guitar, or the complex tones of a cello for example) on any of the headphones but not the others? Try to avoid getting "latched" onto one specific part of the music (I find I latch on bass, Im a basshead, what can I say) it makes your reviews borrrrring and you may miss something that was hiding elsewhere. Also avoid simply stating "I like this more" without justification. Even with your justification try to avoid doing it too much.

A solid review (by my elitist
tongue.gif
definition) is a royal pain in the bumm to put together even with 2 or 3 headphones. Even if you dont post it listening this critically to a few things may improve the way you listen & hear things in the future. Its a very good exercise.

Feb 6, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont think the 4 linked threads are particularly valuable. Sorry. I appreciate........

Very good post here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back