Why aren't mono CDs twice as long?
Mar 10, 2006 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jagorev

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, this might be a really stupid question...but:

I have a bunch of CD remasterings of old recordings from the pre-stereo era. These are in mono sound. Since mono only has one channel, shouldn't there be half as much data in mono as in stereo?

If so, why aren't mono CD releases twice as long? I would expect them to be able to fit 150-160 minutes in the same number of megabytes as it takes to fit 75-80 minutes of stereo.

Mar 10, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Ok, this might be a really stupid question...but:

I have a bunch of CD remasterings of old recordings from the pre-stereo era. These are in mono sound. Since mono only has one channel, shouldn't there be half as much data in mono as in stereo?

If so, why aren't mono CD releases twice as long? I would expect them to be able to fit 150-160 minutes in the same number of megabytes as it takes to fit 75-80 minutes of stereo.

All Mono recordings have 2 channels on remasters. The same channel plays through both speakers, hence, mono sound (mono stereo). Stereo is comprised of two discrete channels, R & L. So, in effect, they both take up the same space since if it was truly mono, it would only play out of one speaker.

Mar 10, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
All Mono recordings have 2 channels on remasters. The same channel plays through both speakers, hence, mono sound. Stereo is comprised to two discrete channels, R & L. So, in effect, they both take up the same space since if it was truly mono, it would only play out of one speaker.

But....that's such a complete waste of space!

My ancient cassette deck had a mono/stereo switch, so that mono music would come out of both speakers. This would seem relatively easy to implement with our vastly advanced equipment.

Mar 10, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
But....that's such a complete waste of space!

My ancient cassette deck had a mono/stereo switch, so that mono music would come out of both speakers. This would seem relatively easy to implement with our vastly advanced equipment.

Yep, it would be. But the Redbook spec didn't allow for a "send the same signal to both channels" code... I guess they weren't thinking about mono. You could implement it further up the line but without standardization it would be kind of pointless. And, again, most manufacturers just didn't care about mono.

Mar 10, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by blip
Yep, it would be. But the Redbook spec didn't allow for a "send the same signal to both channels" code... I guess they weren't thinking about mono. You could implement it further up the line but without standardization it would be kind of pointless. And, again, most manufacturers just didn't care about mono.

You just took the words out of my mouth.

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
You just took the words out of my mouth.

Great minds think alike eh?
orphsmile.gif

Mar 11, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #7 of 8
I believe Sony got it right with ATRAC minidisc mono implementation. I'm not sure about SACD or DVD-A. Anyone know about these high res formats?

Mar 11, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by blip

Even if this could be done, I don't know if it would be done much, IME very few recordings can take advantage of something like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back