Why aren’t headphones made with the option to be both open and closed?
Dec 5, 2018 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

BradleyM29

100+ Head-Fier
Headphones are either open, semi-open, or closed. Why do we not have all three options on at least some of the headphones out there?

Genuinely curious as to why this isn’t something we see in headphones.

Is it too difficult to get the sound signature where a manufacturer wants it in all three options or do they see it as one less potential headphone sale for the company if they have more than one option?

More food for thought:
You have a DT770 and a DT990 that have swappable shields. You take the closed shield off the DT770 then put it on the DT990 and vice versa. With the shields swapped would you have an acceptable open-back and closed headphone experience with each one?

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 10
Headphones are either open, semi-open, or closed. Why do we not have all three options on at least some of the headphones out there? Genuinely curious as to why this isn’t something we see in headphones.
Is it too difficult to get the sound signature where a manufacturer wants it in all three options or do they see it as one less potential headphone sale for the company if they have more than one option? More food for thought:
You have a DT770 and a DT990 that have swappable shields. You take the closed shield off the DT770 then put it on the DT990 and vice versa. With the shields swapped would you have an acceptable open-back and closed headphone experience with each one?
I'm guessing there is very little demand for headphones that can function as both open and closed.
Beyerdynamic COPS headphones come with vents that can open and close.

Dec 5, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for pointing that out. Does it do a good job at being open and closed? Why do you think there isn’t a lot more like this?
Personally, I love mine. But in no way, shape or form is it a closed back. Semi open with the covers off. You also have the Monoprice Monolith M560

Dec 5, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #6 of 10
Headphones are either open, semi-open, or closed. Why do we not have all three options on at least some of the headphones out there?

Genuinely curious as to why this isn’t something we see in headphones.

Is it too difficult to get the sound signature where a manufacturer wants it in all three options or do they see it as one less potential headphone sale for the company if they have more than one option?

More food for thought:
It's due to tuning differences. Closed headphones are tuned to take account of the closed resonances, and open headphones have some sort of acoustically tuned venting. It's not as simple as closing (sealing) an open tuned headphone, you'd have to modify it's material acoustics to compensate for the change or it wouldn't sound good.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 4:41 AM Post #7 of 10
It's due to tuning differences. Closed headphones are tuned to take account of the closed resonances, and open headphones have some sort of acoustically tuned venting. It's not as simple as closing (sealing) an open tuned headphone, you'd have to modify it's material acoustics to compensate for the change or it wouldn't sound good.

^this 100%. A headphone that has this feature, while cool, will definitely be compromising on something in the sound quality department.

That being said, you can also DIY a simple mod be taping some paper or something to the backs of an open-back. I tried something similar with the HD 6XX for giggles (although I wasn't giggling when I tried listening to it. It was AWFUL).

Dec 6, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #8 of 10
Thanks for pointing that out. Does it do a good job at being open and closed? Why do you think there isn’t a lot more like this?
Pretty decent job at both. Sounds like it's price. Closed isolation is actually pretty good considering the method for closure. All in all a good portable
It's a good question. Maybe not a huge demand among the audiophile community.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #9 of 10
Th900 is closed yet vented, you can’t tell tho

Users who are viewing this thread

Back