Why are there so many W5k threads suddenly?
Apr 14, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #16 of 32
I have my own theory:
very_evil_smiley.gif

after I bought dt880, they suddenly became popular on this forum;
....................sa5k.......................... ....................................
....................w5k........................... ....................................

There are alway exceptions (oh akg, akg).
tongue.gif

Apr 15, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #19 of 32
I find it absolutely amazing how many people are so willing and eager to just step up and say "OK, here's $900 of my hard-earned cash money for that set of headphones." I mean, WOW. Talk about a crap load of money for a set of cans. It just blows me away how $900 just seems like pocket change to quite a few folks around here.

I'm a middle-aged gear freak and I spend way to much money on stereo, CD's, musical instruments, my Audi TT, etc.

I fear the day that I really start getting into 2 channel speaker setups.

Apr 15, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
I'm also intending to sell mine in the future. Again because the presentation just doesn't do it for me.

Fantastic technical proficiency (especially for a closed can), but the timbre just feels wrong to me.

Waht do you feel is not for you? Is it because the midrange is somewhat clinical and maybe a little sterile?

Or could it be the bass could do with a little more oomph.

Kuma>So how is the w5k working out for you over your usual phones? How did you like the w5k to the w2002?

Apr 15, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #21 of 32
GRW19,

A W 5k is working out just great!

I really haven't had an urge to use a RS1 which is a good thing. (Particularly for a closed cans )

I never thought I would like any AT cans but I realise now that the amp/sytsem matching is pretty important for any set of hi-res. cans.

I had a pleasure listening to both W2002 and W5000 for a long period of time using both the Headline2/SC and Aria.

Altho, I certainly can appreciate the midrange delivery of the W2002, the W5000 suits me better in terms of timing.

I found them more even in frequency transition and can sort out the bass notes better.

I am glad that I've decided to give the AT a second chance.

Apr 15, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #22 of 32
Kuma,

I'm glad you still like the W5K. The W2002 works out a bit better to my taste, both share similar sonic signatures. The W5K certainly has deeper bass, while the W2002's midrange is more transparent.

Apr 15, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #23 of 32
Was the W2002 the predecessor of the W5000 at the same pricepoint?

Apr 15, 2006 at 7:34 AM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Waht do you feel is not for you? Is it because the midrange is somewhat clinical and maybe a little sterile?

Or could it be the bass could do with a little more oomph.

There's very little to fault in terms of technical assessments. It's detailed, extremely unveiled, and reasonably flat and consistant across the frequency range. It's dynamics are fine. There's a curious effect with it's tonal balance that makes things also sound like they've been shifted up an octave, but I feel that could be fixed easy enough with amping (the W5000 cries out for 300Bs, to me, like a baby calling for its mothers milk).

But the moment I put on my pair of HE60s I knew that it just wasn't for me. From a technical point of view the W5k isn't too far short of the Baby O, especially considering the large price difference, but the Baby O just absolutely kills and dances on the grave while firing bursts on a Kalashnikov the W5000 when it comes to timbre, the ability to extract the essence of the music. Going from one to the other, the AT sounds like a facimilie, and the Baby O the real deal. It's almost genocidal.

So there went my plan to use the W5k as my long-term closed headphone, and I decided in quick order that all roads lead to the 4070. The only problem is that the Stax is awfully expensive, and that as I have an actual need for a closed headphone because of my living arrangements I can't sell the W5k to fund the purchace of the Stax...
Still, I think whoever gets the W5k after I sell them will be very happy with them. Just stay away from the HE60s. Ignorance is bliss, so they say.

Apr 15, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #27 of 32
I think the guys who complained about the W5000's coloration were simply unlucky in terms of amplification. The cans definitely benefit from an amp that has oomph and can be voiced in one way or another. If you've got that option you will be rewarded with some of the best music reproduction you've most likely ever heard. I have more experience with $$$$ speaker systems than with many headphone rigs, so don't take my word for it. Ask Elephas, he's got the most amazing headphone store at his disposal in Taiwan (they even stock RSA, how cool is that?) and compared many amazing top-tier cans against his W5k/HA5k combo, which in his view came out on top of just about anything he heard.

I am not saying they are perfect. For instance, the slight reverb someone mentioned. As soon as I have my SLAM running again, I am going to try a 120 Ohm adapter and apply some dampening (adhesive bitumen) to the wood chambers. I have got everything here and will report back as soon as I get around to do the mods.

Apr 15, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnylexus
I find it absolutely amazing how many people are so willing and eager to just step up and say "OK, here's $900 of my hard-earned cash money for that set of headphones." I mean, WOW. Talk about a crap load of money for a set of cans. It just blows me away how $900 just seems like pocket change to quite a few folks around here.

I'm a middle-aged gear freak and I spend way to much money on stereo, CD's, musical instruments, my Audi TT, etc.

I fear the day that I really start getting into 2 channel speaker setups.

They're actually around $700 after shipping from pj.

I didn't even notice the recent increase in W5000 threads, it just dawned on me a few days ago that these would be the perfect headphones for me since I've lost interest in aquiring out of production headphones.

Apr 15, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
They're actually around $700 after shipping from pj.

I didn't even notice the recent increase in W5000 threads, it just dawned on me a few days ago that these would be the perfect headphones for me since I've lost interest in aquiring out of production headphones.

You mean $800, not $700. AFAIK, it's around $780 with EMS, $800 with DHL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back