Why are there so many choices?
Jul 19, 2008 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

chakib

New Head-Fier
so ive managed to acquire a set of HD650's of my own. and...well..im not even going to go into what pleasures my ears are experiencing! all this and thyre still not run in properly and was a variation of through a laptop and a friends ibasso DAC.

However i still greatly enjoy listening through speakers into an open room. i was wondering what kind of setup i should look into. will a DAC be enough to drive a set of speakers. and what sort of speakers will appeal to me. i would love to go and try things out my self yet i do not have that option. the reason i want this is ive started to notice a certain muddiness when music is run straight through laptop. and no its not sound quality. almost all of my music is either LOSLESS or very high bit rate. so i'm here asking for advice.

Output would be through laptop. a Fujitsu Siemens xi1546. i hear the audio engine a5's are brilliant. on the other hand i hear the Acoustic Energy Aego:m are really good. what can drive these in terms of a DAC or Receiver?

i like bass. sometimes i guess ALOT of bass. i listen mainly to electronica.
so what should i look into? two channel or 2.1 setup?
power from a receiver or a DAC. im not so sure on the power to drive 2 channels. ive had the pleasure of experiencing Bowers & Wilkins and good god! i dream!

these are my question. im quite technically capable. yet this is my first venture into the true audio world.

anything ive missed out please ask away.
i await your recommendations. thanks.

Jul 19, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 3
I like B&W,I've been using the low-end 602s3 for years driven by a Rotel amp. If I could re-build my speaker system I'd go with active monitors. I recommend Mackie because they're what I like but you'd need to audition for yourself.

If you like serious bass you will need a subwoofer. There are very good subs starting at $300( SVS/ HSU).

Jul 20, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #3 of 3
For sheer detail and clarity I'd recommend active near-field monitors for desktop listening, but they can be very pricey.

However, it sounds like you're a bass-head which means you may be happy with Logitech's offerings. I've heard the Audioengine A5s and they have nice bass, more then my Genelecs but much less then any Logitech system I've heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back