Why are there no inexpensive USB DAC kits? (Also, comments wanted.)
Oct 16, 2006 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Spasticteapot

100+ Head-Fier
After hearing the massive improvement after I upgraded my crappy Magnavox CD player (no laughing, please!) to a Denon DCD-695 (5$ from St. Vinny's), I decided that it's finally time to get a no-nonsense DAC.

The problem is? I'm a laptop junkie.

It seems to me that a small, portable DAC should be ridiculously easy. The combination of a PCM2706 and TDA1543 is pretty popular, and looks to be simple; 2 TDA1543's in paralell should work pretty well, and at 3$ each on FleaBay, they'll hardly break the bank.

So, why can't I just buy a cheap kit? I've seen a simple TDA1543-based DAC kit on FleaBay for 40$, but it used S/PDIF. (It even included an optical adapter!)

The HPDAC looks pretty nice, but sadly, it's no longer availible, and I don't trust myself not to screw it up.

Oct 16, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spasticteapot
After hearing the massive improvement after I upgraded my crappy Magnavox CD player (no laughing, please!) to a Denon DCD-695 (5$ from St. Vinny's), I decided that it's finally time to get a no-nonsense DAC.

The problem is? I'm a laptop junkie.

It seems to me that a small, portable DAC should be ridiculously easy. The combination of a PCM2706 and TDA1543 is pretty popular, and looks to be simple; 2 TDA1543's in paralell should work pretty well, and at 3$ each on FleaBay, they'll hardly break the bank.

So, why can't I just buy a cheap kit? I've seen a simple TDA1543-based DAC kit on FleaBay for 40$, but it used S/PDIF. (It even included an optical adapter!)

The HPDAC looks pretty nice, but sadly, it's no longer availible, and I don't trust myself not to screw it up.

Check the site again
wink.gif
. dsavitsk received another set of boards and put them up for sale a couple days ago. I just ordered one myself yesterday. Grab one up before they're gone.

Oct 16, 2006 at 7:12 AM Post #3 of 9
Back when the minidiscs were still not in the "net-md" or "hi-md" generation, there was a big demand for USB dacs that could output to spdif. There should still be some xitel going around for pretty cheap (think maybe 15-20$, that's even cheaper than a kit). There are also more reputable stuff, like m-audio sonica and transit.

Oct 16, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 9
Or spend more and get a TotalBitHead from Headroom.

Oct 16, 2006 at 8:14 PM Post #6 of 9
Probably this isn't what you meant, but "USB dacs that could output to spdif" would be digital-to-digital and no DAC at all.

There's the Apogee mini-me, of course. Does all this for only $900! Yes that's sarcasm! Though I'm sure it is a great piece of a equipment. Computer-based audio still doesn't have the ear of DAC-makers. I'd guess they're a small group, and the stand-alone DAC market is small already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back