why are the people here at headfi usually more pleasant?
Sep 7, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #32 of 60
I always thought the cost of entry had something to do with it, as being able to afford this crap says something about the character of the user. For example, audiophile gear is a pure luxury purchase. You can't be an audiophile without some cash in your pocket. This keeps the dumb kids off the forums, and even the younger ones here have to be diciplined to save up for gear (for example, up until about 19-20 all my spending money was gone within days from partying...buying anything expensive just wan't even an option
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Also headphones are a very solitary, introspective thing. It's not social, not something you 'do' with anyone else. Any debates would be like debating a work of art - it's all interpretation. It's not like you can really 'win', it's just debating aesthetic more or less. With other hobbies like computers, cars, etc you can easily claim to be 'better' than someone else by having a faster computer, more powerful car, etc. It doesn't really apply so much here at head-fi.

Just imagine...

"Haha little bitch, nice SR-60's! Come talk to me when you get at least some SR-325's. My rig FADES you!"

An insult like that just doesn't have much bite
smily_headphones1.gif

--Illah

Sep 7, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #33 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illah
"Haha little bitch, nice SR-60's! Come talk to me when you get at least some SR-325's. My rig FADES you!"

An insult like that just doesn't have much bite
smily_headphones1.gif

--Illah

I'm ashamed to have used such tactics against Gloco's Sony MDR-V7506 when he dared to try and school my AKG K81DJ at the last NYC Portables Meet. But on Saturday we have to have a rematch on HIS turf in Brooklyn. I'm scared.

Sep 7, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #34 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
The real reason is because every single head-fi user is a chronically boring nerd, this, combined with the no-politics rules of the forums, and the generally self satisfying nature of the hobby (unlike other forums for things like games for example, which are based from the outset on competition).

Theres no fighting at head-fi because theres nothign to fight about. Occassionally theres some disharmony of some kind but it never lasts long.

Maybe its because all the big arguments (grado vs sennheiser, electrostatic vs dynamic, balanced vs signle ended, cables make a difference vs no they dont, LP vs CD, tubes vs solid state) have all been done so many times by so many people with the same core answers and arguements in each one, that noone can really be bothered to work up steam anymore.

Yeah I like head-fi. Its chillaxtastic.

Well put.
Now lets all go have a happy listening session.
340smile.gif

Sep 7, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #35 of 60
I like this response and if I may make an addition that others has noted several times already.

It is the music that we love and appreciate that calms us down a bit from our normal high intensity programming from the rest of the day. I do get up-tight at work, believe me, and every once in a while it shows here and so far most have provided understanding when needed. This also has been appreciated by me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riordan
1. a common ground that makes us happy
2. jude
3. the mods
4. us

it's not that trouble doesn't arise, it's the way trouble is dealt with around here that makes head-fi stand out. goodwill is contagious
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 7, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #36 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
My take would be two-fold:

1. From its inception this forum has always had a tone set by its core members: helpful, encouraging, and overall nice to folks. Then, as people stick around they all catch on and, in a sense, pay it forward. We repay the kindnesss and patience we were shown by being kind and patient with others.

2. The site's owner, and all the mods, monitor this site actively and squash malcontents, major fights, and trolls pretty quickly.

Just my .02 worth.

I agree with Doug on this one, with the addition that I like this place too much to get kicked out for fighting, trolling, etc.
I have pushed my luck far enough to get a polite and firm warning though.
wink.gif

Sep 7, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #37 of 60
1. Strict rules against things like swearing, politics, religion, etc.

2. Heavily sponsored forum.

3. Lots of older folks here, especially the most frequent/active members.

(Older as in at least 21+)

Sep 8, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #39 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by afobisme
but the rules on swearing ARENT strict.. i said bitch in a post earlier, it wasn't filtered i dont think... which is awesome.

i dont like strict environments like that.

"Bitch" is far from anything serious.

Sep 8, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #40 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
"Bitch" is far from anything serious.

yes, but it is from strict. hell, you can't even say "damn" over at fatwallet. feels so PG over there, then again there's quite a bit of trolling/bickering there.

Sep 8, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #43 of 60
I think most people here are laid back, because they share a common interest in a sujective hobby. The experienced members don't treat newbies like crap or have anything to prove. There are just a lot of mature people in the forum.

I think these factors above contribute more than the moderation here. I think the mods do a great job of policing the forum, without micromanaging. I've seen forums where the presence of moderation is extreme and there is more rebellion towards them. Here, the mods are level headed and pretty much give us the benefit of the doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back