Why are some China made products expensive?
Dec 19, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #20 of 31
Because some brand names sell well, regardless if the product its made in China or anywhere else.

Dec 19, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #21 of 31
If you're concerned about Coach being made in China, rest assured LV is only made in France
wink.gif

Coach isn't that high up there anyway.

Dec 19, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've noticed that Coach hand bags which cost around $500 are made in China. Banana Republic clothes which are also made in China are expensive too. I always thought that stuff made in China were cheap but how is that a $500 coach bag made in China so expensive? A lot of these products are massed produced too. Just curious.

And no, I am not interested in buying hand bags for myself.

Because Chinese make quality products.

Dec 19, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #23 of 31
10 or so years ago they were made in the USA,
Is coach saying the US can't make leather goods anymore?
Have you seen their HQ?, I think they had a roof deck fire over the summer.

Dec 19, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #24 of 31
You know, the Chinese are capable of making fine products. Just because the majority of products released from them are cheap doesn't mean everything is. While I'm sure there is a hefty markup, you could also be paying for good craftsmanship as well.

Dec 20, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not much up on the cost of manufacturing clothes, but I can do a part count and a rough estimate for an amp. Some of the high end ones really do have pricey parts. I've seen others with four-digit markups.

I don't have a problem paying profit - fair is fair - but some of the margins are unconscionable. A couple manufacturers I can think of absolutely cannot justify their prices.

Even high end amps normally have less than 100-150$ in components.

Those "audiophile" film caps they often have? markup in the 1000% range. Same with all those "audiophile" resistors. The jacks are the worst though. You can find unbranded "brand name" jacks, from the factories where the brands source their stuff for 5$ when the branded ones cost 100$.

Audiophiles get gouged because they think price equals performance.

Dec 20, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even high end amps normally have less than 100-150$ in components.

I disagree. You can't equate price with total parts price. You have to factor in amount of time to make, the factory it's made in, the amount of time to DESIGN the amp, and ****, the guy who's making it has to make money or else he won't make it. Taking the last point, everyone in the chain has to make money. Take it from the bottom. The people who sell make resisters/capacitors/etc. need to make money, the people who sell stepped attenuators using those parts need to make money, the amp builders who need stepped attenuators and resistors/etc. need to make money. And eventually, it reaches you.

I agree, some companies have ridiculous markups, but that's up to you on where you spend your money.

Dec 21, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #28 of 31
Agreed with some of the previous posters. It's not because it's made in China that it's bad quality. You would have to look at how many returns are done compared to cheaper brands due to defects to know if it's bad quality or not, no matter if it's sewed in back-country china or manhattan new-york.

Then there's also the number of seems, their manufacturability and all those things you have to factor in.

Dec 21, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #29 of 31
The chinese are more than capable of producing high quality products. I'm in the high-tech sector and some very high-end test and engineering products are being produced in China and can cost upteen thousands of dollars.

They've been badmouthed recently because of some issues with Lead on Walmart products, but that doesn't mean they're incapable of producing quality stuff. Japan used to be the same way... everyone though Japanese made products were hideous, now we pay a premium for it. China will be the same way unless the U.S. can fix their economy.

Dec 23, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #30 of 31
Because they aren't selling you a tangible product, but, rather, an intangible, hyper-real emotion. Try to put a price on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back