Why are MiniDisc players still around?
Sep 2, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #31 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superbaldguy
My favourite MD unit is the erstwhile Sony MZ-R50.

Oh how I miss thee!!! If Sony made a modern update of the R50 I'd buy it in a hearbeat - with Hi-MD, separate line out, same size, and all metal body. To dream....

Sep 2, 2005 at 10:58 PM Post #32 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by reynman
Oh how I miss thee!!! If Sony made a modern update of the R50 I'd buy it in a hearbeat - with Hi-MD, separate line out, same size, and all metal body. To dream....

Just want to throw in better battery life. Something over 100 hours would be sweet.
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2005 at 11:34 PM Post #33 of 68
100 hours?

Seems like we're getting a bit spoiled - the R50 can go about 6 hours before a charge is needed.
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #34 of 68
I've been looking at some of the Sharp models that have over 100 hours of playback (not recording) with AA and NiHM batteries. It's a little sad that the highest I've seen from a HIMD is only around 30 hours.

I'm just waiting for a himd player with better battery life.
icon10.gif

Sep 3, 2005 at 1:22 PM Post #35 of 68
On the playback level, MD players are only worth while at this point for gapless playback. But that is cancelled out by being forced to use SonicStage. So its a zero there. In fact a negative, because its not truly shock proof, like a flash player. And agood flash palyer like the Iaudio U2 has at least as good sound if not better.

On the recording side, the advantage Minidisc has over a DAP is the sound level meters. But again its a hassle getting your recording off it. So there even my U2 can pretty much do whatever I did with my old DR7.

I left minidisc a while ago, its not worth it anymore.

Sep 4, 2005 at 12:43 AM Post #36 of 68
I love my MD as well. Even though, my Sharp MD-SS323 and my Sony MZ-R50 rarely get any of my time these days. I think the MD is a great recording device. I own the iRiver IHP-120 and its recording ability is only decent. My IHP-120 doesn't detect the end or the beginning of the song, therefore, one record is a whole leght of CD or concert. I also prefer the sound of my SS323 headphone output than my IHP-120, IHP-320, Sony Vaio and iPod 4th Gen. Of course, my MP3s and ATRACs are at 256kbs

Sep 4, 2005 at 11:36 PM Post #37 of 68
At the end of the day its an alternative choice and some people like the combination of features found in a MDLP/HiMD. High quality, and long recordings. Removable media, removable batteries, great sound, and if you want you don't need to use a computer for anything.

Theres nothing else that has the same combination of features. Thats simply it.

Sep 5, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #39 of 68
I've stuck with MD through the years because I only listened to music in the car, not at home or work. It's easy to look thru a box of labeled MDs while you're at a stop light and pull out something you want to listen to, then stick it in the head unit. You can't fumble around as much with a CD or you risk scratching it. Drop an MD on the floor, no big deal. And you can't really go fumbling for playlists on an MP3 player at a stoplight (at least, I can't...I've tested myself, while NOT in the driver's seat, and I still can't do it).

My MD recorder has a permanent home attached to my PC for recordings. All my MDs are basically "mix tapes." To me MD represents the next step from the mix tapes we used to make in college. Way more useful than cassettes!

That said, one of my 2 N707's has bitten the dust, and I bought an MP3 player to replace it. I've got enough MDs out in the car to keep me happy for years, and now I have a device that holds all my music in one. Best of both worlds, I think.

But I got fed up with ATRAC in general so I won't be supporting Sony any longer. Had a few customer service issues (re MD) and wrote them a scathing email in which I detailed all the Sony items we've purchased since 1997, when my husband and I set up house together. Damn, it was a lot of stuff!

D.

Sep 5, 2005 at 6:41 AM Post #40 of 68
To add to all the things already said, MD units have easily replacible batteries and spare ones are much cheaper than the Li-ions found on the most of the DAPs. This coupled to their long battery life makes them very energy efficient.
I agree that Sony is to blame for the limited popularity of MD. Their draconian DRM and plain bad software implementation is the main weak point. They were also slow to adopt mp3 support.
If they ever release a player that acts as a mass storage device for music playback and supports mp3 I'll be the first one to run and buy it, but I doubt that such player will ever be made.
In the meantime my Hi-MD unit still sees some use from time to time, but for everyday use I'm over to a DAP.

Sep 5, 2005 at 9:09 AM Post #41 of 68
MiniDisc will only survive because it serves a niche market and its fans are so dedicated that they keep buying new units. Hi MD has a lot of potentional but Sony don't seem to be marketing it as well as they should. If/when Sharp and others come into play in the Hi-MD game, then we'll see if the format can take off.

Sadly, I don't see that happening for some reason.

Sep 5, 2005 at 9:22 AM Post #42 of 68
I assume that the main purpose for Minidisc now is for recording mostly?
I've never used them for listening to music. For that, I use my good old DCJ01 mp3/cd player.

Is there something wrong with me?

Sep 5, 2005 at 9:35 AM Post #43 of 68
Field recording, mostly, and being able to a have great sound in a portable, durable package that is shockproof. MD has a lot going for it, give it a whirl.
wink.gif

Sep 5, 2005 at 9:51 AM Post #44 of 68
Have to say Sony dropped the ball with MD units. Its a great format, but Sony really did their best to drive people away from the format. Still are in my opinion. I'd say most MD owners also have another MP3 player of some type.

Sep 5, 2005 at 6:31 PM Post #45 of 68
I have owned several and still have a new rh710 and a nh900, i like removable media, i like recording gigs.
I also have a hd5 and the sound quality of my rh710 (with some equalizer adjustments) is almost as good with mp3 ( no line out though) and just as good with Atrac3.
I think Sony will make units for a few years more but they are selling to the wrong crowd , it cant rival HDD players but it is the best recording format by a mile ( i have tried irivers etc and they suck at recording).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back