Why are Marantz receivers so popular
Feb 12, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #16 of 20
I used to have a Marantz circa 1980s amp but I blew them
frown.gif

Feb 12, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by pretzelb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps it's just me over generalizing what I read. I assumed an audiophile would never get just a receiver ... ever. But maybe what I'm seeing is some people getting integrated units (which I didn't consider) and some people who aren't what I generalize as audiophiles.

Thanks all for the info.

I doubt many audiophiles are buying vintage Marantz equipment; it's more likely audio enthusiasts and collectors. I bought mine for their bang for the buck value.

To clarify my previous post, I find no need for an equalizer with my Marantz and speakers; however I definitely find my equalizer greatly improves the performance of my headphones.

Feb 12, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to have a Marantz circa 1980s amp but I blew them
frown.gif

Me too. Twice actually.
biggrin.gif
My L-430, started to emit smoke and disturbing frying sounds when driving 6ohm/100W speakers a bit too ambitiously.
blink.gif
My fault obviously.
redface.gif
Oh well - amplifier technology has evolved since then, I suppose.

Unfortunately, I cannot say what he headphone-out sounded like.

Luxman nostalgia (in German, but a lot of pictures)

Feb 12, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Me too. Twice actually.
biggrin.gif
My L-430, started to emit smoke and disturbing frying sounds when driving 6ohm/100W speakers a bit too ambitiously.
blink.gif
My fault obviously.
redface.gif
Oh well - amplifier technology has evolved since then, I suppose.

Unfortunately, I cannot say what he headphone-out sounded like.

Luxman nostalgia (in German, but a lot of pictures)

The key is Marantz from the 70s.
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #20 of 20
Of course, when people use the term 'receiver' referring to modern equipment they tend to mean surround amp. Back in the day before every living room was sprinkled with tinny 7W speakers it just meant a proper stereo amplifier with an integrated radio tuner.

And no matter how you slice it, a 6-channel amp with all sorts of surround decoding hardware is going to sound worse than a simple stereo amp built to the same price point, hence the audiophool's distaste for modern recievers.
[size=xx-small]

(..says the man with a $10 Sony amp hooked up to a $25 soundcard)
[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back