Why are IEMs expensive?
Dec 8, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #47 of 140

Quote:
Are you serious.... Since you have said that you have never heard high end IEMs I don't see how you can make this comment. This simply isn't true and the differences are even bigger as you move into Customs and most people who own customs agree that it was worth every dollar. 

If you don't think it's worth the money, don't buy it. Simple as that. A number of valid points have already been pointed out in this thread. Nobody is going to force you to buy $400 headphones and there are lower priced IEMs that perform very well for their price that you can look into. 

Will an average, everyday person be able to hear this difference?
And what is the difference, I mean lacky bass, lack in amplitude somewhere? (all can be fixed with some equalising), thus why spend so much when you don't have to spend none?

Dec 8, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #48 of 140
All my mum does is browse the web, check emails and occasionally writes letters and prints them.To her, a Mac 4x the price of a cheap PC is not justified and there is no improvement going form a PC to a Mac. She also uses stock earbuds from her Sony MP3 player and also cannot justify any more then £10 earphones.

I will tell you this now. The sound quality is a BIG jump. Going from the muddy and muffled Sony ex-71 to the UE TF10s, You WILL hear detail you never heard before in your music. If hearing detail in your music you couldn't possibly hear before in your cheap earphones isn't a justifiable expense, then you're in the wrong forum.

Quote:
Apple is completely overpriced and I agree (when you talk hardware), but take a look at an ordinary PC with Windows, now take a look (or better try-out) a Mac with Mac OS, now tell me difference and which one you find more pleasurable.

But when I see IEMs, the sound quality isn't improved by far more, everyone says it a bit, a bit more, a bit better (barely noticeable). Not a really big better, yet the price is a lot bigger. Therefore the value is too high for something to be a bit better.

Returning to the Apple case, a MAC is a lot better!

Dec 8, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #49 of 140
Why do people buy $3000 Rolex watches when they can buy a regular one for $5? Why do people spend $200,000 on Mercedes when you can buy used Hyundai for $5,000? Why do you live in a house when you can survival perfectly fine in a cave or a cardboard box somewhere?

OMG none of it makes any sense!!! I AM SO CONFUSED OMFGLMAO

Quote:
And what is the difference, I mean lacky bass, lack in amplitude somewhere? (all can be fixed with some equalising), thus why spend so much when you don't have to spend none?

Dec 8, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #50 of 140

Quote:

Guess you will never know how good your music can sound.....

Dec 8, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #51 of 140

Quote:

Why spend any money at all? Some of us think that little extra that comes with higher end phones are worth the money we spend on them. Simply put. No one is forcing anyone to spend all that money, and no one (I don't think) would look down on anyone with great IEMs that only cost $100 or less.

Dec 8, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #52 of 140

Quote:
Guess you will never know how good your music can sound.....

Which music genre are you talking about? (and everyone else on Head-Fi)
People say (know) that Pop is not natural, but much (if not all) music is twitched with electronics to make it sound better, or at least in a way that they want it to sound? So what music genre is really believed to be good to listen to?

Dec 8, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #53 of 140

Quote:

Average everyday people are able to tell the difference seriously. Btw EQing a pair of headphones does not solve physical problems with the IEM's driver itself. EQing will never solve clarity problems like bass accuracy(determined by square wave response?) and accuracy through out the frequency spectrum. EQing can't magically do instrumental separation either. EQing only balances the frequency response curve but does not make music more accurate.

Dec 8, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #54 of 140

Quote:

You don't need super hearing to notice the differences between a cheapo-substandard-forgettable-earbuds/iems and a high end IEM. Your question is akin to going on a cycling forum and asking road cyclists why they use thousand dollar bikes when a simple BMX will do the job. i.e What the ______ are you even doing on this forum? Btw, I love ur selective reading skills brah. 

There's no specific genre that's "good to listen to". Listen to whatever music you like. You're the one doing the listening. Me, I like The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys, Yellowcard, Leona Lewis, Adele, ATCQ, Justin Bieber, Westlife, just to name a few. 

Dec 8, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #55 of 140

Quote:
Apple is completely overpriced and I agree (when you talk hardware), but take a look at an ordinary PC with Windows, now take a look (or better try-out) a Mac with Mac OS, now tell me difference and which one you find more pleasurable.

But when I see IEMs, the sound quality isn't improved by far more, everyone says it a bit, a bit more, a bit better (barely noticeable). Not a really big better, yet the price is a lot bigger. Therefore the value is too high for something to be a bit better.

Returning to the Apple case, a MAC is a lot better!

Wow. What monumental bias. Mac is better because your opinion is so but others need to prove a hardware advantage for viability? I couldn't even use great programs like Wavelab with MAC  until this year and I can't still get my a mac to sound quite as good. My wife's favored genealogy programs simply don't run. Love my Ipod Touches but get around a PC just as easily as a MAC. I like both but actually use a PC.
 For me, I haven't found a sub $200 IEM(and some over) that I could make my main squeeze and I've tried plenty. If you can't appreciate the difference than more power to you but if that's the case, it's because you simply don't get it or have source/file issues.

Dec 8, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #56 of 140

Quote:
All my mum does is browse the web, check emails and occasionally writes letters and prints them.To her, a Mac 4x the price of a cheap PC is not justified and there is no improvement going form a PC to a Mac. She also uses stock earbuds from her Sony MP3 player and also cannot justify any more then £10 earphones.

I will tell you this now. The sound quality is a BIG jump. Going from the muddy and muffled Sony ex-71 to the UE TF10s, You WILL hear detail you never heard before in your music. If hearing detail in your music you couldn't possibly hear before in your cheap earphones isn't a justifiable expense, then you're in the wrong forum.

I and my wife do a lot more and a mac won't always accommodate. See above. It a relative thing weather you prefer or need one to another. There's no best or the market would show it even when comparing only upper price points.

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #57 of 140
Don't MAC's run on deliberately crippled and overpriced PC hardware anyway?  Apple Mac OSX is a delliberately crippled and customised version of Linux to all intents and purposes.

If it was so special how come i can actually install Mac OSX on my laptop, it doesn't work very well, but i can use it.

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #58 of 140

Quote:
Don't MAC's run on deliberately crippled and overpriced PC hardware anyway?  Apple Mac OSX is a delliberately crippled and customised version of Linux to all intents and purposes.

If it was so special how come i can actually install Mac OSX on my laptop, it doesn't work very well, but i can use it.

Mac OS is based on UNIX which is nearly the same for Linux. Apple doesn't let you to install its Mac OS on other PCs simply because it obliges you to get their own computer to use it, but also because they hate Windows and everything that it connects to.
Mac is special because of how easy and beautiful Mac OS is, but also Apple computers just look amazing and are wonderfully designed, unlike most PCs.
You can obviously install Mac OS on any PC because they all have the same principal components, but 1) It's illegal and 2) It won't (as you said) be perfect. [Thus the solution is get a MAC] 
wink_face.gif

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #60 of 140

Quote:

Mac OS is based on UNIX which is nearly the same for Linux. Apple doesn't let you to install its Mac OS on other PCs simply because it obliges you to get their own computer to use it, but also because they hate Windows and everything that it connects to.
Mac is special because of how easy and beautiful Mac OS is, but also Apple computers just look amazing and are wonderfully designed, unlike most PCs.
You can obviously install Mac OS on any PC because they all have the same principal components, but 1) It's illegal and 2) It won't (as you said) be perfect. [Thus the solution is get a MAC] 
wink_face.gif

Like stated before, this is your opinion. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back