Why are flagship headphones so expensive now?
Jan 24, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #347 of 423
  When I was 18, and worked at a golf course, the boss or second in line boss had a Dakar yellow e36.

Pic cannot do this car justice. I was floored by how amazing this paint color is. And he had some chip work down in the Southern belt (we are in Canada), exhaust etc, and it was beautiful.

My first M3 was a 1995 Dakar USA spec coupe.

Now I have a 1995 Euro Spec Sedan

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Jan 25, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #348 of 423
Orpheous deserve to be expensive. It was the whole system that designed into it as in Amp and headphones. Uniquely developed for the system and not found anywhere else. It is a piece of art, a piece of statement and craftmentship from Senn. Themselves. When I can not afford something, I would never call it out for being expensive, in fact, I admit and admire it if it really deserve it. The orpheous system is one of those that I dare to say Luxury of Luxury.

Anyways, most of Senn stuff is still fairly priced to the present market, and not like Fang.....I remember when hd800 came out, people was like "holy cow....that much for a pair of headphones". So, Senn made the status and still keeping at it, they deserve credit instead.

I appreciate all that, but it is still incredulously over priced, at least from a manufacturing to margins perspective. Hell I fitted a solid marble fireplace in my living room a few months back, and that was literally a fraction of the price for orders of magnitude more marble, hand engraved, detailed to boot. That said, I do love the automation within the Orpheus 2's amp. The way the tubes and buttons extrude once turned on. Definitely not worth the $40,000 premium though lol.

Jan 25, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #349 of 423

I appreciate all that, but it is still incredulously over priced, at least from a manufacturing to margins perspective. Hell I fitted a solid marble fireplace in my living room a few months back, and that was literally a fraction of the price for orders of magnitude more marble, hand engraved, detailed to boot. That said, I do love the automation within the Orpheus 2's amp. The way the tubes and buttons extrude once turned on. Definitely not worth the $40,000 premium though lol.

but..... it's sound soooooooo gooooood

Jan 25, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #350 of 423

Orpheous 2 is a statement pieces, and is not for everyone. It is not meant for mass productions to rip people off. It is for the people who has enough the money and the appreciation of Senn engineering at their summit to make purchase. It has everything uniquely designed, engineered for itself. It is the summit of German engineerings. IMO, shranghila or whatever is not even close....not even blowing a hair on the orpheous 2 from engineering and statement making point of view

Jan 25, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #351 of 423

My arbitrary cut off is £1400 for the time being, and it's nothing to do with a lack of funds preventing me from being able to afford more. As consumers I just think we all need to be frugal about these things, to ensure we maintain a degree of value for money and protection of investments for the long run.

The more of us there are that are willing to spend absurd amounts of money for less and less product, the more manufacturers and new models there will be that have worse price to performance ratios. At the end of the day, it's actually the consumers who ultimately dictate the pricing, with respect to supply and demand. If a headphone releases at a really high price and sells poorly, chances are the manufacturer will reconsider pricing on their next few releases. If however, their absurdly priced product is really popular, of course their next release is going to be more likely to be equally absurdly priced. 

Having compared so many cans, I really do feel that after a certain point all you're paying for at the higher end is alternative subjective differences, not objective improvements. I haven't seen or read anything about the more expensive cans like the Edition 6's, LCD4's or Utopias that make me think they're actually genuinely worth anywhere near the asking prices, at least not from a manufacturing and production value proposition perspective (taking emotion and subjectivity out of the equation), though I appreciate others will have differing opinions. 

I think most audio is subjective anyway.  Sure, between a pair of Apple iBuds and beats compared to an Oppo, you're going to see a pretty sizeable difference.  Once you get above, say, $1k though, I have to wonder how much better one can be than the other.  

Just like many things, when you get to the top of the line, you're paying for tiny fractions of a % point.  You're also paying a hefty amount for white glove service and the prestige of owning a pinnacle of production.

Quote:

Engineering and research are far more expensive to pay for than raw materials, though, in many cases.  Consider how much Sennheiser paid their labor to design something like that from the ground up.  People have been fitting marble fireplaces for centuries -- but I bet if you count the amount of time it took to research the first people who built a marble fireplace and make it a replicable process, you'd be talking millions of dollars of experimentation in modern currency.

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #352 of 423

"But"...lol I hope you are kidding.

Think of the difference $40,000 could make to someones life...

be sensible man!
redface.gif

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #353 of 423

"But"...lol I hope you are kidding.

Think of the difference $40,000 could make to someones life...

be sensible man!
redface.gif

hahaha i never heard orpheus 2. i did listened first orpheus. not a fans.i can't really justified its price. but for some people it probably sound soooo gooood so maybe the sound itself could justified the price

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #354 of 423

My first M3 was a 1995 Dakar USA spec coupe.

Now I have a 1995 Euro Spec Sedan

Those 95's I believe were the most in demand. Euro spec that is. I believe due to engine management system being easier to work with for swaps. I was at one time very hungry to drop a euro spec 95 m3/m5 motor into e30 shell. I ended up doing inline 6 (3.0) + 5 spd (dogleg Getrag) into a 190e 2.3-16 shell. Though I did acquire 3.6L motor, the electronics were too complex and labor too much $$$. Nonetheless if I were to have my pic with e36, i would go with a 95' as well.

To be fair, Fang did mention the topology technology or nano technology on the 11mm?! diapraghm. I think when he said "because it sounds so good" was his attempt at sounding like one of those informercial folk selling the product. But b/c of his tone (which i doubt is always accurate in terms of his intention), it was taken as it was taken.

I think he said "becuase it sounds so good." blah blah blah .... nanotechnology ... R&D laborious, tedious, costly process, etc.

happy_face1.gif

Why? The Z1Rs are better headphones to my ears.

Show me your ears!

Well that is a strong statement. How much better and better where?:p

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #355 of 423

hahaha i never heard orpheus 2. i did listened first orpheus. not a fans.i can't really justified its price. but for some people it probably sound soooo gooood so maybe the sound itself could justified the price

"HD800 is nature ,the sound have no color.,then, it has a great different with SONY QUALIA010 and SA5000.because, QUALIA010 and SA5000 also have no colour, but they are cool like a robot, they have no heart and emotion, But HD800,like K702,DT880,have emotion. So, it is bad for you to listen to the music with 010 and SA5000, you will feel the robot is singing, not person. the Orpheus is nature, and have warmth, it has the ability that even if a dull CD, you will feel excellent though listening to Orpheus 。Orpheus can endow every music with life! Like GOD! LISTEN to Orpheus,I can not help weeping and crying. But listen to HD800, I will not." - ATHFANe

sounds like a bargain the way he described it. Looks like he's crying in joy, or had a bad dinner.

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #356 of 423
Well i've not heard it yet but $40,000...really Sennheiser?!!

I don't even know why we even include the Orpheus 2 in our discussions on Head-Fi.

I'll bet even non-audiophile millionaires would consider it a waste of money.

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #357 of 423

I don't even know why we even include the Orpheus 2 in our discussions on Head-Fi.

Well there should always be something higher to aim for :p

And thanks to Hifiman and Senny, there are 2 to acquire for the hardcore on here

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #358 of 423

It's actually $55,000. My $40,000 quote was after deducting what I assumed would be the cost of the headphones alone, plus any material costs in manufacturing. On the subject of cars, specifically BMW M models, ironically the Orpheus 2 costs more than a brand new BMW M2, which is what many regard as the best M car BMW have made in decades.

How's that for value for money.

So to clarify, you could buy this....

For $3,000 less than the cost of this...

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #359 of 423

Well there should always be something higher to aim for :p

And thanks to Hifiman and Senny, there are 2 to acquire for the hardcore on here

Ah well..

Some people might hear the Orpheus and prefer Beats...

That sounds absurd but sound quality is so subjective that it's a possibillity.

I'm just being brutally honest.

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #360 of 423

Ah well..

Some people might hear the Orpheus and prefer Beats...

That sounds absurd but sound quality is so subjective that it's a possibillity.

I'm just being brutally honest.

I thought its powers to make that guy do what he did to hear them was well ... there are no words

That pic says a lot about the madness behind this hobby

evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back