Why are DACs called Source components?
Mar 23, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #31 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A digital file can come from a variety of methods. All have to convert to an analog signal to be heard.

I think this is the reason behind the categorization of a DAC as a source. All digital files have to be converted into analog signals before they can be audible through speakers. So, although the actual information is coming from the digital device that spews digital data, my headphones are getting the audio from the DAC.

EDIT:
This post actually got me thinking about the DAC. Most CD players, MP3 players, and PC motherboards have DAC technology on-board so as to produce audio. My concern is why an external DAC is used - isn't the signal going into the external DAC already in analog form?

Mar 23, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #32 of 34
NO absolutely not; the dac (external or not) receives digital audio via spdif (optical or coax) USB, firewire, internally in the computer or other transport, or via some direct proprietary link. it is then processed into analogue audio there at the dac chip, then its passed onto the amplifier to provided the drive/current to run headphones or speakers

Mar 23, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #33 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallensky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This post actually got me thinking about the DAC. Most CD players, MP3 players, and PC motherboards have DAC technology on-board so as to produce audio. My concern is why an external DAC is used - isn't the signal going into the external DAC already in analog form?

For the same reason we use dedicated amplifiers over the built in ones, ...
The ability to buy higher quality components, match system, flexibility, and much more.

When using an external DAC the internal (built in one) is not used. The digital signal it bypassed and sent straight to the external DAC.

Mar 24, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #34 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the same reason we use dedicated amplifiers over the built in ones, ...
The ability to buy higher quality components, match system, flexibility, and much more.

When using an external DAC the internal (built in one) is not used. The digital signal it bypassed and sent straight to the external DAC.

excactly; also another bonus of using external components is that we can to a large extent reduce the EMI that exists inside your computer; allowing much quieter operation by being physically outside that environment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back