Why android device sound is so bad .....?
Nov 19, 2014 at 3:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Choosy

Formerly known as terriblenewby
Hi Everybody

I'm an Apple audio fanatic from the moment I abandoned Sony walkman for the first Ipod.

For starage reason I would like to have a better option than buy a 128GB Ipad (which is sounding better on my opinion than other apple devices) and use a common Android device for long long listening sessions.

I have had a Galaxy S3 EU so the one with burr brown DAC and a Galaxy note 3 ... I found them both too scarce even with reccomended Mods (the songs are the same one I have in the Mac and Ipad since years)

I'm also scared from a dedicated tool such fiio player or Ibasso and a portable AMP Dac (I have some portable AMP but they affecting quality offering  a louder volume for listening and no more) , they would be good but ... I'm pretty bored from the idea to bring with me another dedicated component ... My office bag is now carried with Ipad, Kindle, Headphones ..... (more then one) and other stuff.

Also scared to re-charge the whole portable sources everey day .,,,

Anyhow I need your assist to focus on where the issue is! (it would includes my ears :) ) .. It would be maybe the SW ... the operative system ... settings ....Internal phone DAC (so I can solve with a small DAC like Audioquest  Dragonlfly)

I do not want burn huge money (more) and tired from these experimented I was thinking to buy another Ipad now 128 GB sized ... In the other hand I was looking for someone with is suggesting to stop myself and look towards a different perspective

Any suggestion is welcome

Kind regards

Choosy 

Nov 19, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #2 of 9
I'm surprised you would say that an external dac/amp has a negative effect on the sound quality. That has not been my experience - unless the headphones being used have a low impedance and high sensitivity, which can cause the amp to clip & distort. I suspect you would never be happy with a non-Apple player. How about getting some external storage for your Apple device?
http://www.iogear.com/product/GWFRSDU/?ClickID=cika7qvsqqqzslpxsxw7ax7nqneqpnxppzxz

Nov 19, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #3 of 9
The DAC inside the European Note 3 is indeed garbage. I bought a Fiio E18 to side-step this and the sound is fantastic. The DAC in the North American Note 3 is much better, although probably still not as good as a dedicated off-board unit.

Nov 19, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #5 of 9
Hi , thanks for commenta !

I have used and i still have a pair of cmoy portable Amps. I found them interetsting ... .! Louder sound and with bose even a great dynamic ... Just no effect with Grado 225 Than make volume higher and negatively affecting sennhaiser Momentum

I have had also an Ibasso d12 but i used it Just with Grado .... And 225 was also not so editing indeed, too absents in lower area. Result I have sold first the i basso thinking it was the guilty then Grado

I would say quality sound means : Details! And passion Cmoy affecting details on my Opinion and the UD 110 I bought Is again too insisting over higher frequencies ... I suspect if I connect Samsung to a wooaudio things would be better

Looking for something warmer, Fiio e18 is not a bad idea, unsure if it so warm I'm expecting , and even I basso Dx 90 (Sabre in everywhere ) .... And Ifi idsd too but there Are a huge of option ... Just all of them are big and I would like to listen them prior I buy.

Finally is there a mobile sounding in a decent way without extra toys ? And foundamentally if ill be obliged to buy a tool what would be the best considering price and quality?

Thanks a lot

Nov 19, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #6 of 9
To be honest I gave up with the idea of the Note 3 as a source. It sounded great when paired with the E18 but the resulting brick was just too big for me to consider it truly portable. In the end I bought a Sansa Clip+ and I'm happy with that. I am also of the opinion that the circuitry within a phone doesn't exactly create the ideal environment for hi-fi sound. YMMV. Good luck.

Nov 20, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #7 of 9
Hi Zorrofox

I have had your same impression feeling and concerns ...up today the only 2 platform I found good to listen digital music was I devices and Volumio on Raspberry .... I cannot say the rest is crappy but if considering usability ... Cost and side benefits ...still wondering if real alternatives

Maybe someone in the forum is experienced with other mobile brand .... Maybe Sony z3 sounds slightly better than Samsung ..... (It's just not totally a case I mention Sony becouse they seems to have acquired a renewed interest in mobile audio after the dead Of Ipod)

the last aspects are these new microDACs like audio quest dragonfly or the new UD 120, enough small to be portable ...even not the best in term of confort

Note just a question mark about Sanza+ which is the biggest size of memory card it is capable to host ? 32gb or 64 ?

Cheers and good morning

Nov 20, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #8 of 9
I have a 64GB card in my Sansa Clip+ and I believe others have used 128GB successfully. If you go down the Sansa route I'd recommend installing the Rockbox firmware. It works very well. Have a look here...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/479437/sansaclip-rockbox-impressions-thread

Nov 24, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #9 of 9
Hi There ! 

I have had a revelation ...

The issue is not Android ... the issue was caused from damn mobiles i have had until now!

Sony .... sounds ... I would say is not a miracle listening but is pretty good in mobility !

I have under my hands an M2 which is also not the best one ... but it works!

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back