Originally Posted by CrazyRay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get out while you can!!
Sorry for your wallet!!!

emptywallet1kg7.jpg

ph34r.gif

Jan 13, 2009 at 10:48 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depending on which CMOY you are talking about. I'd suggest an 18V (2 9V batts) and OPA2134PA setup. ER-4P itself does not require external amplification to sound good. But they do improve subtly with extra juice from external amps. Since you are going the amp path, may as well switch to ER-4S (with a P>S adapter). ER-4S will benefit termendously with amplification. The idea is simple, more current = better sound reproduction, it's a proven sound science. And on top of that, I'd recommend that you amplify Line-Out instead of headphone out. I am not sure if iRiver E10 have Line Out

If you have dough to spare, allow me to urge you to buy a used Xin SuperMini-IV or a MiniBox-E+ for your Ety
evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif
better do it now and save your money on upgraditis which tend to follow once you hang around here long enough.....

LAst time I used 18v on my cmoy amp that I made and it was just too overpowering. It gave the bass way too much power and it tried to rattle my headphones apart. I brought it down to just one 9v battery and everything turned out gravy.

Jan 15, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is my share of opinion on this subject: here.

good read. However, I own Westone 3s. Would you say a good amp (p51) if not entirely worth it, might at least be a clear and distinct improvement?

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by thatguyoverthere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
good read. However, I own Westone 3s. Would you say a good amp (p51) if not entirely worth it, might at least be a clear and distinct improvement?

Amp, especially a good amp, almost always make music sounds better than unamped (unless there is synergy issue). The question is, do you have a rig good enough than amp is the next logical upgrade? Obviously, if you are either listening to your music on a lousy headphone out and there is no line-out, all your music is 128kbps mp3, or don't bother to carry amp around, than I would recommend you to look into those other aspects of you setup first before getting yourself an expensive amp. Of course, there is still no guarantee that you will have more enjoyment after you put in an amp cause that is all subjective.

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amp, especially a good amp, almost always make music sounds better than unamped (unless there is synergy issue). The question is, do you have a rig good enough than amp is the next logical upgrade? Obviously, if you are either listening to your music on a lousy headphone out and there is no line-out, all your music is 128kbps mp3, or don't bother to carry amp around, than I would recommend you to look into those other aspects of you setup first before getting yourself an expensive amp. Of course, there is still no guarantee that you will have more enjoyment after you put in an amp cause that is all subjective.

Yes, I know that. I have an iPod classic, Westone 3 IEMs, and a large collection of lossless music. I'm asking if, with that, you think I should purchase a Mustang P51 amp.

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyRay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don’t get how smoking is COOL or FUN?
Please explain.

^^Exactly^^

I was going to ask the very same thing.

Maybe LeftyGorilla is from France?
wink.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #23 of 29
I don't know much about electronics. but to my untrained years, with sleek SA6, IPOD line out + predator simply blow away IPOD eadphone out. Like some members here, I found SA6 cannot yield enough resolution when the music is fast. This problem is very obvious with IPOD headphone out, but with predator, SA6 sound just wonderful.

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #24 of 29
hey for my 1 year stay here at head-fi, i still to this day do not know what imepedence is or what it does if it does anything for that matter. if anyone can tell me what it does, that would be excellent, i have image x10's as u can see in my rig and i found out that it has an impedence of 50. what does that mean? do i need amp? should i get amp? i already own a fiio e5 for the clip feature and i guess the bassboost on it. but yea, with iems like the x10's, do u need/want amp?

Jan 16, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #25 of 29
I would say the "fun" all depends on what you're smoking...
beerchug.gif

As far as impedance - here's a very simplistic explanation from Crutchfield that may not be exactly technically accurate, but it's fairly practical for choosing headphones for an ipod:
Headphones Glossary

Jan 16, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #26 of 29
I have iriver clix2 and have just bought a pair of shure se310 iem.do you think I should buy ana amp or it will be enough for me to listen as well?

(I havent got the headphones yet.they are still on shipping,Its a long one from us to Turkey,thats why I am asking in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's funny because my 5G ipod's headphone jack just broke and they don't do repairs or anything (********) so I was gonna "recycle" it to them and get 10% off a 16GB ipod touch. So apparently that's a good thing afterall.

Sorry, off topic, but I've had good luck with:

iPod Nano Parts & Other iPod Parts | iPod Repair

Good luck!

Jan 16, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #28 of 29
Amps provide extra power to the headphones along with other things like improving soundstage/clarity/bass.. etc.

The main thing to think about though is: am I going to benefit from this 200+ purchase towards my setup?

If you have headphones that aren't going to benefit, you are going to be wasting money until you get some good cans to use the amp with.

If you don't have the right cables and the wrong player: IE: 1G Touch with HP out, then you are going to be losing out a little there also.

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #29 of 29
JMT 391, for what its worth i read nearly a year ago that the new ipods/nono have counteracted any imod modifications due to new circuitry, the same reviewer in (what hi fi sound and vision magazine) went on to describe the sound of the latest apple products to be better than ever, in other words with good headphones, you might obtain premium sound without an ancillary amp, notwithstanding all that a good portable amp will give better r
happy_face1.gif
esults,ed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back