Why am I having cold feet about a source upgrade?
May 29, 2006 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

replytoken

500+ Head-Fier
I have been busy as a beaver and wanted to find a few moments to write up my impressions about my two month old Mapletree Audio EAR++, but it may have to wait a bit longer while I work out my thoughts on a source upgrade. I purchased a Sony CE-595 back in December as what I thought would be a temporary solution to a source upgrade. I was interested in the Rega Apollo, but wanted to wait until they got the bugs out of it (I grew up in Detroit and I never bought a car the first year a new model was released). Alternately, I considered sending the Sony to Tube Research Labs (TRL) for modification because they have a good reputation, the price was not unreasonable ($550), and they were within a days drive if I wanted to deliver the unit myself.

In the mean time, I switched out my amp for a Rega Mira3, and I added the MAD EAR++ as a headphone amp and pre-amp. The EAR has been a wonderful headphone amp (and I hope to write about that sometime in the near future), but its pre-amp duties have been mixed. I would say that I like the sound better than the Mira3's pre-amp section, but the EAR++ does have a high noise floor that required a pair of Endler Attenuators to help tame the problem. All of these pieces are being front-ended by Sennheiser HD-600's and a pair of Rega Jura loudspeakers that are about two years old. While I am not a person prone to upgraditis, these changes were updating a system that had seen almost no change in over ten years, and in some cases as much as 25 years.

So, back to the source issue. I talked with Paul at TRL this weekend and the price for modifications went up by $200 since we last talked. However, Paul was willing to honor the old price, and he happened to be in town this weekend on business. If I can reach Paul before he leaves, I can meet him and send the unit back for modification at the old price. My biggest issue is worrying that I will not be able to hear the difference, or worse yet, find it a bad value for the money. These comments are not directed at the work of TRL, but at my inability at times to hear differences in sources.

I tried to upgrade my source two years ago, and this lead to a complete overhaul of my system because I could not tell the difference, or could not tell much of a difference, between my old source (an old Yamaha CDP) and a Rega Planet 2000. So, now I have new speakers and a new amp, but I am wondering what CDP will be best suited to my system, and not under perform, nor over perform. If I buy locally, I can try before buying, like I did two years ago.

To be truthful, it is causing me to question my whole system, and has me wondering if the loudspeakers were an improvement, but are now really my weak link. My local Rega dealer disagrees, and thinks I should just buy a Naim CDP! I really want to get off of this upgrade track, but I feel that I am not at a place where I am not fighting my system to make music. The system does not sound bad, but I somehow feel that it can sound better. Unfortunately, I have spent a chunk of funds over the past few years, and I would like to limit my flow of funds.

I know that I do not want a DAC (bad WAF), nor do I want equipment imported and warranted by somebody twelve time zones away from where I live. I need good sound, but I need convenience as well with respect to support. My original limit for the CDP was $1K, but I do not want to be churning CDP's. So, do I take advantage of the offer by TRL and mod the Sony at their old price? Or, do I pass up on the offer and take a step back to figure out how to get some better synergy among the parts that I have?

May 29, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #2 of 6
Personally, the only time I want to upgrade my system is when I'm reading Head-Fi or other internet audio resources. When I'm actually listening to my system, it involves me in the music and thoughts of changing components melt away.

The only thing I dislike about the whole "audiophile" thing is the perpetual call to upgrade...I think it does a huge disservice to music lovers. Not sure if that helps, but just want you to be open to the possibility that the solution to your "problem" could be sitting in your CD collection/audio rack right now.

May 29, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #3 of 6
Trust your instincts.
wink.gif

clarke68 spelled it out exactly right.

May 29, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #4 of 6
I feel I "need" to upgrade my current source but I am kind of leary of being disappointed if it is not a huge increase in sound quality. Currently using a Pioneer DVD player and going to an NAD C542.
I feel that if there is no huge increase in quality then that is money I could have spent on the Grado RS-2s I really want.

May 29, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #5 of 6
I would say that it might be an effective upgrade if the resale value of the Sony goes up concomitantly with the cost of the mods. If you hear no difference between the stock and modded CDP then at least your current rig will not have been compromised sound wise and you will still have the option of selling it on without incurring a loss should you so desire.
I eagerly await your impressions on the EAR++III, I know that for headphone duty I have enjoyed mine tremendously. I am particularly interested in whether or not you have done any tube rolling with it. Sadly it is not getting as much playtime as it deserves as I recently acquired another amp that is beguiling me at the moment.

May 30, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #6 of 6
It's called congitive dissonance. Most people get over it eventually and start just listening to music
basshead.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back