Why am I enjoying my sr60's more than my rs1i's?
Oct 9, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #46 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RS1s do not use the bowl pads. They use the same pads as the SR60/80/125/225/325i/RS2.

What are you talking about? RS1s use bowls just like rs2, 325i, 225, 125 and sr80. As for the new "i" versions. All versions fromm 225 to rs1 use bowls while 125 down to sr60 use comfies.

Are you confused and thinking about bagel pads by any chance?

Oct 9, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #47 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by RagingForces /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The owner of the store stated that the SR-60i specifically came with flat pads, however he was unable to purchase any other Grado headphones with flat pads. If this was outdated information, I do apologize but I was quite specific in my questions of the owner.

EDIT: Looking at the grado website doesn't offer me any reassurance here. I can't tell from the website whether any of the models are offered in only bowl or flat pads. You would think this would be obvious considering the sonic and comfort impact.

Grado doesnt put flat pads on any of their headphones anymore. Besides flat pads are $35 on their own. Youre getting one heck of a deal with sr60s coming with flat pads
biggrin.gif

I just want to make sure... what do you mean by flat pads? The one with a hole in the middle right?

HPIM2376.jpg

Oct 10, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #48 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are you talking about? RS1s use bowls just like rs2, 325i, 225, 125 and sr80. As for the new "i" versions. All versions fromm 225 to rs1 use bowls while 125 down to sr60 use comfies.

Are you confused and thinking about bagel pads by any chance?

You are correct, sorry I got the bowls and bagels mixed up. But I still hate the comfies. I think they really kill that forward Grado sound.

Oct 10, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #49 of 67
Comfies kills the annoying lower treble of the grados which is good IMO. Problem is they also take out a lot of the extreme high frequencies which I want intact. Also the sound becomes snappier sounding with the bowls... Thats maybe due to the LF rolloff though compared to the comfies which have more midbass to give a seemingly slower sound.

Oct 10, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #50 of 67
Are flats really not tortuously uncomfortable? They look like they were actually designed to cause extreme pain for the low, low price of $35. Not an idle question, as I am considering ordering a pair.

Oct 10, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #53 of 67
Flats are not a whole lot more comfortable than bowls. I bought bowls because the grados were killing my ears with flats on (came with the SR-60s). I was disappointed with the comfort level of both, but the bowls sound better.

Oct 10, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #54 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are flats really not tortuously uncomfortable? They look like they were actually designed to cause extreme pain for the low, low price of $35. Not an idle question, as I am considering ordering a pair.

get em! they are far more comfortable (obviously that is "to me") and provide the sound that the rs1's were built to provide. to my ear the highs, mids and lows are far better, and more balanced in relation to each other, then with the bowls.

it might be the biggest upgrade to your system that you could make. certainly the biggest for the bucks.

Oct 10, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #55 of 67
flats are amazing with my rs1i. i might prefer the bowls on the sr60 but for anyone wondering flats are without a doubt worth the $30 they cost if you're using them on the higher end models.

also way too many people in this thread are confusing flats with comfies and it's probably causing a lot of additional confusion for the less informed. flats are the ones in the picture a few posts up. comfies are the pads that come with the sr60.

Oct 10, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #56 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by beez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
flats are amazing with my rs1i. i might prefer the bowls on the sr60 but for anyone wondering flats are without a doubt worth the $30 they cost if you're using them on the higher end models.

also way too many people in this thread are confusing flats with comfies and it's probably causing a lot of additional confusion for the less informed. flats are the ones in the picture a few posts up. comfies are the pads that come with the sr60.

Yep, you're right. I for one was confusing flats with comfies. I thought about that after the fact.

Oct 11, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #57 of 67
Thanks for the feedback and encouragement on getting flats everyone. I think I will order a pair. $35 is pretty much nothing compared to the cost of the RS1i itself, so they seem like a nice accessory/option, even if I end up not liking them.

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #58 of 67
I'm sticking with the 414 pads, but there really needs to be a sticky here titled 'Grado Pad Wars'. This is the second thread in a week that has gone from 'A question about Grados' to a succession of people hitting one another on the head with their pad preferences.

Oct 11, 2009 at 9:34 AM Post #60 of 67
flats are more comfortable than bowls, but they will make the RS1i sound muddy and congested. the RS1i is best heard with its stock bowls IMO. flats go better with the vintage model RS1's.

you should give reverse bowls a try instead. reverse bowls will sound kind of like flats but without the muddiness. mids will sound richer and the highs will be a bit rolled off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back