Why am I enjoying my sr60's more than my rs1i's?
Oct 7, 2009 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

gooner26

New Head-Fier
Is there something wrong with my ears! Don't get me wrong the grado rs1i's are great sounding headphones but £700 more than the £100 sr60's? I just can't justify the price. For the record I am using a linn sneaky ds as my source and a Lehmann audio black cube.

Oct 7, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #2 of 67
Obviously you like the SR60 sound signature better than the RS-1's sig. Nothing wrong with that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #3 of 67
Two completely different issues. Cost-justifying the RS1i's: valid point. Many, although they love the sound, don't feel they're worth $700. On the other hand, if you feel that the SR60's simply sound better than the RS1i's--cost considerations aside (as your title implies)--then yeah, I'd say there's something wrong with you
wink_face.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #4 of 67
Hearing damage?
wink_face.gif

In all seriousness, it's a very subjective thing. When considering your tastes, your money and your priorities, you'll have to decide!
atsmile.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #5 of 67
There's no doubt that the rs1i's do sound better than the sr60's it's just when you compare the price gap between the two I would say in terms of value nothing can touch the sr60.

Oct 7, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #6 of 67
If the RS1/2 were perfect I wouldn't have stopped at my goldies.
wink.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #9 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by peli_kan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's probably your wallet talking :')

No, wallet + ears. That's the point. I haven't heard the RS1, but I just know they are not 7 times better -- but they are 7 times the cost.

OP doesn't say the SR60 is objectively better sounding than the RS1 -- but subjectively, price-vs-sound-wise, the SR60 is a better "value."

Oct 7, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #10 of 67
Not that strange, higher resolution monitors can sound pretty crap with poor records and scources.
Guided by voices "Alien Lanes" sound absolutely horrible on my Denon D5000's.
I cannot enjoy this cd over the D5000's (well not on any headphones in fact, this must be played via speakers)

For casual listening to MP3's and stuff my 70 euro ATH M40's are superior in every way, because the differences in recordings are less noticeable than with my D5000's.
The M40's make the best of them.

Oct 7, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #11 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by gooner26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's no doubt that the rs1i's do sound better than the sr60's it's just when you compare the price gap between the two I would say in terms of value nothing can touch the sr60.

I'm a firm believer that nothing can touch the Alessandro MS-1i's. They are the best value for the money, ears up and hands down! Such a wonderful sweet spot. (In my opinion, of course.)
L3000.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #13 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the RS1/2 were perfect I wouldn't have stopped at my goldies.
wink.gif

Thanks for the SR-325 love, moogoob. Yes... I am pretty happy with my silver ones. You're always there to heighten my spirits when pining for a pair of (currently waaaaay out-of-my-budget) RS-1i's!
wink.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #14 of 67
I have heard RS1 for minutes only and I would say the sound difference in compare with SR60 is very minimal to almost similar.

In the end, I would say SR60 are more legendary than the RS1 in the headphone world.
I assume that no other headphone can beat SR60 as of this time.

I love my SR60!

valiente-albums-valiente-album-picture2323-600x400.jpg

Oct 7, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #15 of 67
I just picked up some SR60i's....about 6 years after the original SR60s were my first head-fi step.

I cycled up over the years.....HD505s, HD580s, DT880s, HD650s.
And then cycled down when headphones were banned from work
frown.gif

I then went the IEM path, hoping the boss wouldn't mind.....Marshmallows, Superfi 5.EB, X10s, IE7

Guess what, the headphone ban is now basically ignored. And now I am starting back over with the over-the-head versions
smily_headphones1.gif

Plugged the SR60i in yesterday for the first time, and the old sound came back to me. They are an amazing bargain, no doubt.

But, they are a world behind my IE7s. So I don't see me keeping the SR60i....because a Compass should be on it's way to me soon......so back up the headphone chain I go again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back