why am I apprehensive about buying a BluRay Player?
Jan 12, 2010 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

chud

500+ Head-Fier
i have had a Panny BD60 in my Amazon cart for forever now and i can never follow through and buy it.

it still has a cult following and the price is right. it plays SACD's. and i keep buying BluRay discs as I see them cheap on Slickdeals.

i need you guys to push me over the edge already.

Jan 12, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 44
If you keep buying Blu-Ray disks, then why don't you buy the Panny BD60 already?

Jan 12, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 44
that's the thing. i have the money for the player and i usually impulse buy electronics all the time.

i guess im not convinced ill be wowed or something.

and then there is the PS3 option.

Jan 12, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #4 of 44
For me the ability to stream netflix was an absolute must so i opted for a samsung. I could not be more pleased. Unfortunately no SACD support but for me that was not a need. Just one more thing to consider.

Jan 12, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #5 of 44
I'm waiting to get blu-ray until I absolutely have to. I am perfectly happy with standard DVDs. It's tough to go back when you've had something better, so I'm basically holding off on that day and loving the money I save
smily_headphones1.gif
You may be in the same boat, but some people get pushed over the edge for one reason or another. I won't be the person that does that to you though
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #6 of 44
Either buy a PS3.. so at least then you can play games too.. or go the smart route and just get al your content digitally.. ie from the internet. I refuse to support Blu Ray, especially since now more than ever, it is easy to get HD content from the internet to my tv. Explore your options! THere are many services, you can get too (netflix, etc.) Seriously how long will Blu-Ray last?

Jan 12, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #7 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Postal_Blue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me the ability to stream netflix was an absolute must so i opted for a samsung. I could not be more pleased. Unfortunately no SACD support but for me that was not a need. Just one more thing to consider.

i use my Xbox for Netflix streaming, and honestly, while it's nice for catching up on some older movies that i missed, there isn't that much great On Demand content, in my opinion.

Jan 12, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #8 of 44
For me the move to a bluray player was very little about blurays. I own one because someone bought it for me. My dvd player was crapping out on me and I had been in the market for a reasonable means to stream netflix to my TV. At under $150 the samsung was a no brainer for me.

Jan 12, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #9 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by nwkid178 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Either buy a PS3.. so at least then you can play games too.. or go the smart route and just get al your content digitally.. ie from the internet. I refuse to support Blu Ray, especially since now more than ever, it is easy to get HD content from the internet to my tv. Explore your options! THere are many services, you can get too (netflix, etc.) Seriously how long will Blu-Ray last?

as far as the PS3 goes....it's 3 times the price of the player i am looking at and I have a 360 backlog of games i need to play and the PS3 just doesnt have that many exclusives that I have to have, except for maybe Uncharted. it does seem to be a better all in one type media device though.

i get stuff from online too but i also like the convenience of having the physical media.

why do you question how long Blu Ray will last? just curious.

Jan 12, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #10 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by chud /img/forum/go_quote.gif

why do you question how long Blu Ray will last? just curious.

Download only/streaming media is the [unfortunate] future.

Jan 12, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #11 of 44
I actually have two PS3's...one is my BD player. At the time I bought the second one to just be my BD player, it was comparable in price to the average stand-alone player. Yeah, I'm a little weird like that.

I think for the conceivable future there will be a segment of the consumers who will demand to have a physical copy of what they bought. That's just the way some of us grew up and it's more of an emotional thing rather than a logical one about ease of use on the internet.

I'm assuming you have a high-def video and audio set-up right?

Jan 12, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #13 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Equus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm assuming you have a high-def video and audio set-up right?

im shopping for some replacement speakers, but for all intents and purposes, yes.

Jan 12, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get the BD60. It's an affordable blu-ray player that does a fine job. Sure it's not as fast as some of the more expensive ones but it still looks amazing. I bought one for my parents for Christmas and it looked good.

ha, one other thing is the price. yes, it's a steal right now, but Panasonic just announced its' successor(s) so im wondering if there will be a further price drop soon.

im not always this cheap, i promise.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back