Why all the hate towards ath-m50s ?
Aug 5, 2013 at 12:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

tamir124

New Head-Fier
I bought them because of the hype recently, never had a "good" pair of headphones before,  always used 20$ pairs, but now after reading more about the ath-m50s and recent discussions there is alot of hate towards them, people bringing examples of 30$ headphones that are better, saying they are like beats, I bought them because google found me discussions of 2011 when 90% of the people talked about how great they are, they do sound very good though, but who am I to say I don't know better.
Should I feel bad for purchasing them ? got them for like 120$.

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #2 of 15
You shouldn't feel bad, the M50 is a great starter headphone imo, but there are plenty of new headphones that is on par or better than the M50. 
As of late Audio Technica has been updating their headphones, I'm hoping to see and updated M50 (M50x maybe?) but I doubt they'll do that.

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #3 of 15
Okay thanks :) I'm not really into acoustic music, I guess I'm good ? :)

forgot headphones probably goes like all other tech today, the newer the better, tech updates pretty fast... probably next year ill but another, even better pair I'm in school and works only in the summer.

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:
I bought them because of the hype recently, never had a "good" pair of headphones before,  always used 20$ pairs, but now after reading more about the ath-m50s and recent discussions there is alot of hate towards them, people bringing examples of 30$ headphones that are better, saying they are like beats, I bought them because google found me discussions of 2011 when 90% of the people talked about how great they are, they do sound very good though, but who am I to say I don't know better.
Should I feel bad for purchasing them ? got them for like 120$.

What source(s) do you plug the ATH-M50 into?
DAC and/or Amp used?

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:
Too be honest most of the best headphones in the world are a good 3-5 years and older. Audio doesn't really evolve like say a games machine Or PC. The main thing is that you like them, They have a lot going for them; As i said the only thing i dislike about them is their lack of clarity and detail but other then that I think they are ok.

good to know, the lack of clarity is true though when I compare them to the senhiser hd201 I have. but the ath m50s still sounds better for me :wink:
Quote:
What source(s) do you plug the ATH-M50 into?
DAC and/or Amp used?

umm computer, dunno more than that.

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #6 of 15
The biggest upgrade I found when first getting into head-fi was a dac/amp. Before, I had been running headphones from the headphone out on my laptop and it was horrible. A dac really cleans up the sound signal.

The m-50s are not a bad choice at all, so don't be sad. it's just a lot of people on head-fi have tried them, and since then, moved on towards their preference.

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
  umm computer, dunno more than that.

An Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card might improve the audio quality of the ATH-M50 headphones.
$30 and there is a $10 mail in rebate this month.

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #8 of 15
If you're listening music through a laptop, the m-50s are probably a good choice as you can't get much clarity from the on board soundcard. As previously mentioned you should consider a DAC/amp, or a better soundcard. When I bought my first »good« headphones, the senn's HD558 I only had my laptop and I was very dissapointed in them. Later on, I bought a desktop computer and a soundcard asus D2X and the HD558's sounded like a different and much better headphone.

Aug 5, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #10 of 15
The biggest gripe that I have with the M50s is that they used to be $100. If lucky you could find them for $80. Now, because of the ridiculous hype, their price has spiked up to $160... That's competing with other ~$200 headphones which is an extremely competitive price range.

Aug 5, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
The biggest gripe that I have with the M50s is that they used to be $100. If lucky you could find them for $80. Now, because of the ridiculous hype, their price has spiked up to $160... That's competing with other ~$200 headphones which is an extremely competitive price range.

didn't know about that, it sucks but atleast I  got them close to the original price.

Aug 5, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #12 of 15
It's less about people hating them, and more about people getting fed up with the fanbase that haven't heard any other headphones, claiming that the M50s are the best headphones in existence.

Aug 5, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

They're always on sale at Soundpro's $99 right now!!

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:
It's less about people hating them, and more about people getting fed up with the fanbase that haven't heard any other headphones, claiming that the M50s are the best headphones in existence.

Not true.I had M Audio Q40 ,Senn HD 600 ,HFI-580 , XB 500 ,  but the M50 is on the same level and has better bass and nice 32 Ohm.The only thing that bothered me was some clamp. 

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #15 of 15
M50s are very nice for 100 dollars. My cousin has a pair with dt250 velour pads and they're very comfortable. I use to own a pair of hm5s mentioned here and personally prefer the m50s to them. People who say that 30 dollar headphones are better than them are exaggerating. I personally feel that m50s probably beat out 90 percent of everything in the 100 dollar range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back