Why all the cable haters?
Mar 9, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #376 of 505
Quote:

Originally Posted by yotacowboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know it all, I can't know it all, and nor have I ever claimed to know it all.

Further, it is implausible and impossible for ANYONE to know it all.

So when someone says, "Cables have never, will never and could never make an audible difference to anyone, anywhere, at any time, under any circumstance" - I must ask, how do they know it all? I'm afraid I'm just skeptical. What's worse, is when someone tells me I should just ditch my skepticism and believe someone like James Randi, and that he understands these phenomena better than others. To me, James Randi is just as kooky (read: suspicious) as the Machina Dynamica Teleportation tweak, or the Clever Little Clock...

What you CAN say, with some validity, is that there is a statistically high probability that someone may not hear a difference... which is NOT any sort of conclusive proof, truth, or 'scientifically accepted' fact. Otherwise, you're providing JUST a subjective evaluation of some (hopefully) objective data - your honest opinion.

EVEN FURTHER, to equate some objective data value (R, C, N?), or a specific statistical relevance to a population as the sole indicator of a monetary/economic value is flawed as well. In short, the issue is MUCH more complex, and to say that some measurement should 'rule' the value of an audio cable is a reductionist attempt to limit the amount to information which may be relevant.

As well, to claim that ANYONE and EVERYONE who is involved or even potentially involved with an economic exploit which is not "backed-up" or "proven" by both "sound science" and "statistical relevance" is a snake-oil salesman is equally reductionist, and limits the amount of information which may be relevant to this discussion.

I can substitute a few words there, and will be valid as well, but in a different approach...lets' see:

I don't know it all, I can't know it all, and nor have I ever claimed to know it all.

In your case maybe is not applicable but I could mention other which attitude is really arrogant that do believe they are always right.

Further, it is implausible and impossible for ANYONE to know it all.

We all know that, but they are so full of themselves sometimes that their attitude shows all the opposite...

So when someone says, "Cables have, will and could make an audible difference to anyone, anywhere, at any time, under any circumstance" - I must ask, how do they know it all? I'm afraid I'm just skeptical. What's worse, is when someone tells me I should just ditch my skepticism and believe someone like James Randi, and that he understands these phenomena better than others. To me, James Randi is just as kooky (read: suspicious) as the Machina Dynamica Teleportation tweak, or the Clever Little Clock...
What you CAN say, with some validity, is that there is a statistically low probability that someone may hear a difference...which is NOT any sort of conclusive proof, truth, or 'scientifically accepted' fact. Otherwise, you're providing JUST a subjective evaluation of some (hopefully) objective data - your honest opinion.

As indeed there should be less people able to hear those differences, as according to their arguments, you need a very good system, trained ears, the cables of course, and a golden ear to hear them, four conditions that must of the times are not together for the majority of us...see how it is a matter of seen the glass half full or half empty...BTW I do not like Randy approach neither, and I never said he knows it all, he is far from that OK?...I just mentioned the deal he made, which they did refused, not sure afraid of what, or why, as they were risking nothing, in comparison to a million bucks.

EVEN FURTHER, to equate some objective data value (R, C, N?), or a specific statistical relevance to a population as the sole indicator of a monetary/economic value is flawed as well. In short, the issue is MUCH more complex, and to say that some measurement should 'rule' the value of an audio cable is a reductionist attempt to limit the amount to information which may be relevant.

The monetary economic value is completely based only in the common sense, if you have it, bingo, but some of them simply lack of it IMO, there is no way in earth that my common sense will let me ditch $7000.00 on a pair of cables, if that will deprive me of the full enjoyment, so be it, will you agree or not? If you don't, please we have no further to discuss...

As well, to claim that ANYONE and EVERYONE who is involved or even potentially involved with an economic exploit which is not "backed-up" or "proven" by both "sound science" and "statistical relevance" is a snake-oil salesman is equally reductionist, and limits the amount of information which may be relevant to this discussion

The information should be provided by them in the first instance, and even if they do, again, do you agree that is logical to ditch such sums of money even if they prove they cables are the best on earth...could you offer me any kind of argument to make me understand the need of such tags...man it is hard for me to get the money OK? I was born poor, and will die poor, but not dumb...

Mar 9, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #377 of 505
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1 word: subjective

Quote:

Well then, we appreciate your subjective evaluation of goods in an economic value system!

My question to both of you, do you feel that any cable is worth $5000.00?

I want a plain and simple yes or no...maybe we are wasting our time discussing?

And please do not ask me if any amp cost this or that, or if any source cost this or that, or is any heapdhone cost this or that...I just want a simlple yes or no, OK?

Mar 9, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #378 of 505
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I want a plain and simple yes or no...maybe we are wasting our time discussing?

And please do not ask me if any amp cost this or that, or if any source cost this or that, or is any heapdhone cost this or that...I just want a simlple yes or no, OK?

yes. at least 3 reasons.

1) subjective enjoyment - when someone enjoys $5000 cable more than the $500 one

2) economical viability - when someone makes $1,000/hr, its much easier and cheaper to just buy the more expensive cable because the $5000 cable is more likely than not better than the $500 cable. (assuming a free market system)

3) subjective worth - when someone feels $5000 cable is worth $5000

The same question can be used to justify or not justify any luxury purchases - [size=large]hi-fi is luxury[/size]. so I really fail to see the point of the question. maybe the objective activist should threadcrap at every BMW thread, every Mount Blanc thread, every Philip Patek thread, every Harry Winston Thread, and etc...etc..etc...

lux·u·ry (lŭg'zhə-rē, lŭk'shə-) pronunciation
n., pl. -ries.
1. Something inessential but conducive to pleasure and comfort.

Mar 9, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #379 of 505
Quote:

To answer this for myself I would say if I had a series of components that all were in the range of 10 grand a piece then I would want to configure my system with what I would think would be the best sounding cables I could find. I would budget 10 grand for cables in this case. For myself I don't consider 10 grand a component realistic but for a few others it may be.

I personally have set a approximate budget limit of 1000$ per component give or take a little. Therefore it would seem reasonable given my view that I would budget up to 1000 for cables. This I have yet to achieve but maybe in the future.

I have heard differences myself in cables.

Mar 9, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #380 of 505
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, Vul, you are just plain wrong.
You are accusing head-fi of being basically a shill operation for sponsors like some of the HiFi magazines.
Head-fi was founded and is maintained by enthusiasts.That's the main reason why it exists, and the business aspects are secondary.
Head-fi is certainly different from the typical european audio related forum you normally frequent.Those are dominated by objectivists to such an extent that I'm perceived there as being hopelessly subjective whereas here I'm perceived as being member of team sceptic.
It's certainly a vastly different culture, but it doesn't mean it's a conspiracy.

No one prevents you from posting unfavorable impressions of for instance Corda amps as long as you keep the criticism civil although Jan Meier is a long standing sponsor.I think this doesn't fit into your conspiracy theory.

I don't think or say it's some kind of conspiracy.

After all, it's about profitability, advertising revenues and maybe most of all, a matter of aportionments of the majorities whithin the head-fi staff, which is, beyond any doubt, pro esoterics.

The fact that beeing "pro esoteric" pays pure cash, while beeing "sceptic" brings nothing to the register steers the ship in the direction we experience right now, without any need for conspiracy or something like that.

Just take a look at the list to the right of this post and tell me that the cable question has nothing to do with economics.

Mar 9, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #381 of 505
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes. at least 3 reasons.

1) subjective enjoyment - when someone enjoys $5000 cable more than the $500 one

2) economical viability - when someone makes $1,000/hr, its much easier and cheaper to just buy the more expensive cable because the $5000 cable is more likely than not better than the $500 cable. (assuming a free market system)

3) subjective worth - when someone feels $5000 cable is worth $5000

I least I found one of my answers, we both do not have any further to discuss regarding cables...end of the argument...

BTW I know a couple of literally millionaires, theo wner fo the company I work for, and a couple more, millionaires, and they do not make $1000.00 an hour, less alone to spend $1000.00 on cables....

FYI $1000.00 an hour is like 2,16 millions a year, how many of you make that amount please?

Mar 9, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #382 of 505
Quote:

The monetary economic value is completely based only in the common sense, if you have it, bingo, but some of them simply lack of it IMO, there is no way in earth that my common sense will let me ditch $7000.00 on a pair of cables, if that will deprive me of the full enjoyment, so be it, will you agree or not? If you don't, please we have no further to discuss...

The information should be provided by them in the first instance, and even if they do, again, do you agree that is logical to ditch such sums of money even if they prove they cables are the best on earth...could you offer me any kind of argument to make me understand the need of such tags...man it is hard for me to get the money OK? I was born poor, and will die poor, but not dumb...

"Common sense" is a relativistic understanding of another's opinion... again, it's JUST your subjective evaluation of some finite data/information. Now, whether or not I think it's "worth it" to buy a set of $7,000 cables depends on things that you and I may or may not agree upon, but don't mistake that for "common sense". We may share an opinion - but how we came to that opinion, and whether our opinions are open to change is (again) intrinsically individual.

So in short, I have no idea if its "common sense" or not to ditch $7000 on a pair of cables. It's your money!

For me to make any hasty generalization about expensive cables (aside from the fact that they are indeed relatively expensive compared to my income and budget for any audio component), would be silly. I will say, I'd love to hear 'em!

Mar 9, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #383 of 505
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So your interest in this thread is totally off topic and you have no interest in the thread subject? The essential issue is do cables make a difference not why people hate. It it is about hate and those that hate cables then this subject should be moved to the members forum where almost anything goes that is not about equipment.

The thread title may support what you noted but the original OP post supports a real question about whether cables do make a difference.

If you don't want to address this paper here then I invite you to open another thread to discuss it.

Note that in the post where I pointed this paper out your original note quoted stated that there was little objective data concerning cable differences. This paper addresses the mathematics behind cable design beyond simple circuit design lump mass type techniques. This directly contradicts your initial statement that I was addressing.

Frustrating isn't it? This is the same type of thing believers are going through.

If someone compares cable A and Cable B, I could argue that the essential issue that should be answered first is whether cables make a difference. So please stop derailing this thread with your thread crapping.

Mar 9, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #384 of 505
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To answer this for myself I would say if I had a series of components that all were in the range of 10 grand a piece then I would want to configure my system with what I would think would be the best sounding cables I could find. I would budget 10 grand for cables in this case. For myself I don't consider 10 grand a component realistic but for a few others it may be.

I personally have set a approximate budget limit of 1000$ per component give or take a little. Therefore it would seem reasonable given my view that I would budget up to 1000 for cables. This I have yet to achieve but maybe in the future.

I have heard differences myself in cables.

My gear is also around $1000.00, some more and some less, per piece and honestly after trying a few cables, I can conclude that I personally do not need to spend $1000.00 in any cable to be 100% happy here....I would rather spend $1000.00 in new music...

Mar 9, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #386 of 505
Quote:

"Common sense" is a relativistic understanding of another's opinion... again, it's JUST your subjective evaluation of some finite data/information. Now, whether or not I think it's "worth it" to buy a set of $7,000 cables depends on things that you and I may or may not agree upon, but don't mistake that for "common sense". We may share an opinion - but how we came to that opinion, and whether our opinions are open to change is (again) intrinsically individual.

So in short, I have no idea if its "common sense" or not to ditch $7000 on a pair of cables. It's your money!

For me to make any hasty generalization about expensive cables (aside from the fact that they are indeed relatively expensive compared to my income and budget for any audio component), would be silly. I will say, I'd love to hear 'em!

We all know that comon sense is a relative topic, that is why jail exist, rapists exist, and honest people exist, we all have different views of the same world, based in education, instruction, family moral, etc...

BTW I did not asked if you believe that a cable is $7000.00 for me, I know that for me is not, but I want to know if for you it is?

So resuming is that a yes or a no? Again for you, given the conditions you have right now...

Mar 9, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #387 of 505
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vul Kuolun
Repeating the at least exaggerated accusations doesn't make them more credible. Can you give us a few examples, please? If it is such a big problem, it shouldn't be too much work.

In fact, it is a lot of work. Why, because although you are unable to see them, we have spent way too much of our time deleting most of these off-topic, thread-derailing, troll posts so that the discussion could carry on. In some of the more extreme cases, when the thread erupted into a complete flame war and cleaning out all the off topic discussion and arguing became too time consuming or would completely kill the continuity, we've removed the entire thread. So no, you won't find a lot of examples of what I'm talking about because most of the threads I'm talking about have been edited to remove the trolling and off-topic, thread-derailing posts and responses to these posts, but there are plenty of members here who know exactly what I'm talking about and who I'm certain would be willing to verify what I say is the truth.

But here's one example for you that I've taken the time to un-delete a dozen or so posts, to show exactly what I'm talking about. A member has taken a lot of time and effort to write his opinions of various power cords. A large number of members express interest and wish to further discuss the results and share information, then at post #24, in comes the skeptic, once again starting up the never ending argument and derailing the thread...changing it from a discussion about a review of a selection of cables between an interested, like-minded group of members, to another "cables don't/can't possibly make a difference argument. Again, post #24 and many others after it in this thread were previously deleted, but I've restored them in this instance to give you an example. Sorry, but I'm not about to go through dozens of others just like it, where we've attempted to save the thread and keep the discussion on topic by deleting the off topic, derailing posts, just to prove an obvious point to you.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/its-done-power-cord-shoot-out-22-power-cords-reviewed-219202/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vol Kuolon

Your real problem is obvious:
With always at least one thread with 30+replies on the cable-theme on page one, with the "believers camp" constantly not looking too good, the forum cannot fulfil it's marketing purpose for your sponsors. Just as it's no longer able to stabilize the positive suggestions responsible for the perceived differences, which understandable pisses off the pro-cables crowd.
These are the threads that we're really talking about:

Machina dynamica TeleportationTweak long distance audio upgrade
Don't waste your money on high end digital cables
"Surprisingly the Monster Cables performance was outclassed by extension cord."
Monster Cable vs Coat Hanger
My cat tore up my Virtual Dynamics Power 3...
Oh for ****'s sake... "Audiophiles can't tell the difference between Monster Cable and coat hangers"
The Stupidly Ridiculous Cable-of-the-year award goes to....
Is it time to boycott cable companies?

So that's my real problem is it? I see you subscribe to the conspiracy theory. If that was my obvious problem, and we were simply trying to censor skeptics to protect advertisers .... why is it that all these threads you've listed are even here? Why haven't they been removed or "censored", as some people like to accuse us of doing? How will starting a separate skeptics forum, specifically meant to acomodate these exact type of threads, solve this problem ... as you accuse? Where's the censorship there?

I very much resent your insinuation that my previous post was a lie to cover some ulterior motive, when in fact, it was the complete and honest truth. WE WANT TO ALLOW BOTH SIDES TO BE ABLE TO ENJOY DISCUSSIONS THAT INTEREST THEM, AND FOR BOTH SIDES TO BE ABLE TO EXPRESS THEMSELVES AND THEIR OPINIONS/BELIEFS ON THIS CONTENTIOUS ISSUE. AT THE SAME TIME, WE DON'T WANT ONE GROUP SPOILING ANOTHER GROUP'S DISCUSSION AND ENJOYMENT OF THEIR HOBBY BY REGULARLY INTERUPTING THEIR DISCUSSIONS BY CHIMING IN LIKE A BROKEN RECORD TO TELL THEM WHAT THEY BELIEVE IS WRONG.

WHAT CAN BE MORE OPEN OR FAIR THAN THAT?. SKEPTICS ARE NOT BEING CENSORED, THEY WILL BE PREVENTED FROM TROLLING AND RUINING NON-SKEPTIC'S DISCUSSIONS ... AS THEY HAVE BEEN DOING REGULARLY FOR SOME TIME NOW. The "no DBT" rule was originally created in an attempt to prevent this very same thing, but we've realized that that was unfair to the skeptic's side. So we intend to make it fair. BUT THE FACT IS, YOU AND OTHERS WHO SUBSCRIBE TO SUBJECTIVE THINKING, WILL STILL BE ABLE TO MAKE YOUR POINT. AGAIN, WHERE'S THE CENSORSHIP THERE?

I hope this clarifies things for you

Mar 9, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #388 of 505
Caps-Lock key broken much?

I always find it amusing that it's the skeptics that are regarded as trolling when, if the difference is so huge and obvious as people claim, it'd be a simple matter to just do a single double-blind test to scientific standards and shut up all the skeptics. Yet everyone who's tried to do it has failed.

Mar 9, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #390 of 505
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Caps-Lock key broken much?

I always find it amusing that it's the skeptics that are regarded as trolling when, if the difference is so huge and obvious as people claim, it'd be a simple matter to just do a single double-blind test to scientific standards and shut up all the skeptics. Yet everyone who's tried to do it has failed.

And if cables made a real audible difference, there would be something else to discuss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back