Why all that sudden craze bout AD2000?
Sep 12, 2006 at 9:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

razer

500+ Head-Fier
I don't get it...Is this another part of headfi that I've yet to notice? A random headphone gets much attention every few months....

Sep 12, 2006 at 10:28 AM Post #3 of 20
I don't know what's happening but they used to be my favourite cans and I felt that they had great soundstaging till I heard other cans and finally realised that Airy is not to be mixed with soundstage. Somehow, they still sound pleasant but recently, the SA5000 (one of my most hated cans) sort of became my all time favourite now...Strange huh? How one's taste can actually take such a drastic change over such a short period of time...

Sep 12, 2006 at 10:38 AM Post #4 of 20
while looking for a pair of cans to upgrade from my sr-60s i noticed the AD2000 on audiocubes. don't really know all that much about AT cans, but they piqued my interest for about a hour before i was like blah don't really need them.

Sep 12, 2006 at 11:06 AM Post #5 of 20
It took this long for members to save up enough money to afford a pair!

Sep 12, 2006 at 12:45 PM Post #7 of 20
Sudden craze? I feel there's not ENOUGH craze over them. They're awesome and i think the reason why it's not caught on yet is because it's quite hard to audition one. Up till now, a lot of people still have not heard them. To me the SA5K are just too bright and dry but everyone has different ears.

Sep 12, 2006 at 1:02 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by razer
Somehow, they still sound pleasant but recently, the SA5000 (one of my most hated cans) sort of became my all time favourite now...

Traitor! I demand you remove "Team ATOWF" from your signature and replace it with "Team I have no loyalty."

Just kidding, I like the SA5000 too.
tongue.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

... Airy is not to be mixed with soundstage...

Too right, I recall some posts regarding AT's soundstage, and some posts suggested the AD's to have a bigger soundstage than K701, which I found to be rather surprising! In fact I found the ER4S, once you get used to the "in-head" experience, it is close to if not better soundstage than the AD's!
eek.gif

Came across the SA5000 the other day. Nice, but it reminded me of a better balance (bass) ER4S.
etysmile.gif

Sep 12, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Airy is not to be mixed with soundstage.

Very true. Though I only listened to the AD2000 at a meet, that's exactly my impression of it.

Soundstage is not big, And I'd say that it's around the level of the HD595, though I haven't heard my HD595 for a while (it's with my sister right now). Basically, it feels like the sound is coming from right next to my ears.

However, the AD2000 does sound "airy." I felt the effect was similar to using the damper-lifting pedal on pianos, but not as extreme of course. Thus it is my theory that the AD2000 was made a little underdamped to create that effect.

Sep 12, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #12 of 20
Every headphone goes through a "flavor of the month" period. Although the AD2000's have been out for a while, it took time for the hype to build because you can't really audition them and they're pretty expensive. If you look at the other headphones in that price range like the K701, HD650, SA5000, they've all had a period where they were the "cool" headphone. I actually had them months before the hype around here even started. I probably would have sold them off too if I hadn't tried the "extra padding" mod. (If you can really call it a mod)

Sep 13, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

I don't know what's happening but they used to be my favourite cans and I felt that they had great soundstaging till I heard other cans and finally realised that Airy is not to be mixed with soundstage. Somehow, they still sound pleasant but recently, the SA5000 (one of my most hated cans) sort of became my all time favourite now...Strange huh? How one's taste can actually take such a drastic change over such a short period of time...

It's true. I sort of hate selling headphones for this reason, but it has to be done
frown.gif

Sep 15, 2006 at 9:06 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
Traitor! I demand you remove "Team ATOWF" from your signature and replace it with "Team I have no loyalty."

Just kidding, I like the SA5000 too.
tongue.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

blink.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

NOO!!! But hey, I guess I'll still be fiddling around with the SA5000 for a while until the next pair of cans become my favourite...The AD2000's had their glory for pretty long and its time for her to have a good rest i think...I've not even had over 50hours on my SA5000....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back