Wht are the symptoms of drivers failling?
Jul 28, 2006 at 2:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

TzeYang

500+ Head-Fier
Okay i admit, i screwed up two days ago.

My new PPA v2 came and i didnt know which way the pot should be adjusted. Without any caution, i assumed the Max volume (anti-clockwise 100%) was Min Volume (should be the other way round
plainface.gif
but i guess i was too excited to tryout the new combo) and you guys would've guessed, the volume got cranked up to an insane volume and i had to throw the HD650 towards my bed and turn off the amp. Holy it was scary! The funny thing is, i'm actually more worried about my HD650 than my Eardrums
mad.gif

Setup used as below:

Sony NW-1000 (Line out) -> PPA v2 (24V, Gain 6) -> HD650

When the HD650 was on my bed around 40cm away from me, i could hear the drivers and the music i was playing. The disaster lasted for below 30 seconds. I was wondering if this will KILL my HD650? Later after being cold turkey for the next 10 hours, i put the HD650 on again (this time the correct way) and everything sounds 100% fine without crackling, bleeding or weird noises and distortions.

Sorry for the long read, but i need you guy's comfort and comfirmation, will this degrade my HD650's sound quality? I mean everything is "working" fine except the negative placebo effect i'm experiencing now, should i worry about the HD650 or just continue enjoy music?

P.S. oh i'm not having tinnitus or any weird eardrums problems, thank god.

Jul 28, 2006 at 8:18 AM Post #3 of 11
Turning the poti anticlockwise makes the PPA louder
blink.gif
?

Jul 28, 2006 at 8:19 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
Since my HD-650 survived this, yours should be alright too.

ah thank you, unfortunately, it's the psychological effect that is hard to go pass. It hurts me dearly knowing that i actually damaged my own 'precious'. (attachment sucks!)

Jul 28, 2006 at 8:22 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen
Turning the poti anticlockwise makes the PPA louder
blink.gif
?

yeah, nothing's wrong with the word, it's anti-clockwise, no joke. I thought it was clockwise initially too!!
frown.gif

Jul 28, 2006 at 9:28 AM Post #8 of 11
Your beloved phones will be absolutely fine

For the next few days you'll probably be sure that it sounds worse, but once you forget about your little incident the sound will go back to normal

I've done a number of stupid things to my phones and they sound as good as ever

(though turning a knob 100% anticlockwise dosn't count as "stupid". Designing it that way does though!)

Jul 28, 2006 at 10:55 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by afobisme
basshead.gif

man, some of us guys are crazy in love with our toys huh (myself included)? seriously, i don't see why women like clothes so much... clothes aren't precious, but toys and gadgets like these definitely are
lambda.gif

I don't blame women loving their clothes (sometimes even more than we men
frown.gif
) i think as long as we feel happy "being attached" to these cans, nothing else really matters.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz
Your beloved phones will be absolutely fine

For the next few days you'll probably be sure that it sounds worse, but once you forget about your little incident the sound will go back to normal

I've done a number of stupid things to my phones and they sound as good as ever

(though turning a knob 100% anticlockwise dosn't count as "stupid". Designing it that way does though!)

I'm going to run a few tests with my favourite songs again tonight, hopefully no distortions or silly sounds
frown.gif

Wish me luck guys !

EDIT: The pot was designed by thedoctor, a very well respected forumer here who always lurks around the DIY section. He could have told me earlier or at least etch a "min" and "max" beside the pot on the case.

Jul 28, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by TzeYang
I don't blame women loving their clothes (sometimes even more than we men
frown.gif
) i think as long as we feel happy "being attached" to these cans, nothing else really matters.
biggrin.gif

I'm going to run a few tests with my favourite songs again tonight, hopefully no distortions or silly sounds
frown.gif

Wish me luck guys !

EDIT: The pot was designed by thedoctor, a very well respected forumer here who always lurks around the DIY section. He could have told me earlier or at least etch a "min" and "max" beside the pot on the case.

Try and put your cans away after usage every single sitting..there is no way to damage them if they are not hooked up, and are hidden from ignorant non headphone people.

To that girl, what a dummy..she did not even seem sorry..
how typical..

Anyway, I had a similar scare recently with my Grado headphones...I was reprogramming my learning Rotel remote, and was earlier trying to program the volume up button...so the pot was 3/4 of the way up on the Rotel Preamp
eek.gif
, and then was programming the play button again in CD Player mode like a smart guy..and OH'p...it started playing louder than ever track one on Spongle 3 (large gong in the beginning of the CD), only for a few seconds but it was ugly...hopefully all is ok, they seem fine and tested them a lot afterwards and the following day..but is a sure thing to scare a headfi guy like me...man
blink.gif

Jul 28, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by TzeYang
yeah, nothing's wrong with the word, it's anti-clockwise, no joke. I thought it was clockwise initially too!!
frown.gif

I had this too. I opened the case and turned the frontplate upside down (it is loose). That way it fits too and then the volume knob goes the right way. And the screws on the "lid" are on the bottom then too. Works better and looks better for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back