Who's your least favorite musical artist?
Jul 16, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #886 of 1,005

Quote:
years ago, I think it was Sting, who had a song named "Radio Goo-Goo, Radio Gaa-Gaa". 

Not quite - it was Queen "Radio Ga Ga" 
wink.gif

Jul 16, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #888 of 1,005
Yeah - I got that - was just helping you out.  Well and truly from my era.  Was a sad day when Freddie passed on ......

Jul 16, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #890 of 1,005

Quote:
Justin Beiber is for twelve and thirteen year old girls so he doesn't bother me at all. We can't expect, and shouldn't expect, children to listen to and appreciate John Lennon or Brian Wilson, for example.

Thats the thing, 12 and 13 year olds CAN understand music with deep lyrics, in fact, I'm only 14 and I listen to artists like Immortal Technique and Dead Prez. 

Jul 17, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #891 of 1,005

Quote:

Thats the thing, 12 and 13 year olds CAN understand music with deep lyrics, in fact, I'm only 14 and I listen to artists like Immortal Technique and Dead Prez. 

So you are saying that they are too lazy to understand and appreciate music with deep lyrics. 

Jul 17, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #892 of 1,005
My most hated artist in genres I even listen to is Nickleback.  Several reasons.  First, because I simply don't like them.  Second, because they consciously released the same hit song twice by just tweaking the lyrics and structure slightly.  (This is documented).  I think that was very dishonest and an affront to their fans, though admittedly the success of that was a commentary on the fans as much as the band.  Third, because I worked local crew for one of their shows and they are complete azzholes.  (I was on a light crew for 15 years, and learned that most famous people are either very wonderful to be around or very much not.  There's not much middle ground.  But Nickleback took the cake.  The dark half of the cake.)

So anyhow, thanks for the opportunity to vent.  Sorry if this was a duplicate vote (and surprised if it wasn't); I didn't read all 60 pages of the thread.

Jul 17, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #893 of 1,005

Quote:
years ago, I think it was Sting, who had a song named "Radio Goo-Goo, Radio Gaa-Gaa". 

You're probably thinking of De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da, which was by The Police, of which Sting was the lead singer.

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #894 of 1,005

Quote:
So you are saying that they are too lazy to understand and appreciate music with deep lyrics. 

I have met a lot people who are too lazy to understand music with deep lyrics, my best friend would be one of them, but most people probably never even heard of good music with deep lyrics and dismisses all music with decent lyrics as "lame music for boring pessimistic people". The radio plays a very important factor in causing this ignorance, since the radio is controlled by "the big four" record labels and all the music they are trying to sell has no lyrics at all. Mainstream hip hop would be a very good example, listen to any hip hop song on itunes and all you hear is :" I have a lot money and have sex with a lot of honeys". The media have pushed the mainstream image upon the teenagers and made them believe that they are nothing without money or fame, aka a nobody. I once met a kid my own age who thought about suicide because he was rejected by a girl that he liked because he thought it was because he was ugly. this just shows that how problematic the mainstream media have become.

Jul 18, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #895 of 1,005

Quote:
My most hated artist in genres I even listen to is Nickleback.  Several reasons.  First, because I simply don't like them.  Second, because they consciously released the same hit song twice by just tweaking the lyrics and structure slightly.  (This is documented).  I think that was very dishonest and an affront to their fans, though admittedly the success of that was a commentary on the fans as much as the band.  Third, because I worked local crew for one of their shows and they are complete azzholes.  (I was on a light crew for 15 years, and learned that most famous people are either very wonderful to be around or very much not.  There's not much middle ground.  But Nickleback took the cake.  The dark half of the cake.)

So anyhow, thanks for the opportunity to vent.  Sorry if this was a duplicate vote (and surprised if it wasn't); I didn't read all 60 pages of the thread.

4th,
The singer sounds like he's trying to take a dump when he sings.

Jul 18, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #897 of 1,005
Let me put it to you this way. How many 12-13 year olds can read and understand Dickens, Shakespeare, Joseph Conrad, etc. Now, I don't mean to put Brian Wilson, Dylan, etc. on the same plane as those exalted literary figures, but the idea is the same. Most 12-13 year olds I know need to have the nuances of "The Outsiders" explained to them in school. Heck, most 12-13 tweens, at least in the USA, don't read. Don't think so? Then read the scores on national achievement tests. They have little frame of reference. I mean, come on, how many 12 year olds know that waves crashing on a beach can be a symbol of orgasm, depending on the context? They have generally suffered little of life's travails. They might be sufferin', but not like they're going to after mortgage, divorce, death of a child, etc.

I have no idea what kind of "deep lyrics" are in "Immortal Logic" or "DeepPrez".  And I'm not sure I want to know.  I come in contact with a great number of tweens and I can assure you that laziness is like an out of control disease with USA tweens. That and diabetes.
Parallal, if you have made your way to this forum to educate yourself then you are obviously above average in smartness. Congrats.
I also want to make it clear that I don't hate anyone, even Sheryl Crowe.  I just don't like to hear or watch her perform. I am not entertained by her, but that doesn't mean i hate her.  I don't know her and she has never done anything to me......that might be my loss, by the way. I do think she's attractive. I'm just sayin'.

Jul 18, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #898 of 1,005

Quote:
Let me put it to you this way. How many 12-13 year olds can read and understand Dickens, Shakespeare, Joseph Conrad, etc. Now, I don't mean to put Brian Wilson, Dylan, etc. on the same plane as those exalted literary figures, but the idea is the same. Most 12-13 year olds I know need to have the nuances of "The Outsiders" explained to them in school.

what do you mean by "The Outsiders"?

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #899 of 1,005
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Outsiders_%28novel%29

This is a rather well known book that is read by students in most USA middle schools with which I am familiar.  After a number of weeks are taken to read, discuss, and assimilate the book, the Coppola directed movie is then shown. It is a very good book, and so is the movie.  Students invariably like both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back