Who's using the Lavry DA10 ampless?
Mar 13, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #17 of 23
I am using it as my primary unit, no amp. Of course I am feeding it with either my RME Digi96/8 Pad or my iHP-140 into either of my phones. No balanced output here, straight low impedance all the way.

By the way, I suggest you give Bay View Pro Audio a call to see if they have one. That is where I got mine and they ask you on their web site for almost everything to give them an offer. So what does that tell you? So I made an offer. I now have it playing blissfully into my ears.

Mar 16, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
It sounds fantastic with my 650s, 701s and RS1s ... we will see how the K1000s fair in a few days
biggrin.gif

Are you using the 650, 701 and RS1 out of the balanced output with balanced cables?
Could you please develop?

Mar 16, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
Are you using the 650, 701 and RS1 out of the balanced output with balanced cables?
Could you please develop?

Yes, I sure am. They all sound fantastic, even the K1000s sound quite good. I am using female - female XLR adapters with balanced cables I made for the various phones. It is more then an acceptable solution until my balanced M3 is complete. If you have never heard any of those various phones balanced I highly recommend it. They all really sound quite different so it it hard to say if you will enjoy any of those balanced over single-ended. The most drastic headphones I have tried balanced thus far have been the 650s and RS1s.

Mar 16, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #21 of 23
I initally bought the DA10 as a replacement for an Earmax Pro with stock tubes and found it to be much superior.

I admit freely that i am objectivist and my test was noise and and distortion levels which are dramatically lower compared to the Earmax Pro.

I used this test site

http://www.klippel.de/aura/instructions.html

and scored much higher ratings on the Lavry than the Earmax. I mainly use the Lavry with head phones lwatching movies and found that I can now listen at much lower levels and still follow the dialog.

I compared my scores on the Lavry with and without the Earmax and against the Earmax on a Bryston SP1.7. Needless to say I have completely switched over to the Lavry at this point.

In case you want to buy an SP1.7 let me know ..

Cheers

Thomas

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
The most drastic headphones I have tried balanced thus far have been the 650s and RS1s.

This sounds great, although I will probably going to use only the HD650, as I believe to get balanced cables for RS1 or K701 in Europe is very difficult.

I must get some HD650 or 600, the only problem is that I use them 98% at work and am afraid they leak way too much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back