Who's using the Lavry DA10 ampless?
Mar 13, 2006 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

blessingx

HeadFest '07 Graphic Designer
Supplier of fine logos! His visions of Head-Fi
Just curious for those using the DA10 ampless (through balanced XLRs in back or 1/4" in front), what did you compare it to before deciding the output was good enough not to require a separate amp?

Mar 13, 2006 at 4:00 PM Post #2 of 23
I don't. I found the EarMax Pro with telefunken CCa & Ecc801s is better (not roundly) than the internal amp of DA10 for my personal taste.

Mar 13, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 23
The DA10 via XLR outputs is pretty darn nice IMHO. I would take it any day over the PPA, M3, GS1, PPX... and some others I had... I wont "only" be using the DA10 as I have a balanced M3 on the way but I would say the DA10 could easily be a first and last amp (and of corse dac too) for many.

It sounds fantastic with my 650s, 701s and RS1s ... we will see how the K1000s fair in a few days
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #4 of 23
If/when I don't feel like dealing with my tube amp, I just use my Lavry and yes it plays very nice with my 650s, the k701s and the HF-1s...

Mar 13, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
If/when I don't feel like dealing with my tube amp, I just use my Lavry and yes it plays very nice with my 650s, the k701s and the HF-1s...

pfkman, is the lavry amp inferior to the singlepower or what are your opinions. i have the singlepower and was considering a lavry for my first external dac
thanks

Mar 13, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianS
pfkman, is the lavry amp inferior to the singlepower or what are your opinions. i have the singlepower and was considering a lavry for my first external dac
thanks

In regards to the headamp, yes it is inferior. Thnat said IMO the lavry's primary function is the DAC and not the amp. That being said I feel that he amp in the lavry is quite good, and for what you get (a decent amp and a good DAC) I think that The Lavry is probably one of the better bargains out there.

However that being said, I do not feel that the comparison is fair nor should it be made. The MPX3 is an amp and that's it, I see the Lavry as a DAC first and a headamp second (or maybe not even). In conjunction with each other I think the pairing is phenominal. Of course the great thing IMO about the SP by default is I can tweak the sound however I want it, bsed on the tube combos that I use.

So in short it's a debate/comparison that I don't like to make. I could be happy with either of them, and yes both companies are great about backing their products.

Mar 13, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #7 of 23
I have a Lavry DA10 that I bought with the specific intention of using as a DAC and Preamp in a speaker system. In that role, it is getting sourced by a SqueezeBox3, CD Transport, or iRiver iHP-120 in turns (gotta love those three inputs), then the balanced output goes to a Bryston 3B ST power amp, and on to my speakers. A lovely setup that does everything I need.

This being Head-Fi, however, I could not resist checking out the Lavry's internal headphone amp, and connecting up balanced cables to Senn HD650's to try the balanced XLR outs. I was very impressed with both. The Lavry's headphone amp is easily the equal of my Corda Aria, but a little different - perhaps a tad more forward. Ah, but the balanced outs to the 650's - I was shocked at how good that combo sounded. The Senns came alive with great soundstage, both side to side and front to back, and very nice detail and separation of instruments, vocals, etc accross that stage. Just lovely.

So, although I did not get my Lavry with the intention of using it as a headphone amplifier, I would not hesitate to recommend it for such use based on what I heard from it.

Mar 13, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #10 of 23
where can one buy a balanced cable for hd650? what are the benefits of balanced gear?

Mar 13, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
I have a Lavry DA10 that I bought with the specific intention of using as a DAC and Preamp in a speaker system. In that role, it is getting sourced by a SqueezeBox3, CD Transport, or iRiver iHP-120 in turns (gotta love those three inputs), then the balanced output goes to a Bryston 3B ST power amp, and on to my speakers. A lovely setup that does everything I need.

This being Head-Fi, however, I could not resist checking out the Lavry's internal headphone amp, and connecting up balanced cables to Senn HD650's to try the balanced XLR outs. I was very impressed with both. The Lavry's headphone amp is easily the equal of my Corda Aria, but a little different - perhaps a tad more forward. Ah, but the balanced outs to the 650's - I was shocked at how good that combo sounded. The Senns came alive with great soundstage, both side to side and front to back, and very nice detail and separation of instruments, vocals, etc accross that stage. Just lovely.

So, although I did not get my Lavry with the intention of using it as a headphone amplifier, I would not hesitate to recommend it for such use based on what I heard from it.

Good to hear you're using it to its full capability, with good success.

Mar 13, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg
How can Lavry's amp be better than tube amps (like PPX3)? Isn't it more of a personal preference, since tube sounds different than solid state?

Of course you are correct. Please do not take my comments above to mean the Lavry DA10 is better or worse that any given amp, just that it can play in the same league as headphone amps in the $350 - 800 range, and that certainly includes the PPX3. Which is better is an entirely personal choice.

Mar 13, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #15 of 23
you can email lavry directly and buy from them i believe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back