Who's using portable amps only for big cans?
Feb 9, 2010 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

tjumper78

Headphoneus Supremus
i sold gilmore lite w/ dps and littledot mk iv se a while ago, and have been using portable amps (pico, 3move, d3 python, headsix) with big cans.
right now, i am using hd600 (sold to another member today) and ibasso p2.
with a pico coming in a week or two, i am getting very excited.
bigsmile_face.gif

so who else is using portable amps with big cans? what is your impressions?
please dont post things like "you need big amps to drive big cans" here. most of us already know that, and know the advantages and disadvantages of using portable amps.

right now, i am using ibasso p2 and hd600. soon to be pico and beyer dt990.

Feb 10, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #2 of 45
I use to power my Grado SR80's with a Pa2v2, they both broke almost a year ago, but I remember enjoying them a lot, I now power my SR60 with a Fiio E3 and plan on a Grado SR225/Mini3 Combo soon, can't wait for the audible satisfaction

Feb 10, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #4 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so who else is using portable amps with big cans? what is your impressions?
please dont post things like "you need big amps to drive big cans" here. most of us already know that, and know the advantages and disadvantages of using portable amps.

Sorry, sorta new to portables in general. What advantages do you get with a portable besides well...portability? Am I missing something? Thanks.

Feb 10, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #5 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasahara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, sorta new to portables in general. What advantages do you get with a portable besides well...portability? Am I missing something? Thanks.

You get the pleasure of using an Ipod
floatsmile.png
/end sarcasm;
but seriously what other kind of advantages can there be? it allows you to listen to music on the go, if you're primary a home listener then you don't need portables, but pretty much anybody that likes listening to music should get be able to enjoy it while walking/running or even while riding your bike like what I do

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #6 of 45
My RSA P-51 Mustang drives the hell out of my ATH M50 full size cans. Don't know how it would fare with all others though. If it doesn't sell this next week though, I will also be driving a new set of Pro 900s with it.

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #7 of 45
absolutely I do!!, mostly I use my JH13 or UM3X, but I often rock my HD600 or woody D2000, primarily at night if i'm going for a walk to the shops when its nice an quiet so the sound is unbelievable, or just if I feel like it like today, just got back from a daytime jaunt enjoying my music while others rock out to the leakage from FiQuest->HD600 (portable cable)
tongue.gif

and yeah, errm its because they are portable that portable amps are great
biggrin.gif
I have other amps when at home, but TBH the FiQuest puts out so much power that I could live with just that, or perhaps 2 of them to run dual mono/balanced
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #8 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fortgammon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You get the pleasure of using an Ipod
floatsmile.png
/end sarcasm;
but seriously what other kind of advantages can there be? it allows you to listen to music on the go, if you're primary a home listener then you don't need portables, but pretty much anybody that likes listening to music should get be able to enjoy it while walking/running or even while riding your bike like what I do

Ah, thought that was it. OP mentioned advantage in plural so I thought I was missing something.
bigsmile_face.gif
Thanks.

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #10 of 45
I'm more interested in transportable (something to match the Topaz form factor) then portable or ultraportable, but I'm happy to drive fullsize cans except the K601 from a 'small amp' : I just cant be bothered hooking the T3 up to my iPod most of the time when I have the X - it will put acres of sound into my notoriously leaky Grados without distortion. No rubber bands, no charging a second gizmo, no messing around with a funky volume control - heaven on the move.

Larry, Rob and others regularly give feedback on the portables that do the best job of driving big cans but for genuinely portable use I still think IEMs rule. I agree that having a single small amp to do everything would be great, assuming you dont have the budget for a fullsize amp and a portaably, something like the 3MOVE might be the answer to those prayers.

Feb 10, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #11 of 45
My first and only amp I have is the iqube, and I use it with the HD650. Can't compare it with desktop amps, as I've never tried one, but many a time I've turned around thinking something droped behind me/someone entered the room etc. Can't complain!

Last weekend I listened to some music on the hd650, and on monday when I did the same with the livewires, I thought the drivers died because they sounded so "small".

I'll probably spend more on IEMs in the future, and maybe play around with speakers!

Old pic:
AudioRig.jpg

Feb 10, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #12 of 45
I also use portable amps quite a bit and started that way. But to be honest, even the most powerful of portable amps (admittedly, I've NOT heard the Lisa) isn't able to output as much low end bass on my DJ1Pro as a semi-low end home amp.

But, other than that, a good portable amp can really drive headphones nicely.

Feb 10, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #13 of 45
Count me in - I drive my K701s with my Millet Hybrid Portables.

Feb 10, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #15 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
uh oh.. i cancelled the dt990 250ohm order, and ordered the 600ohm version.
i believe in pico.

great choice, you will not be disappointed
beyersmile.png

btw, did you get them at B&H? they had an incredible sale for $236 for the 600ohms, dunno if they still have it now tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back