Who's more deranged? Bach vs Beethoven !
Apr 11, 2006 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 79

Peyotero

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys!

I wan't to get into classical but "ordinary/conventional" music annoys me.. O_o i don't "connect" to it.. Please HELP!
580smile.gif

So who would it be? You can suggest other masters to, but it must be classical.

P.S
i never heared any of them.

**Disclaimer** no disrespect intended by this thread!! not the artists nor their listeners. i'm just like that
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #2 of 79
"Do you believe I am thinking of your wretched fiddle when the spirit moves me?"

- Beethoven (or close enough quote, not precise)

Apr 11, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 79
If we're talking about real insanity, Robert Schumann spent his last days in an asylum and Richard Wagner had to have had, and was probably undiagnosed with, something.

Mahler and Wagner are the big two for me, with Bruckner coming in third, or second - depending on how I count. You, though, would do well to pick up a copy of Glenn Gould's 1981 performance of Bach's Goldberg Variations. It's about twelve dollars and a cornerstone of Bach performance.

Apr 11, 2006 at 8:21 PM Post #5 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by PSmith08
If we're talking about real insanity, Robert Schumann spent his last days in an asylum and Richard Wagner had to have had, and was probably undiagnosed with, something.

Mahler and Wagner are the big two for me, with Bruckner coming in third, or second - depending on how I count. You, though, would do well to pick up a copy of Glenn Gould's 1981 performance of Bach's Goldberg Variations. It's about twelve dollars and a cornerstone of Bach performance.

How could I forget them... Im just happy I believe I spelt all of their names right
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #6 of 79
Schumann suffered from multiple personalities. But I find his music comparatively conventional (even though they reflect his different personas).

If you want classical music that doesn't sound ordinary, Beethoven would be a great start, followed by Stravinsky and probably Berlioz. Handel also was a manic-depressive and produced some tremendously exciting music.

Apr 11, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #7 of 79
If you want the antithesis of ordinary and conventional in contemporary composition, the best thing I can recommend for you is Conlon Nancarrow. About as deranged as it gets, as well.

The man is untouchable.

Apr 12, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #8 of 79
Beethoven was much more deranged than Bach. Beethoven was deaf, a horrible slob and mean as a snake. He took his brother to court for possession of his brother's son, and changed the name of one of his biggest works after a politician disappointed him. According to one story, he died after shaking his fist at God. He also wrote some of the greatest, most revolutionary music ever conceived.

By comparison, Bach was a mild mannered church organist.

Other deranged composers (besides the ones that psmith mentioned):

Berlioz - Driven mad by obsession over a woman - she finally fell for him and he lost interest.
Tchaikovsky - Driven mad by, among other things, confusion and guilt over his sexual orientation; probably gave himself cholera on purpose by drinking infected water.
Scriabin - Thought he was God.
Mahler - Got therapy from Freud himself.
Shostakovich - Lived in constant fear of the secret police; reportedly composed secret subversive code messages into his music.

The list goes on and on, actually. The line between genius and insanity is pretty thin...

Apr 12, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #9 of 79
Handel apparently composed the Messiah in just 24 days, during one of his manic phases.

Mozart probably had some issues with his parents that would have landed him in therapy in a later age - and he remained infantile throughout his life.

Schubert - syphillis and depression in his last years.

Apr 12, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #10 of 79
In Shostakovich's defense, it's not paranioa if they really are out to get you (and they were)....

Apr 12, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #11 of 79
Neither are ordinary or conventional. Both were extremely ahead of their time, Bach more so than Beet, IMO. By the general classical music standards, neither are modern or progressive. If that's what you mean by "deranged" then you may want to look into something more like Mahler or Shostakovich. Any of their symphonies will suffice. Feel free to pm me with any more classical music questions, as I would be very happy to help you out...
biggrin.gif

Slade

Apr 12, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #12 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sladeophile
Neither are ordinary or conventional. Both were extremely ahead of their time, Bach more so than Beet, IMO. By the general classical music standards, neither are modern or progressive. If that's what you mean by "deranged" then you may want to look into something more like Mahler or Shostakovich. Any of their symphonies will suffice. Feel free to pm me with any more classical music questions, as I would be very happy to help you out...
biggrin.gif

Slade

Not to disrespect them or anything (I love some of their music), but Mahler and Shostakovich are not modern or progressive. They were way more backward-looking and conservative than Beethoven for his time, especially when you consider that their contemporaries included people like Strauss, Schoenborg, Debussy, and Stravinsky.

Apr 12, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #13 of 79
You want deranged, try Schoenberg
very_evil_smiley.gif

Atonal music just scares me . . . . I'm guessing it'll take another 5 years before I begin to understand Schoenberg.

Although Schoenberg probably won't help much in getting you 'connected' to classical music.

Try some Mahler, Stravinsky (Rite of Spring and Firebird prob), or Debussy.

Or if you like your head to spin, Ravel's Bolero.
icon10.gif

Apr 12, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #14 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis
Beethoven was much more deranged than Bach. Beethoven was deaf, a horrible slob and mean as a snake. He took his brother to court for possession of his brother's son, and changed the name of one of his biggest works after a politician disappointed him. According to one story, he died after shaking his fist at God. He also wrote some of the greatest, most revolutionary music ever conceived.

True enough on the surface, but I've never found one bar in Beethoven that sounds as twisted as some of the harmonic clashes in Bach. Look at the Prelude #2 in c minor from the Well-Tempered Clavier. It starts out as a rather manic, but fairly orderly machine-like pattern. But then it starts destabilizing and spinning off into distant keys, finally collapsing into a tailspin. A passionate appeal restores enough order to bring the mad adventure to a close, releasing a sigh of relief as it turns to major in the final measure. A full mental breakdown & recovery in just under two minutes! Just because the man was a church organist didn't mean he wasn't seething inside!

Apr 12, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #15 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by xchagg
You want deranged, try Schoenberg
very_evil_smiley.gif

Atonal music just scares me . . . . I'm guessing it'll take another 5 years before I begin to understand Schoenberg.

Although Schoenberg probably won't help much in getting you 'connected' to classical music.

I used to feel that way about Schoenberg...atonal, difficult, etc.

Then I heard Verklaerte Nacht. Whaddya know, Schoenberg also made really moving and beautiful tonal music. I highly recommend you try it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back