who's dropped $$$$$$$$$$$$$
Jan 22, 2005 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

UserNotFound

100+ Head-Fier
http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Me...gory_Code=AMPS

I am sitting wondering, has anyone dopped big bucks on somehing the even WE think is just excessive? Anything to compare to a $485 volume knob?

For myself, I would invest in improving my hearing to begin with....before even considering how laqcuer affects the sound....

Jan 22, 2005 at 6:21 AM Post #2 of 8
Five minutes on a router plus two hours for staining could produce that knob.

Yes, that is pretty sick. While reading an issue of Stereophile, there was a spot about a certain record player NEEDLE (just the cartridge and needle by itself) was $12,500. I figured that had some very significant quality to it.

But for a wooden knob. No more than $5...

Jan 22, 2005 at 6:37 AM Post #3 of 8
For anyone who would buy one of those knobs, you might be interested in my patented Neutrino Protection Device.
(Neutrinos are dangerous particles that cause micro vibrations in the delicate signal path and cause degradation.)

$1000 a roll.
Buy today!

prod_01.gif

Jan 22, 2005 at 7:08 AM Post #4 of 8
I don't think that it would do much for neutrinos. Maybe other atomic particles effected by an EM force, but I doubt a neutrino. However, if someone buys into your new found theory, I want to be your business partner!
icon10.gif

Man it's late.

Later,

Jan 22, 2005 at 7:13 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turing
Neutrinos are dangerous particles that cause micro vibrations in the delicate signal path and cause degradation.

No kidding!

Neutrinos can react with neutrons in the nucleau and cause a nuclear reaction via the exchange of ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE W particles. The result is the generation of a proton and an electron, both of which are charged. Now imagine this occurring in the materials that constitute the signal path. You will get new electrons and the transformation of an element to a different element (such as copper to zinc, or silver to cadmiun). In fact, this process was carefully studied by a famous physicist at my university and he won a Nobel Prize for that.

Although nobody talks about it, there are actually billions or even trillions of neutrinos flying through your audio equipment every second. The bad news is that it takes something like one light year of solid lead to completely stop the neutrinos from penetrating. Resistance is truly futile! Any claims about a device that can shield an audio gear agianst neutrinos is complete bogus and must be considered as "audio snake oil."

In all seriousness, although everything I described above is scientifically correct (to the best of my knowledge), no audiophile should really bother about neutrinos turning their silver cable into cadmuim. These neutrinos interact very weakly with other matters. Chances are you are not going to see even one copper atom turn into zinc in your lifetime. Forget about neutrinos and enjoy your audio.
tongue.gif

Jan 22, 2005 at 7:24 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyloch
Five minutes on a router plus two hours for staining could produce that knob.

Yes, that is pretty sick. While reading an issue of Stereophile, there was a spot about a certain record player NEEDLE (just the cartridge and needle by itself) was $12,500. I figured that had some very significant quality to it.

But for a wooden knob. No more than $5...

the stain itselft is like $200 for a small amount, lol

Jan 22, 2005 at 7:53 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
In all seriousness, although everything I described above is scientifically correct (to the best of my knowledge), no audiophile should really bother about neutrinos turning their silver cable into cadmuim. These neutrinos interact very weakly with other matters. Chances are you are not going to see even one copper atom turn into zinc in your lifetime. Forget about neutrinos and enjoy your audio.
tongue.gif

yeah... everyone, go enjoy your audio! Don't worry about a thing! It's not like i'm going to use my neutrino cannon on all head-fi'ers
wink.gif

*reloads cannon*

nope! not at all!
biggrin.gif

honestly, though, you CAN hear a difference with those nobs!!! no really. I can guarantee you that stopping the microvibrations with that nob can make the 3 millibel distortion go away!

Jan 22, 2005 at 9:04 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turing
For anyone who would buy one of those knobs, you might be interested in my patented Neutrino Protection Device.
(Neutrinos are dangerous particles that cause micro vibrations in the delicate signal path and cause degradation.)

$1000 a roll.
Buy today!

prod_01.gif

Don't forget to market it's ability to be molded into an alien mind-control protection device aka aluminum pirate hat....ARRRRGGGGHHH <=== my best cheesy pirate scowl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back