Who's built a Dynahi already?
Nov 11, 2004 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Earwax

Headphoneus Supremus
Over 40 people bought boards in the first group buy, but I didn't see that many post in the build questions thread.

How many have built an amp already? How hard was it to build?

Nov 11, 2004 at 12:56 AM Post #3 of 14
I bought the board from the first group buy but i haven't found the time to source/shop out the parts for it yet... I haven't even started on my subsonic mini gilmore board.

I have so little time and when I do have time I have no money!
frown.gif

Nov 11, 2004 at 2:22 AM Post #4 of 14
I have the boards 80% complete, the power supply about 50% complete, and will hopefully have it bench-test-ready by Thanksgiving.

Nov 11, 2004 at 4:46 AM Post #5 of 14
I had a pair of amps from the first group buy built within a week of receiving the boards.

Sourcing the parts before the boards shipped made it very easy to find them.
wink.gif

As far as how hard it was to build it goes:
It was nothing compared to matching the transitors....verifing the servo worked correctly and building the stepped ladders for the volume controls.
600smile.gif

Nov 11, 2004 at 4:51 AM Post #6 of 14
I am 95% finished with my Dynahi. Just have to receive a power supply, wire it, do the DC-adjustment, and voila! The one power supply went bad and is still going through warranty repair at Condor. Incidentally I sent Condor an email today inquiring about the status, but haven't received a reply yet.

Nov 11, 2004 at 4:58 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX
I had a pair of amps from the first group buy built within a week of receiving the boards.

Sourcing the parts before the boards shipped made it very easy to find them.
wink.gif

As far as how hard it was to build it goes:
It was nothing compared to matching the transitors....verifing the servo worked correctly and building the stepped ladders for the volume controls.
600smile.gif

Which transistors need matching? How many extras would you suggest buying?

Nov 11, 2004 at 5:46 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax

As you know the Gilmore SS amps are all fully complementary designs. Ideally all transistors on the top half should match their counterparts on the bottom half. In addition, even though the dual-JFETs should be perfectly matched from the factory, in reality they are not. So picking from a batch would be good. Unfortunately, those 2SK389/2SJ109s are fairly expensive so that kind of limits how many one would buy...

Nov 12, 2004 at 5:29 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by chillysalsa
And how exactly would one go about matching the transistors?

For the JFETs, you want to measure the Idss and try to find the best match between the two within the dual package, as well as between the N-channel and P-channel units. For the BJTs, you want to find the best match of the DC current gain (hfe) as well as the Vbe voltage drop, both while the transistor is operating near the intended collector current. It's a bit much to go into detail here but there are plenty of web resources that you could find just by searching.

Quote:

Also, was there something I read about cutting a lead off one of them?

I don't think so...

Nov 12, 2004 at 9:14 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax

For a single amp at least four extras.... they matched reasonably well from the factory but I had a couple that were way out in left Field and sent them back.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 13, 2004 at 2:28 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by chillysalsa
So, to measure Idss of the JFETS, would this make sense:
Jfetidss.jpg

Yes, or you can bridge a resistor across where you have the ammeter, and measure the voltage drop across it instead. Compute the current using ohms law: I = V / R.

For P-channel, reverse the power supply polarity and do the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back