Whoo I built my lil adapter :)
Jul 20, 2001 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

chych

The butter knife's second victim.
Well, my first DIY project has been done, a simple 247 ohm adapter for my Beyer DT831s... The MG Head's output aren't exactly impedance changing so such an adapter is needed... probably for any high impedance headphone... but for sure, the 831's treble has been calmed down, does not slice your head like how it did before. Bass might be a little better too...

So, like, all I did was get a 1/4" plug, solder two 247 ohm to its leads, and a wire on the ground, and fed it to a 1/4" jack. Works like a charm.

Aug 5, 2001 at 11:35 PM Post #3 of 5
Surely this just means that a large proportion of the amps power output is dissipated in the resistors you soldered in. Do you have to turn the amps volume up now to get the same volume in the headphones as before? In which case this negates the benefit buy increasing the demands on the amplifer to a level where it has trouble driving once again.

Or have i got this all terribly terribly wrong? I'm sure i have. Perhaps i dont understand exactly WHAT your adapter is doing.

Aug 6, 2001 at 1:02 AM Post #4 of 5
I don't know why you want pics of it, it is all covered in electrical tape and has a 1/4" on one end and a 1/4" jack on the other... so its this thick black wire with things at the end. Pretty simple...

Ok so here is the deal. The Beyerdynamic DT831 runs best at a high impedance load on the amp, specifically 250ohms. The MG Head apparantely cannot switch impedance loads properly so it remains at a low impedance (that impedance switch isn't quite the same, it is why many of us have a hard time discerning between the low and high settings). The DT831s aren't at their optimal amplification.

Now as we know, the DT831s are bright. When increasing impedance, high frequencies are rolled off (check http://www3.head-fi.org/forums/showt...=&threadid=495), so putting the load to 250 ohms will decrease the brightness to more listenable levels. Thats the whole purpose of the adapter.

It does not decrease the volume by a significant amount, one 'click' up on the MG Head will put it back to the volume it was before the adapter.

Aug 6, 2001 at 2:51 AM Post #5 of 5
Specifically, in the link chych provided, see aos's first post for a good and simple explanation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back