Whole-album tracks
Mar 31, 2011 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

k00zk0

Head-Fier
I have this affinity for albums where, while they may be split into individual tracks, the tracks seamlessly progress, sometimes with no cue whatsoever between the songs. The cuts can be every 5 minutes with no relation to events in the music, because the artist intends it to be an hour long journey, or otherwise needs that amount of time to get their message across, with no skipping, pausing or jumping.

List some of these long albums! I generally see them called rock-operas, but even works classified this way may have songs, and sometimes sound a lot like rock and opera, like Dream Theater, or Ayreon.

Many artists from genres all over, my favorite being electronic or heavily processed/synthesized music, do this as well. Most ambient works do this album-track thing, as they may be meant to steer the hour of activity in a positive direction during the course.

What is this formally called if it has a name?

List your worthy seamless works!

Apr 1, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
What is this formally called if it has a name?

It's called "Jethro Tull", and you should seek and listen 
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 1, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #5 of 8
Electronic music is a great place to find stuff like this. I'd suggest Spor's Supernova Promo Mix, Netsky's Self Titled Album Mix for DnB. If you like Dance, check out Clubland Classics 2 album mixes. If you like Hardcore Clubland also does an X-Treme series. Almost every Electronic album with multiple artists on it will have a full album mix. It's always a fun thing to listen to.

Apr 2, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #6 of 8
I do know some 1 track albums:
Jim 'O Rourke - The Visitor
Acid Mothers Temple & the Melting Paraiso U.F.O. - La Novia (although a re-release features two extra tracks, the original only has one)
A lot of william basinski releases

Also, multiple tracks (all as far as i can remember because I haven't listened to these for a long time) but in reality one track:
Plastikman - Consumed
Natural snow buildings - The Dance of The Moon and The Sun (however, this is a double cd, but both cd's feature one long track)
Darkspace - Darkspace II

Apr 2, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #7 of 8
Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness
Edge of Sanity - Crimson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back