Whoally Gradodynamics Batman...c-pads rule!
Feb 24, 2006 at 4:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

megawzrd

500+ Head-Fier
I just got my c-pads today in the mail from Larry at Headphile (I practically had to cut them out of the mailbox becuase the box was such a snug fit...thats the problem with those back loading mailboxes....the door makes the opening just tad smaller).

Anyways I quickly installed them on my grado sr80s, borrowed the headband from my dt990s real quick and I am loving every bit of it. They fit perfectly snug...no bottom flare for me. Its the grado sound I love with bass on par with beyerdynamics
basshead.gif
and I can barely tell I am wearing them since they are so light compared to the beyer's. These are the z-bowls btw. Oh yeah and that awesome guitar sound that grado's are known for...still here. It also seems that they are a touch darker sounding...but still very much grado. I don't mind the slight darkening of the sound at all.

I know one thing...I am gonna have a tough time getting to sleep for work tomorrow (9 and 1/2 hours left before I should be heading to work tomorrow). I'll caffinating it up tomorrow for sure.
biggrin.gif

..maybe I will take these monsters to work with me just for tomorrow. These grados were my main work cans. I can imagine myself itching like a fiend without them.
tongue.gif

Thanks Larry!

Feb 24, 2006 at 4:57 AM Post #3 of 16
Well I am unschooled at posting pics and the whole image hosting thing

I tried uploading a pic at putfile.com and cc'd the url in the image link and i guess its not working.

(NEVERMIND)

Feb 24, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #4 of 16
Congrats! I think I'm one of the few who use C-Pads on their HP-2, and lemme tell ya - I wouldn't have it any other way! Great stuff!

Feb 24, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #5 of 16
Good show with the C-pads, although I have never heard Grados with this set-up, I kinda regret not doing so before I got rid of the HF-1s. My question is, What do you give up by going with this mod? And if there doesn't appear to be a drawback, Why the hell doesn't Grado make a circumaural headphone instead of the ear-burning, soundstage-squishing supra's? Hmmm..

Feb 24, 2006 at 5:39 AM Post #6 of 16
This is making me try harder to justify spending $119 on some mahogany Z-Flats. DAMN YOU!
frown.gif

Feb 24, 2006 at 6:15 AM Post #7 of 16
Congrats!! I have wanted to try these since Larry first introduces them but I just can't bring myself to pay $99 for pads for $79 headphones.
eek.gif
I nearly stroked out trying to get up the moxy to pay $30 for flats.

Feb 24, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #8 of 16
WOW, I really like the look of the black wood to match the drivers. That by FAR is the best looking set I've seen. Who would've thought that such a simply match would look so clean. Congrats, this is the first picture I've seen that is actually making me think about c-pads

Feb 24, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #9 of 16
I really wish my C-pads would hurry up and get to me. I ordered Zeta Flat Ports for my MS2i's. and it is just so hard to wait the 3-4 weeks that Larry says he need to get to your order.

Feb 24, 2006 at 2:13 PM Post #11 of 16
"Buy low, mod high"

...then move up to the flagship in the line...225s or 325is will probably be sitting in those c-pads next, then I will take my sr80s back to work with the stock pads.

Just as I told Larry when I ordered the c-pad's...I am anticipating that "my dt990s will soon become jealous" and lonely.

Feb 24, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #13 of 16
When I ordered the c-pads I was a little weary of people complaining about fit and bottom flaring (not sealing around the ear properly). I never really understood what the cause of the fit problems was:

I have seen some people blame the pad needing to be broken in.

I have heard people recommending the headband from a beyer 770 or the likes to help with the fit. But nobody ever really explained why the magically headband solved the problem of flaring or fit. But I just threw my dt990 headband on there anyways.

If you look at the look at the picture closely you can see what I am talking about:

The pad mount or wooden frame for the pads obviously makes these cans larger (going superaural to circumaural). The problem comes in at the headband mount / adjustment posts. The plastic blocks (the ones labeled L and R) can get it the way if the block is set too low on the metal adjustment post (a tighter fit…for people with smaller heads this is where that problem of flaring comes in). The now larger circumference pad mount will hit the plastic blocks and not allow the can to swivel fully.

I noticed this when I was tweaking my fit and it felt sort of ‘off’. I felt around with my hand and noticed my left can wasn’t swiveled out the same as my right can and gave me that slight bottom flare. I took it off…looked and found the interference (plastic L/R mount to c-pad mount interference). I just had to tweak it an 1/8” and get it to clear / swivel. That’s why when you use a pad the metal post opens up (plastic blocks go up) and gives the clearance for the swivel (as you can see beyer headband pads works nice). I like a snug fit so I just barely get enough clearance.

If I wanted a tighter fit I guess the easiest way to do it is add more padding. I was also thinking you could have a slightly smaller metal strap cut and snap fitted so you would get a “crescent moon” effect and put your pad around that. But you’d probably have to be a small child or have a really small head for that to be needed.

Anyways…hope this sheds a little bit of light on the fit subject.

Feb 24, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Buy low, mod high

LOL, nice saying Garet
icon10.gif

Those Pads make my HF-1 look shabby, and my X SR-80 jealous
redface.gif

Anyway congrats on the New Upgrade megawzrd, I wish you many happy listening hours
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back