Whoa, magic karma (or: I'm dumb)
May 20, 2005 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

fappar

100+ Head-Fier
EDIT: So now it is just clicking and hissing, and turning off. Can't updatefirmware; it just doesnt get picked up by my computer. I sent a message to rio, hopefully they can fix

Some of you may remember my broken karma. It just kinda didnt work, so I went without a dap for a while, and got an ipod almost exactly 1 year ago. I always missed my karma, cause it is a work of art, as far as DAPs go. Playlist on the go=:drool:, and I prefer the quality to the ipod.

So tonight, almost randomly, I went to the rio support website, read the "
- Bad Karma or Hard Disk Failed Error" section, and followed the 1 step instructions (install firmware)

So now I am sitting here listening to ATC (Some seriously gay techno that I'd lost when the karma died) bobbing my head like a school girl.

Funny enough, the firmware process only got about halfway before timing out. Then I accidentally didnt hold the menu button enough (for recovery mode) and it just booted up nice and easy. I'll install the firmware now, though.

May 20, 2005 at 4:13 AM Post #2 of 4
No you're not crazy. I'd gone through a similar thing only to find that my issue was with a corrupt earlier firmware upgrade. The advice I'd gotten from another board was to do a reformat and clean install. Lost my playlists but this baby hasn't given even so much as a hiccup since. Nice that an old friend decided to come back for an extended visit, huh?
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
No you're not crazy. I'd gone through a similar thing only to find that my issue was with a corrupt earlier firmware upgrade. The advice I'd gotten from another board was to do a reformat and clean install. Lost my playlists but this baby hasn't given even so much as a hiccup since. Nice that an old friend decided to come back for an extended visit, huh?
biggrin.gif

I cannot even express how much better I like this already than my ipod (gen2? (right before clickwheel)).

The music on here was backed up, of course, but the external hard drive that carried my music backups at the time died also, so all of this was lost.

And my eggos are broken, so are my v6s, and my ksc-35s, but I'm about to get either sennheiser 600s or something beyer (770 or 880)

The karma is alot louder than the ipod, too. These headphones (cd280s- lol) are absolute crap, and I have been using my ipod set permanently on 100% volume just to get something listenable out of them. I'm getting a really nice thump here at 20/30 on the karma

May 20, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 4
Not trying to get into a which sounds louder match, and agreeing with you that the Karma can drive headphones louder than the IPOD ( I own both ), why not try EUPOD and up the volume setting to 45% or around there for your music files so you don't have to have the IPOD always at 100% volume, thus also affecting your battery life. Plus, using it with MP3 gain, It doesn't add any distortion to the music on the player. It's an option at least until you get better headphones. I've used EUPOD to maximize the volume when listening to the player with a pair of Sony 7506's and it drives them nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back